Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:16 AM
CAS

Default Offsite backup for Macs

So, I did tons of research, and decided to go with Crashplan, and they promptly went out of the consumer business, and are now pretty pricey for my needs. So I'm shopping again.

TLDR specs: at least two macs, maybe 2 TB of data to be backed up. Want something that does versioning and can protect against ransomware.

more detailed description:
My household has two macs with a lot of crap (I have like a terabyte of mostly music files, since I edit music in my copious spare time, and my husband does a lot of work on his Mac desktop). We also have a PC laptop that's possibly worth backing up, and my husband has a macbook pro that he might want to backup. Anyway, lots of data, at least two macs. I'm not concerned with backing up the stuff on our phones, or our secondary PCs (I have a netbook and a spare/old Macbook Pro, for instance, but everything important on those lives on my primary laptop, too.)

Other considerations:

Because TimeMachine is awesome, we have excellent backups at home. We just need something off-site.

I know people at Carbonite, (for instance, I could get personalized tech support if I wanted it) but I'm told that their mac software is "really old", and I gather they are much better with PCs than with Macs. and I think we'd need two separate accounts, one for each device.

I use DropBox, and like it, but it's not really well designed for back-ups. Although I suppose most of what should be backed up is reasonably identifiable (photos, music, my husband's projects.) So it's not off the table. I happen to know they do robust versioning.

What else are folks recommending these days? why?
Old 06-06-2018, 10:34 AM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

I've used Backblaze for years and it works great. Unlimited backup size at <$5 per computer per month. You can even connect an external drive, and it will back that up too. No limit on backup size. They will even ship you a physical disk of your data if you need it fast (i.e. don't want to download TBs of data in the event of a total loss.)

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Quant | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our new R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 06-06-2018, 11:53 AM
CAS

i was kinda excited to see that E! had started posting again, but it turns out it was E
Old 06-06-2018, 12:39 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for unpacking boxes
Favorite beer: Bombadier, London Pride, Any Samuel Smith Beer

Wirecutter says backblaze

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...ackup-service/
Old 06-06-2018, 03:05 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
i was kinda excited to see that E! had started posting again, but it turns out it was E
I'm excited E posted. Hi Eddie!
Old 06-06-2018, 03:10 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
I'm excited E posted. Hi Eddie!
yeah, not taking anything away from E. E! was fun because he's a little jas-ish
Old 06-06-2018, 05:54 PM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

I'm using Crashplan for offsite backup (having moved over to the small business version after they axed their personal use client), and it's been mostly OK...but I use Windows, and I have no clue how their OSX client fares.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:28 AM
Non-Actuary

1. Buy a pair of 4TB hard drives
2. Keep one on-site, one off-site
3. Swap them periodically
4. Profit!

That's my strategy. My internet upload speed is a mere 10Mbits, so I won't even try online backup for multiple terabytes. For really precious data, like special photos and scanned pdfs of important documents, a 1GB encrypted container stored on DropBox is enough to hold it (and the 1GB container also is backed up to the 4TB hard drives).
Old 06-07-2018, 11:01 AM
CAS

So, it looks like my choices are backblaze, which is cheap, easy, and fast, but doesn't offer robust versioning. Or crash plan small business, which costs twice as much and does offer robust versioning.

I don't trust myself to swap disks regularly. That's a fine plan, but only if you execute on it. And my data is reasonably fast. And in the unlikely event I lose everything, I can probably wait a while to get my large files back.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:16 AM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
So, it looks like my choices are backblaze, which is cheap, easy, and fast, but doesn't offer robust versioning. Or crash plan small business, which costs twice as much and does offer robust versioning.
I looked at my backups, and Backblaze shows hourly version history for the last 2 days, then daily for a couple of weeks, then weekly going back 30 days. This seems pretty robust to me. I rarely need versioning more granular than that unless I'm actively working on files, but those are all in Dropbox, which does much more granular versioning.

Most of what I rely on Backblaze for is "cold storage" -- i.e. my massive photo and video libraries and other data that I just want replicated away from my home and office in the event of a total local loss.

Quote:

I don't trust myself to swap disks regularly. That's a fine plan, but only if you execute on it. And my data is reasonably fast. And in the unlikely event I lose everything, I can probably wait a while to get my large files back.
Agreed. I used to swap disks and run local backups with Time Machine, etc., but Backblaze handles things so well that it just seems like a waste of time -- especially doing something that I will inevitably screw up myself or forget to do.

Bonus tip: if you have really sensitive data you want to back up to Backblaze (or any cloud plan), just put it in an secure disk image on your Mac. It will just back up that disk image.

You can also pull down Backblaze files anywhere. While it's not as ideal as Dropbox for active file retrieval from the web, it works fine nonetheless. When you select a file or group of files on the web UI for recovery, it will email you a link to a zip download for them. You can download this anywhere.

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Quant | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our new R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn