Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Quantitative Finance and Investment (QFI) track > QFI Core Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

QFI Core Exam Old Advanced Portfolio Management Forum

Old 08-11-2018, 12:02 AM
SOA

Default what are the end of chapter problems should i solve?

I know Eric Chin for sure, but is Neftci end of chapter problem should also be tried? i skipped the most problems of that book. Is there any other books's problem that needs to be solved?
Old 08-14-2018, 04:52 PM
SOA

College: Brown University

Quote:
Originally Posted by quant_wannabe View Post
I know Eric Chin for sure, but is Neftci end of chapter problem should also be tried? i skipped the most problems of that book. Is there any other books's problem that needs to be solved?
From the students I have talked to, many work some but not all problems from the MFD textbook. Like you said, Chin is the highest priority because the SOA calls out specific questions they expect you to work. MFD is still helpful, and the SOA has certainly used some of the end-of-chapter problems as motivation for exam questions (particularly in earlier exams).

The PWIQF and MIP textbooks also have end-of-chapter practice problems. They are easy to find online, but if you have any trouble just PM me.

Here's how I personally would prioritize practice problems:

#1) Chin textbook problems
#2) Study manual practice problems (e.g. TIA)
#3) MFD textbook problems
#4) MIP textbook problems
#5) PWIQF textbook problems

You also have past SOA exam questions, which you'll obviously want to do as well.

For Chin - you must do all problems the SOA calls out, but for the other textbooks I think it's very important to not get too bogged down trying to solve every practice problem on your first pass through the syllabus. Some people attempt to do every MFD textbook problem on their first pass, and then it is easy to fall behind on your study schedule. I think it is better to keep a good pace, and you can always loop back and do some of those practice problems closer in the 1-2 months prior to the exam. So to summarize, for MFD/MIP/PWIQF it's perfectly ok to save some practice problems to solve for the last month before the exam. I think this is a good approach to make sure you stay on pace, and aren't rushing through the final sections of the syllabus right before the exam.

Also for MFD, the 3rd edition is on the syllabus - but only the 2nd edition has a published solutions manual. See here for more information (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=332247).

From my experience, most students complete all of #1 & #2 in my list above, and then typically do some (but not all) of #3 - #5 depending on their study schedule and how much time they have. For many people, practice makes perfect for these exams and getting practice problems under your belt can really help. Just make sure you have a good, realistic schedule and stay on pace!

Also very important - try all problems out on your own before looking at the solutions. Jot down any common mistakes you make.

Hopefully that helps and good luck

QFI Quant | QFI Advanced | QFI IRM | LRM | ERM

Last edited by Zakfischer; 08-15-2018 at 08:32 AM..