Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > That card g@me that starts with P
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 11-06-2018, 09:44 AM
SOA

Oops. I thought this was Tuesdays. Sorry all. I'm in next time!
Old 11-06-2018, 12:03 PM
= I Must Pass

Studying for drinking
Favorite beer: blue moon....cuz i'm a female

Fun game! Good write up. Knights was really putting the pressure on me with his big stack. Jerk. ��
Old 11-06-2018, 12:10 PM
SOA

College: UC Santa Barbara

good turnout! work interrupted so i had to sit out. very rude.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:49 PM

Thanks again as always for running it and for the write-up, and congratulations to the cashers. I felt like I was way too careless last night.

glassy, I'm curious what you think about the hand you went out on. I think I played it in a -EV way, but I felt it was close enough that my chip lead provided insurance in case it didn't work out. That might be a horrible way to approach things in a tournament though. I don't know.

Calling later with the 9 10 suited when 3 of us were all-in was due to similar thinking. But I think my hand was too weak there for that. Sure, the other two could have had cards that cancelled each other out, but that was just too careless I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listeria View Post
I don't think figure8 agrees with figure8 anymore.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:00 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by figure 8 View Post
glassy, I'm curious what you think about the hand you went out on. I think I played it in a -EV way, but I felt it was close enough that my chip lead provided insurance in case it didn't work out. That might be a horrible way to approach things in a tournament though. I don't know.
It was borderline. The longer you thought about it, the worse I felt about the hand, as it became obvious you had a big draw. I thought at first maybe you were on a pair + FD, then when you called and showed the combo draw I knew I was toast

But 15 outs / 44 cards = 34%, and you were getting a little less than 2:1 on a call IIRC, so the math says you're right on the edge. The fact that you had the big stack and could afford it probably pushes most people towards a call (and probably rightfully so). That's one of those situations where you could make a case for either option IMO... I was hoping for a fold but had it went my direction I would have been sitting pretty.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:07 PM
Non-Actuary

All that being said, I wonder if it makes more sense to just raise-shove that flop from your vantage point. Not sure I would have folded, but at least on the flop you have some fold equity, then two shots at the draw and you're favored over most hands.

From my perspective, did I play it correctly? Raised to 200 after 2 players limped for 50, then I think I bet about 675 into a 900 pot OTF and 2300 into 2725 OTT. Not sure what if anything I could or should have done different, interested to hear if anyone has opinions.

Interesting and fun hand, all around. That's why we play!
Old 11-06-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassy View Post
All that being said, I wonder if it makes more sense to just raise-shove that flop from your vantage point. Not sure I would have folded, but at least on the flop you have some fold equity, then two shots at the draw and you're favored over most hands.

From my perspective, did I play it correctly? Raised to 200 after 2 players limped for 50, then I think I bet about 675 into a 900 pot OTF and 2300 into 2725 OTT. Not sure what if anything I could or should have done different, interested to hear if anyone has opinions.

Interesting and fun hand, all around. That's why we play!
I don't think there's much you could have done differently. If I was in your seat, I probably would have made a larger bet on the flop, just to try to get anyone on a draw to fold. I don't know that that's the right thing to do; just that it's what I probably would have done. But given that I was on a straight and a flush draw, I don't know that there's any way I would have folded on the flop.

My one concern was that you had something like AK suited. That was in the back of my head and the reason I wasn't so aggressive. I think for me to shove after the flop would have been better than calling on the turn though - if I'm going to make that call on the turn, I might as well have shoved on the flop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listeria View Post
I don't think figure8 agrees with figure8 anymore.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMP View Post
Fun game! Good write up. Knights was really putting the pressure on me with his big stack. Jerk. ��
Ha! I certainly was trying! I was playing well before my horrible A4 Fiasco. After so many notgoodatpoker AIs as small stack, I really thought I was good there. But not sure how I make that call ,but don't make a call with AQ against a pretty obvious squeeze.

All these games really make me miss the good old days.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:31 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightsPG View Post
...After so many notgoodatpoker AIs as small stack...
I don't understand. As a small stack in a tournament (emphasis mine), the good poker player is either all-in or fold.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:36 PM
Non-Actuary

notgoodatp0ker is a player's screen name on PStars