Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 06-10-2014, 11:15 AM
SOA

I never understand the hype for Metal Gear. The graphics look great - the story is completely nonsensical. But for some reason a lot of fanboys think the 30 minute monologues that don't make any sense are really great
Old 06-10-2014, 11:28 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is my Alt View Post
I never understand the hype for Metal Gear. The graphics look great - the story is completely nonsensical. But for some reason a lot of fanboys think the 30 minute monologues that don't make any sense are really great
I think "completely nonsensical" isn't true. I can make sense of the story just fine. Now, it's highly ridiculous; but I think that's the point, and part of the reason people love the series. Kind of a "WTF will Kojima come up with next?"

The graphics are almost always top of the line, and that helps sell copies as well. I bet there are some MGS fans that don't even pay attention to the story.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Kinda glad I didn't go to the Sony E3 Experience in the theater last night. The giveaways weren't all that exciting from what I was told: Sony/PS Lanyard, $5 PSN voucher, Beta code for Battlefield (didn't everyone on PS4 get that?), and Alpha access to Destiny (only thing that would have interested me).
I had issues trying to sign up for the Battlefield Beta, and apparently it's full now. How could you give up the chance at $5?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by This is my Alt View Post
MGS1 was awesome and the story was more or less straight forward. MGS2 was ok once you got over the shock of a new character, but the story was a little more crazy, but still believable. MGS3 is really where the nonsense started exploding. I got through the first chapter of MGS4 and couldn't take it any more. That being said, I would pay $60 for an HD remake of MGS1, because I love that game and think it's the best crafted.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:24 PM

For those interested, I stumbled across a few deals.
Rayman Legends on WiiU $20
PS4 Camera for $50
Gold Wireless Headphones (with hidden mic) for PS4/PS3/Vita/anything with a 3.5mm headphone port for $80 ($20 off)
1-Year PS+ $40

I bought the headphones because they were getting good reviews, said they were comfy on large heads, and I enjoyed the Turtle Beaches I had on 360.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:38 PM
SOA

College: college is for squares

Did anybody see the game called No Man's Sky? PS4 release, it looks literally insane.

You can fly to different solar systems, each star has a set of planets, each planet with its own ecosystem.

Needless to say I was in awe watching the E3 preview.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:43 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarialyle View Post
Did anybody see the game called No Man's Sky? PS4 release, it looks literally insane.

You can fly to different solar systems, each star has a set of planets, each planet with its own ecosystem.

Needless to say I was in awe watching the E3 preview.
It's probably not getting much chatter because we've seen it before (I forget if it was at last year's E3 or TGS or something else).

I'm cautiously optimistic on that one. If they deliver everything they are saying, that game will be ridiculous.

I'm just not sure what the "game" part of NMS is. You can fly around and shoot stuff. But if everything is procedurely generated, and everyone starts on their own planet and can discover other people's planets, it seems too big of an environment to be a roguelike (like FTL) or a game with a tight narrative (like ME).

It honestly boggles my mind.

I just hope it's not the next Last Guardian...
Old 06-10-2014, 12:57 PM
SOA

College: college is for squares

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
It's probably not getting much chatter because we've seen it before (I forget if it was at last year's E3 or TGS or something else).

I'm cautiously optimistic on that one. If they deliver everything they are saying, that game will be ridiculous.

I'm just not sure what the "game" part of NMS is. You can fly around and shoot stuff. But if everything is procedurely generated, and everyone starts on their own planet and can discover other people's planets, it seems too big of an environment to be a roguelike (like FTL) or a game with a tight narrative (like ME).

It honestly boggles my mind.

I just hope it's not the next Last Guardian...
I think you hit it on the head when you say "cautiously optimistic". When a game offers features like this, most times the first thing I think about is roughly how they would go about doing that, practically.

It was the first time I'd seen it, but I heard their studio got flooded around Xmas time so they kinda scrambled for the E3 release. I'm hoping they use more of the PS4's capabilities and do something that totally melts my face off. I'm just waiting for that next game to really WOW me with something I've never considered before.

It really just depends on how much time they want to spend on it. A living online universe spanning tons of players over multiple planets? How big is this universe? Will it be gimmicky/repetitive?

Old 06-10-2014, 01:26 PM
SOA

"Open world" Zelda game looks pretty damn good.

2015 is gonna be a sick year for games...
Old 06-10-2014, 01:27 PM
SOA

Bayonetta 2 comes with Bayonetta 1 apparently. And she has "Nintendo" outfits...they showed her wearing Link and Samus outfits.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:29 PM
SOA

Are dynasty warriors games fun? This Hyrule Warriors hybrid looks pretty fun.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one