Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > That card g@me that starts with P
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 12-13-2017, 05:16 PM

Favorite beer: Ummmmm....Beer
Default Hands for Discussion

Hands for discussion 1 3 No Limit $100/$300 buy in:

1) UTG puts on the straddle ($6). Folds to the hero in MP and opens to $18. Hero starts the hand with $325. HJ and button both call. Blinds and straddle folds. Flop 7h 4h 4s. Hero bets $30, HJ folds, Button raises to $90. After this raise the button has $60 behind. Hero?

What hands do you continue with here? If you continue all the $$ is going in on either the flop or turn.

2) UTG and UTG+1 limps. Hero is next to act and raises to $18. Folds to the early limpers who both make the call. Flop comes As 8d 4h. UTG checks, UTG+1 bets $40. Hero folds KK and UTG folds.

Is this too weak? Folding the second greatest starting hand to a relatively big bet post flop. Thinking probably should have called and see what UTG+1 did on the turn.

3) Villain and Hero both start the hand with $300. UTG+2 opens to $6. Villain in MP calls. Hero calls on the button and the SB calls. BB folds. Flop comes out Td 7c 3d. UTG+2 bets $6, villain calls, hero calls and sb folds. Turn is the Kc. UTG+2 checks, villain bets $35, hero calls and UTG+2 folds. River is Jc. Villain checks. Hero bets $60. Villain pushes all in for $253. Hero calls.

It was the first orbit for the villain. Had a “gold” players card which signifies a higher $$ player which may have influenced decision.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:21 AM
Non-Actuary

Here are my initial reactions.

Hand 1: Feels like button has 88-TT. I agree all the money is going in if you continue, so you should just push here if you're going to play, right? I'd probably only do that with the flush draw, 56, maaaaaybe AK, but I'm usually tighter than that. Any overpair seems like an obvious push.

Hand 2: Weird donk bet by UTG+1... if he has an ace, why is he betting here instead of check-raising? If he wants you to raise (as if he's on a set or two pair), wouldn't he bet smaller to entice your raise? There are hardly any draws out there so it's strange that he would make a bet of that size. The pot isn't huge either, so a straight steal seems unlikely. Do you have any info at all on this villain? I would just ditch the $18 and look for a better spot.

Hand 3: Not sure what the question is here? I don't have any info on your hand so it's hard to say whether you acted appropriately or not. He's obviously representing the flush... I probably would have just checked down the river.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:29 AM
SOA

I really do not play cash at all. Take all of these with a grain of salt. This also might be too much for 1/3 players.

1) I'm continuing with any made hand above 7s and would think hard about 55-66 (but you don't have this as played). I'm also continuing with AK maybe AQ with either no heart or 2 hearts 89hh+. I just can't put anyone on a 4 here enough to fold the made / nonheart hands getting 2:1 in total. And I'm probably shoving the made / nonheart hands and flatting the heart ones.

2) This is read-based and stack size for me, and in position I'm almost always waiting to fold turn. The flop is WAY too good for 44 and 88 to bet out and AA doesn't play it this way. AK very big discount too. No blinds so 48 has got to be out of the question. So this is an A or air, unless we think something like 89 is trying to block or 77s just seeing if you have an A, but why so big? I think I'm talking myself into a fold. I still think I'd use position and wait one more street.

3) I misread this hand. Fold unless you have top 2, Q9 or a flush.

Last edited by SnareSound; 12-14-2017 at 10:37 AM..
Old 12-14-2017, 11:13 AM

In hand 1, hero had Kh Jh.
In hand 3, hero had 3c 5c.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:37 AM
Non-Actuary

So in hand 1 you pushed in, what did he show up with? Also curious about what he had in hand 3 - I'm suspecting the nuts.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:55 AM
SOA

So hand 1, did you push or call? I'm a little worried in that spot because a ton of hands that aren't made are super discounted now. I probably call if I think he can't fold.

Hand 3... tough spot. Probably played it fine presuming you called. But you're beat a lot.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:09 PM

Hand 1 decided to get it in right there on flop. Villain called with KK obv lol. Interesting way to play that but guess he got it in good.

Hand 3 villain proudly showed Ah Qd. With villain's bet on the turn, actually put him on a 2 pair or big king type of hand. Guess a turned straight made sense as well. Decided to bet on river with intention of calling any raise but you typically dont see river raises in these mostly passive games.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassy View Post
Do you have any info at all on this villain? I would just ditch the $18 and look for a better spot.
Not really. From the hour or two that had been playing together, he seemed decent and not too tight but not a limping every hand either type of player. With position, thinking he has to slow down on the turn without a 2 pair or AK maybe AQ type of holding. Felt bad about folding even tho most likely am beat. Just thinking that you cant fold this every time or its exploitable by good players.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:20 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohete009 View Post
Guess a turned straight made sense as well.
Except he didn't turn a straight...? Maybe he was just taking a stab at it and then got there on the river and didn't even consider you possibly having the flush.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:33 PM

Oops, yeah guess a straight on the turn is impossible lol. The hand Hero had is pretty well disguised. Hard to put a player on a flush there.