Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Old 12-03-2008, 12:17 PM

Studying for MFE/3F
Default Accredited distance learning prep course?

Hi all -- First time poster. I hope I get this right.

Executive summary
I've been reduced to part-time at my non-actuarial job. I have credit for Exams P/1 and FM/2 and am studying for MFE/3F for 5/15/09. Unemployment insurance might reimburse me for exam prep expenses, but they might require the training to be from an accredited educational institution (as opposed to, say, NEAS or TIA). Is there a college distance learning course that covers this material? Do you have any other suggestions?

Edited to add: I've since heard that I likely am indeed eligible for support for NEAS/TIA-type programs. So, urr, nevermind

Stuff I've tried so far
  • I looked for in-person courses in my home state (Minnesota). The only ones I found required you to be enrolled in the school's special degree program. I seek a single course only.
  • I searched the MFE and Actuarial Universities forums on "correspondence course" and "distance learning"
  • I looked at http://soa.org/education/resources/ (although I haven't yet looked at each of the actuarial programs listed there...again, I'm looking for a single course only)
  • I Googled on "'distance learning' black-scholes site:*.edu"

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Marid Audran; 12-03-2008 at 07:49 PM..
Old 12-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marid Audran View Post
Hi all -- First time poster. I hope I get this right.

Executive summary
I've been reduced to part-time at my non-actuarial job. I have credit for Exams P/1 and FM/2 and am studying for MFE/3F for 5/15/09. Unemployment insurance might reimburse me for exam prep expenses, but they might require the training to be from an accredited educational institution (as opposed to, say, NEAS or TIA). Is there a college distance learning course that covers this material? Do you have any other suggestions?

Stuff I've tried so far
  • I looked for in-person courses in my home state (Minnesota). The only ones I found required you to be enrolled in the school's special degree program. I seek a single course only.
  • I searched the MFE and Actuarial Universities forums on "correspondence course" and "distance learning"
  • I looked at http://soa.org/education/resources/ (although I haven't yet looked at each of the actuarial programs listed there...again, I'm looking for a single course only)
  • I Googled on "'distance learning' black-scholes site:*.edu"

Thanks in advance.
The ASM manual is $100 and since you are working part-time I assume you should be able to put in the time to teach yourself. If you have trouble with self-study (I always thought I did until I tried it for FM) you might have trouble getting very far with the exams. You might not be able to be reimbursed for the $100, but it will teach you what you need to know to pass the exam, which is more important.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:05 PM

Studying for MFE/3F

Quote:
Originally Posted by no driver View Post
The ASM manual is $100 and since you are working part-time I assume you should be able to put in the time to teach yourself. If you have trouble with self-study (I always thought I did until I tried it for FM) you might have trouble getting very far with the exams. You might not be able to be reimbursed for the $100, but it will teach you what you need to know to pass the exam, which is more important.
Thanks, this makes sense. I do know the importance of self-study (learned that the hard way passing FM/2). The structure of a course is not a must-have but a nice-to-have, and if unemployment will pay for it then so much the better. Thanks again for the reply.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:48 PM

Studying for MFE/3F

Update: I have learned that I am likely eligible for support from my state's Dislocated Workers Program, even for NEAS/TIA-type seminars. So my interest in an accredited program is not as great as it was when I first posted. It still might be of interest to others though.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:45 AM
SOA AAA

College: Go Gators!!!

You might want to consider getting a VEE or two out of the way, too. If they are paying, might as well take advantage of the situation.

Tags
distance learning