Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-09-2018, 03:42 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Watch out for those load-bearing walls.
I'm not doing any of the construction this time.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:39 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Also, watch out for load-bearing posters.

Iím only familiar with one of the amps you posted - AudioSource, which is a brand I quite like. Not that expensive and they perform well and are reliable.

One thought - maybe get a multi zone receiver? I donít know if they support as many zones as you have though. They offer apps now to control them and the interfaces are pretty slick. Maybe you can already control sources and volumes, and donít need to convert from digital to analog etc.

If not, I suspect you are on the right track. Itís probably cheaper to buy one amp vs 4-6 smaller amps. The cost of wiring one vs many is inconsequential.

And yeah, this is the one advantage of a full remodel.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:55 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Also, watch out for load-bearing posters.
You looking at my gut??

I'M WORKING ON IT!!!
DTNF's Rťsumť Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:48 PM
CAS

Quote:
If not, I suspect you are on the right track. Itís probably cheaper to buy one amp vs 4-6 smaller amps.
I don't know about that. This is one of the nicer ones that puts out more power per channel than any of the above ones and it is $66. It is class D, which I don't know what that means.
https://www.amazon.com/【UPDAT...mini+amplifier

There are some cheaper ones too ($26), but maybe the quality isn't as good:
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Home-Hi...mini+amplifier
Old 07-10-2018, 03:37 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
You looking at my gut??

I'M WORKING ON IT!!!
RN. Classic.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:49 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
I don't know about that. This is one of the nicer ones that puts out more power per channel than any of the above ones and it is $66. It is class D, which I don't know what that means.
https://www.amazon.com/【UPDAT...mini+amplifier

There are some cheaper ones too ($26), but maybe the quality isn't as good:
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Home-Hi...mini+amplifier
Iím not familiar with all of the Chinese amps. At a given level of Ďquality,í which is tough to define, itís cheaper to buy one 8-channel vs four 2-channel. But amps these days are super cheap, so if you had one fail and needed to replace it, not a huge deal.

Check out Parts Express as well, I canít recall if their Dayton amps come in multi-channel or no. Dayton gear is consistently high quality and affordable.

Oh, Class D just refers to the topology. The audiophile elite might tell you that Class A is where itís at, those are $$$. Class D amps are efficient, reliable, and many of them sound just fine (imo).
Old 07-10-2018, 10:19 AM
CAS

Quote:
Check out Parts Express as well, I can’t recall if their Dayton amps come in multi-channel or no. Dayton gear is consistently high quality and affordable.
I'll have a look.
EDIT: So this looks like exactly what I want...
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...0wpc--300-8150
Quote:
Oh, Class D just refers to the topology. The audiophile elite might tell you that Class A is where it’s at, those are $$$. Class D amps are efficient, reliable, and many of them sound just fine (imo).
I ended up reading about it after I posted for a bit and I think given the rare usage of these things for my purpose, I'd definitely go with the D for efficiency.

Last edited by ahow; 07-10-2018 at 10:34 AM..
Old 07-10-2018, 11:34 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
RN. Classic.
Glad I could contribute to the thread!
DTNF's Rťsumť Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:44 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
I'll have a look.
EDIT: So this looks like exactly what I want...
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...0wpc--300-8150

I ended up reading about it after I posted for a bit and I think given the rare usage of these things for my purpose, I'd definitely go with the D for efficiency.
Yes, that Dayton should work very well. Iím not sure how many channels you need, but twelve is quite a lot. You can bridge them as needed if you need fewer channels and want more power in a certain room.

One other thing, do you plan on adding subwoofers? If so, then you will have to add some additional wiring. This amp could power a sub, youíd need a crossover. If you want a sub, or subs, we can figure that out. There are in-wall subs if stealth is your goal.

Also, Parts Express is your friend for wiring and accessories. If you need anything itís worth checking there. I buy a lot from them and Iíve never been let down.
Old Today, 01:46 PM
SOA

I'm more and more fascinated with psychoacoustics. Some folks have figured out how to legitimately simulate surround sound using just two speakers. The song below on YouTube is the best example I've found yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8EnEsyAL4I

The first two minutes will sound like just a normal recording. But at about 2:15, it suddenly changes to a much wider sound. If you have a good 2-channel system (or 2.1), a listener at your main listening position will be convinced that you've got surround channels on. I've heard plenty of songs with wide soundstage, but this one takes it to a new level.

I'd never heard of this group before. This title came up on a list of songs that were used in a "shootout" between two speaker systems, each $20,000.

Last edited by Egghead; Today at 02:21 PM..