Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 08-11-2018, 03:41 PM
SOA

College: Abilene Christian University, Alumnus
Favorite beer: Does Rum Count?
Default Resume critique

Afternoon! Since I recently passed Exam FM a few days ago, I've been working to patch up my resume, in an effort to make it more appealing. One thing I've thought about doing was creating a separate section for my exams and leaving my university specs to itself. Any advice is much appreciated; thank you for your time.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Resume Draft 2018.pdf (72.4 KB, 49 views)
Old 08-11-2018, 05:39 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Yes, exams merit their own section and don't really belong with college stuff. It is probably the most important thing on your resume (other than phone and email), but you've effectively hidden it. And you've made the education section much harder to read than most resumes.

The profile is a waste of space and hard to read. You've already got the degree and major on the resume. What you're looking for might be OK to list (and if you do that, it would be an Objective section), except that you've not listed one thing, you've listed two or three, depending on how you count them. I'd not call it an opportunity. That makes the job sound like a trial, which may be true enough depending on where you get hired, but companies would like to think that the person they're hiring is someone who will be right for the job and not just someone they're gonna try. If you use opportunity, it should be singular, not plural. You're looking for a job from this company, not a bunch of jobs. "next" made me glance at the resume to see what your previous "opportunity" was. Turns out there wasn't one, which probably puts you into the "trying to mislead" category. Trying to mislead ends up in the garbage. I'd keep the focus on why the company should hire you and not on what you'd love. And you're completely missing the point of a job if you think its point is to make you grow and learn. There's no need for someone who doesn't "contribute" in a company. It is the important part, not a "I can not only ... but also...". Think of it from the reader's perspective.

OK. Actuarial Exams section first (or after a very very very short Objective. no BS. no filler. just the purpose of this resume). I'd try to make it so that the number of exams stands out without the reader even having to read the section. So I'd get rid of the bullets. I'd have fairly-closely-space left-aligned columns of name, passed or sitting, and date. I'd use abbreviated month and year for date - Mmm yyyy. (btw, 6th August 2018 is awkward enough that I'd guess you're a non-native English speaker. I'd avoid that format). I think the grades are a waste - especially since you have only one and it is OK. If you include the grades, I'd definitely not explain the grades. You're writing to an actuary, you know. Don't insult your reader.

I'd not put anything in parenthesis.

I'd right justify all dates except for exams. Again, I'd abbreviate months. I'd leave a blank on either side of a hyphen in a date range.

I'd put education next. You don't need bullets after the exams are gone. I'd put the Concentration in Actuarial Science on a separate line. I'd include GPA on another line. Personally, I like the periods in B.S. I guess the deal is that schools always list it that way.

Oh, I forgot. I'd indent all text under the section headings. That will make the overall format stand out more.

I'd put experience next. I'd not have a non-bullet followed by a bullet. You seem to be implying some sort of hierarchy that just isn't there.

I'd get rid of all the bullets. The grader jobs are obvious. I had a better impression of what you had done as a TA before I read the bullets. You're definitely better off without mentioning passing out exams and all that.

"Managed to meet expectations" is hilarious. By definition it is expected that you'd meet expectations. Managing to do so is not something to hype. Hyping it as if it were something special is a negative.

I'd leave off the "Microsoft"s. I'd put Excel first. If you had more to sell, I'd have left off Word and PP, too, but you probably feel you need the filler and that's OK.

Hyping one semester of dean's list isn't that great. You're basically pointing out that your GPA was low every semester after your first freshman semester.

I might hype the award if it is something to hype. If you had more awesome stuff on the resume, it might be a good idea not to explain so as to beg a question about it, but I think you should probably hype what you can.

The margin looks like it might be just a little small. I'd leave an inch.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:12 PM
SOA

College: Abilene Christian University, Alumnus
Favorite beer: Does Rum Count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
Yes, exams merit their own section and don't really belong with college stuff. It is probably the most important thing on your resume (other than phone and email), but you've effectively hidden it. And you've made the education section much harder to read than most resumes...
I must say this was much more in depth than I had originally thought it would be. For that I thank you for the response. So I decided to streamline the resume and keep it short; wanted to see what you thought about it.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Résumé Draft 2.pdf (64.9 KB, 27 views)