Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #16171  
Old 06-10-2014, 11:15 AM
This is my Alt This is my Alt is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,308
Default

I never understand the hype for Metal Gear. The graphics look great - the story is completely nonsensical. But for some reason a lot of fanboys think the 30 minute monologues that don't make any sense are really great
Reply With Quote
  #16172  
Old 06-10-2014, 11:28 AM
mlschop's Avatar
mlschop mlschop is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 36,417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is my Alt View Post
I never understand the hype for Metal Gear. The graphics look great - the story is completely nonsensical. But for some reason a lot of fanboys think the 30 minute monologues that don't make any sense are really great
I think "completely nonsensical" isn't true. I can make sense of the story just fine. Now, it's highly ridiculous; but I think that's the point, and part of the reason people love the series. Kind of a "WTF will Kojima come up with next?"

The graphics are almost always top of the line, and that helps sell copies as well. I bet there are some MGS fans that don't even pay attention to the story.
Reply With Quote
  #16173  
Old 06-10-2014, 12:22 PM
The Wizard of Awe's Avatar
The Wizard of Awe The Wizard of Awe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Kinda glad I didn't go to the Sony E3 Experience in the theater last night. The giveaways weren't all that exciting from what I was told: Sony/PS Lanyard, $5 PSN voucher, Beta code for Battlefield (didn't everyone on PS4 get that?), and Alpha access to Destiny (only thing that would have interested me).
I had issues trying to sign up for the Battlefield Beta, and apparently it's full now. How could you give up the chance at $5?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by This is my Alt View Post
I never understand the hype for Metal Gear. The graphics look great - the story is completely nonsensical. But for some reason a lot of fanboys think the 30 minute monologues that don't make any sense are really great
MGS1 was awesome and the story was more or less straight forward. MGS2 was ok once you got over the shock of a new character, but the story was a little more crazy, but still believable. MGS3 is really where the nonsense started exploding. I got through the first chapter of MGS4 and couldn't take it any more. That being said, I would pay $60 for an HD remake of MGS1, because I love that game and think it's the best crafted.
Reply With Quote
  #16174  
Old 06-10-2014, 12:24 PM
The Wizard of Awe's Avatar
The Wizard of Awe The Wizard of Awe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,324
Default

For those interested, I stumbled across a few deals.
Rayman Legends on WiiU $20
PS4 Camera for $50
Gold Wireless Headphones (with hidden mic) for PS4/PS3/Vita/anything with a 3.5mm headphone port for $80 ($20 off)
1-Year PS+ $40

I bought the headphones because they were getting good reviews, said they were comfy on large heads, and I enjoyed the Turtle Beaches I had on 360.
Reply With Quote
  #16175  
Old 06-10-2014, 12:38 PM
actuarialyle's Avatar
actuarialyle actuarialyle is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2014
College: college is for squares
Posts: 1,698
Default

Did anybody see the game called No Man's Sky? PS4 release, it looks literally insane.

You can fly to different solar systems, each star has a set of planets, each planet with its own ecosystem.

Needless to say I was in awe watching the E3 preview.
Reply With Quote
  #16176  
Old 06-10-2014, 12:43 PM
mlschop's Avatar
mlschop mlschop is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 36,417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarialyle View Post
Did anybody see the game called No Man's Sky? PS4 release, it looks literally insane.

You can fly to different solar systems, each star has a set of planets, each planet with its own ecosystem.

Needless to say I was in awe watching the E3 preview.
It's probably not getting much chatter because we've seen it before (I forget if it was at last year's E3 or TGS or something else).

I'm cautiously optimistic on that one. If they deliver everything they are saying, that game will be ridiculous.

I'm just not sure what the "game" part of NMS is. You can fly around and shoot stuff. But if everything is procedurely generated, and everyone starts on their own planet and can discover other people's planets, it seems too big of an environment to be a roguelike (like FTL) or a game with a tight narrative (like ME).

It honestly boggles my mind.

I just hope it's not the next Last Guardian...
Reply With Quote
  #16177  
Old 06-10-2014, 12:57 PM
actuarialyle's Avatar
actuarialyle actuarialyle is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2014
College: college is for squares
Posts: 1,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
It's probably not getting much chatter because we've seen it before (I forget if it was at last year's E3 or TGS or something else).

I'm cautiously optimistic on that one. If they deliver everything they are saying, that game will be ridiculous.

I'm just not sure what the "game" part of NMS is. You can fly around and shoot stuff. But if everything is procedurely generated, and everyone starts on their own planet and can discover other people's planets, it seems too big of an environment to be a roguelike (like FTL) or a game with a tight narrative (like ME).

It honestly boggles my mind.

I just hope it's not the next Last Guardian...
I think you hit it on the head when you say "cautiously optimistic". When a game offers features like this, most times the first thing I think about is roughly how they would go about doing that, practically.

It was the first time I'd seen it, but I heard their studio got flooded around Xmas time so they kinda scrambled for the E3 release. I'm hoping they use more of the PS4's capabilities and do something that totally melts my face off. I'm just waiting for that next game to really WOW me with something I've never considered before.

It really just depends on how much time they want to spend on it. A living online universe spanning tons of players over multiple planets? How big is this universe? Will it be gimmicky/repetitive?

Reply With Quote
  #16178  
Old 06-10-2014, 01:26 PM
mlschop's Avatar
mlschop mlschop is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 36,417
Default

"Open world" Zelda game looks pretty damn good.

2015 is gonna be a sick year for games...
Reply With Quote
  #16179  
Old 06-10-2014, 01:27 PM
mlschop's Avatar
mlschop mlschop is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 36,417
Default

Bayonetta 2 comes with Bayonetta 1 apparently. And she has "Nintendo" outfits...they showed her wearing Link and Samus outfits.
Reply With Quote
  #16180  
Old 06-10-2014, 01:29 PM
mlschop's Avatar
mlschop mlschop is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 36,417
Default

Are dynasty warriors games fun? This Hyrule Warriors hybrid looks pretty fun.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.98872 seconds with 12 queries