Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 4/C - Construction and Evaluation of Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 01-30-2015, 11:55 PM

Current adapt level is a 9.35. I'm really nervous for this exam. It's my 3rd time taking it and I'm wigging out.

I think I'll try Mahler and the SOA samples problems to see how I do.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:09 AM
CAS

b.oss... what are your thoughts on the earned lvl vs exam difficulty?
Old 01-31-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralBurnsides View Post
b.oss... what are your thoughts on the earned lvl vs exam difficulty?
My two times I've taken it I would say the exam was a 6+. You also have to factor in that some problems seemed to be worded strangely. So while they may be easy to solve once you figure out what they're asking, identifying the actually question increases the difficulty.

Although I've heard others say their exam was about a 5.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:33 AM
CAS

Are you taking lvl 7+ exams? If so how can you handle all the long computations needed... are those long computations on the real thing?
Old 01-31-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo Von Matterhorn View Post
I agree. Even exams in the 5.5 region are too calculation intensive.

I believe a lot of the problems on the actual thing will test whether or not you know short cuts in certain topics. There'll be a few that are calculation intensive, but ADAPT exams in the 6-7 range are too impractical in terms of calculation.

It's kind of frightening that people report their actual exams felt like a 6-7+ ADAPT exam. I don't think I could touch a 7 level exam.
So I've taken 6 level 7 exams. In all of my Adapt exams, regardless of difficulty, there are several questions with long calculations. The most common type of "long calculation" problem are the Empirical/Semi Parametric Bayesian estimation with non-uniform exposures. Unless you're given summary stats there are no applicable short cuts to take. The best advice I can give you on those is to simply take your time and make sure you don't make any errors. The math is easy on them so just get them right.

There are countless difficult problems that don't take much time to solve once you understand the wrinkle.

For instance if you look at question CT0172 on Coaching Actuaries (I can't find the equivalent in the ASM), you see the difficulty is 10.36. But it's not very long at all.

There are a few long calc problems. Abe gives you one with a Generalized Pareto and you must solve for one of the parameters by using Method of Moments 3 times. I usually skip it.

If you're concerned about time I suggest you do this. Get a stop watch and time yourself taking problems. Focus on taking your time and getting each step right instead of time. Then see how long it takes you to solve the problem. You'll see that the 6 minutes you're given for most problems is more than enough time.

I think the most helpful shortcuts are knowing the variance of a Pareto-2 distro, variance of a Gamma, and all of the conjugate priors. Hope that helps.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:08 AM
SOA

Studying for Group Health Advanced
College: Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo Alumni
Favorite beer: Yes

Up to 5.83 EL on ADAPT. Feeling pretty good about the material, but I don't know if I will be able to reach an EL of 7 before the exam.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:39 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac805 View Post
Up to 5.83 EL on ADAPT. Feeling pretty good about the material, but I don't know if I will be able to reach an EL of 7 before the exam.
Sitting at a 5.63 (for the last 4 exams). Was feeling good but the lack of increase has killed my confidence a little.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:57 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlxsugarbearxlx View Post
Sitting at a 5.63 (for the last 4 exams). Was feeling good but the lack of increase has killed my confidence a little.
Keep at it! I was stuck at 5.83 for a few exams, but rocked one last night and increased to 6.52. 11 days left for me, need to finish strong!
Old 02-02-2015, 02:35 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlxsugarbearxlx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac805 View Post
Keep at it! I was stuck at 5.83 for a few exams, but rocked one last night and increased to 6.52. 11 days left for me, need to finish strong!
I sat at a 6.38 for 3 exams, dropped to 6.24 and sat there for 4 exams, then finally increased to a 6.52. The level 6.5+ exams are most of the time insanely difficult and I end up scoring a 22/35... then I look at the questions and the 13 I get wrong are above a level 8. I'm feeling pretty comfortable, but it would definitely be better for my confidence if I could get to a 7. Or, just score 26+ on a level 6.5-7 exam.

Edit (forgot to finish): @mac805 - what level was the exam you took that bumped you to a 6.52?
Old 02-02-2015, 03:01 PM
SOA

The exam that bumped me to 6.52 was for some reason only a 5.4. Not sure how I randomly drew that...

Anyways, scored 29/35 and made 4 dumb mistakes. Feeling pretty good about the material, but I know I won't be sleeping good the next 10 nights.

Tags
simulation