Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 11-05-2003, 03:12 PM

Default Difficulty - SOA vs CAS

From one of the polls, I know there are people out there that wrote both the CAS and SOA Course 3. For those of you that did, could you please comment/compare the difficulty of them. I'm fairly certain that I scored less than 15/40 on the SOA ... but I just went through the CAS and answered 17 of the first 20 correctly. I work in the PC field and debated which exam to write, but went SOA since it was a week later and there was no penalty for guessing. Maybe I've already answered my own question as to which on was more difficult. Any thoughts on it being easier as it was the CAS's first time around with their own Course 3?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:23 PM

Didn't take the SOA exam nor did I review it now that it's out. I do believe that the CAS was fairly easy, but I am worried more about the curve getting me. Simply taking the first 20 questions of the CAS exam should not be enough as it was basically broken down by topic and chapter so the mix of questions varies greatly from start to finish.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:37 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

I sat for both and, as I mentioned in another thread, the CAS was easy, but not a gimme. I would agree with expunge that the curve will be a killer for most who feel they did decently, because from what I hear, most did well in the first place. Now, I DID take the SOA in addition to the CAS. It was HEAD AND SHOULDERS above the CAS in difficulty. I would not wish the SOA version on my worst enemies. I got in the 75% area on the CAS and a hair above 25% on the SOA. I am extremely glad with my choice to spend the extra $350 out of my pocket. It will be worth the pass and raise.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:11 PM

ditto. However, I should not take the SOA 3 since I knew I passed the CAS already. Just spent 350 for nothing.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:13 PM

Has the CAS exam been posted on their website? If not, will it be? Also, sorry for the dumb questions, but is there a big change in the syllabus from SOA3 to CAS3 or just some minor tweaks?