Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-29-2018, 09:16 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 5
College: UC Berkeley
Default Parallelogram method in SQL or VBA?

I'm working on automating our premium on-leveling. I'm trying to decide if I want to do everything behind the scenes in SQL or pull the raw data into Excel and then use a VBA macro.

Thoughts?
Old 06-29-2018, 09:18 AM
CAS

Well, I hate VBA, so I'd say either SQL or just do it with formulas. It's not a large calculation.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:18 AM
SOA AAA

How are you doing this?

1. By summing all past premiums at a premium-level definition and applying all rate increases after their date?

2. Or by taking all past policyholders and applying the current premiums to their past enrollment dates?
If your company has various discount options, for #2 you'd need every single variation of premium and then know which one applies to each policyholder at each time period.

I usually do #1, and in Excel, since I do it infrequently, and for a lot of data. No VBA required, just wait for it to finish recalculating, then Paste-Value the formulas over themselves for 20000 lines (leaving one formula line for the next time).

I used to do #2, but for very simple products with no discounts, in SQL. Had all (current and historical) premium rates loaded to the SQL Server, then summarized all past premiums by multiplying the past's restated exposure to current premium rates.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.

Last edited by Dr T Non-Fan; 06-29-2018 at 11:22 AM..
Old 06-29-2018, 02:00 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 5
College: UC Berkeley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
How are you doing this?

1. By summing all past premiums at a premium-level definition and applying all rate increases after their date?

2. Or by taking all past policyholders and applying the current premiums to their past enrollment dates?
If your company has various discount options, for #2 you'd need every single variation of premium and then know which one applies to each policyholder at each time period.

I usually do #1, and in Excel, since I do it infrequently, and for a lot of data. No VBA required, just wait for it to finish recalculating, then Paste-Value the formulas over themselves for 20000 lines (leaving one formula line for the next time).

I used to do #2, but for very simple products with no discounts, in SQL. Had all (current and historical) premium rates loaded to the SQL Server, then summarized all past premiums by multiplying the past's restated exposure to current premium rates.
1 is parallelogram method and 2 is extension of exposures, yes? I want to do 1.

The way we do it now, we have an excel file with all past rate changes. We have rate changes by product, by territory, and by peril.

Currently we have to locate the rate changes with effective dates in the last 6 years (bc on-leveling 5 years of premium), then pasting those rate changes into the on-leveling excel file. Then I have to calculate the weights to apply to each calendar year of earned premium. This step is partially automated, but needs to be adjusted and is usually the longest step. Once that is done I need to manually adjust a few other formulas because I likely added or deleted a few columns in the last step.

Finally, I need to update the footnotes with the correct filing numbers of the rate changes that were used in the first step.

I believe I can automate most of this. Just wondering if it would be best to have excel pull the data, then apply a macro to calculate the weights and put everything in it's proper place, or just write a sql procedure to do everything so all I need to do is pull the on-leveled premium.