Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > SoA Exams - General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-31-2018, 11:36 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Favorite Beer
Default Typing Instead of Writing for Higher Level Exams

I think it's time the SoA & CAS consider allowing exam takers to type their answers for FSA/FCAS exams (an option if an exam taker prefers to type). Here is why I think so:

From an exam-taker's perspective:
1)The purpose of the exam is to test your knowledge and not physical writing/writing speed/writing clarity. I agree on communicating an answer to a problem. Typing is a much convenient method of writing/communicating an answer for most, and equally consistent.
I'm sure students have failed not because they didn't know how to solve a problem or answer a question, but because they didn't write clearly enough (typically due to time constraints) for an examiner to understand what they were saying. Most candidates learn to write for the exam, and only for the exam.

2) The most familiar tool actuaries (and most professionals) use today to solve problems (be it quantitative or qualitative) is a computer. As the exam focuses on practicalizing the questions asked in the exam room, answers and delivery methods should be as practical as possible too, especially if knowledge of the material can be proved in a such a way.

3) Many other professional exams have the option to write or type. So I presume there is some proof of concept. And if there are symbols or math equations to be used, candidates could write these on a paper for submission - or provisions could be made to input those symbols and equations

There are a lot of benefits for graders and the exam committee too.
Any thoughts and feedback on this?
Old 11-01-2018, 12:01 PM
Non-Actuary

Honestly, itís a great idea that needs to happen sooner rather than later. Iím 100% confident that Iíve failed exams in the past thanks to my crappy handwriting and slow writing speed. Taking the test on a computer more closely mirrors the real world. It also enables all sorts of detailed questions impossible with pen and paper (e.g., assessing a loss development triangle with more than 3 or 4 diagonals).

The CAS actually implemented something like this for the spring 2018 sitting for exam 5. Unfortunately though, they implemented it in the dumbest way possible, and everything about that sitting was a spectacular failure to the point where computer based testing is on indefinite hiatus for now. The idea was good, but the execution was terrible. Iím hoping that theyíll bring it back at some point.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:22 PM
CAS

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alum
Favorite beer: Red Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
Honestly, itís a great idea that needs to happen sooner rather than later. Iím 100% confident that Iíve failed exams in the past thanks to my crappy handwriting and slow writing speed. Taking the test on a computer more closely mirrors the real world. It also enables all sorts of detailed questions impossible with pen and paper (e.g., assessing a loss development triangle with more than 3 or 4 diagonals).

The CAS actually implemented something like this for the spring 2018 sitting for exam 5. Unfortunately though, they implemented it in the dumbest way possible, and everything about that sitting was a spectacular failure to the point where computer based testing is on indefinite hiatus for now. The idea was good, but the execution was terrible. Iím hoping that theyíll bring it back at some point.
CAS could not have done a worse job (I took that sitting). Until they can get around latency issues there's no point.