Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
I'm surprised that they would go for a rental model for PS Now... everything is going subscription these days and I think that companies like the constant stream of revenue. Even PS+ is that way, as well as their own Music Unlimited. Amazon & Netflix have a proven model that people like. Seems like a company that is out-of-touch with the market, as is often the case with Japanese companies. They are usually a step behind on the internet-based things as compared to the US.

I could see licensing / getting all that to work right may be a big headache.

That said, it might be fun to rent a game that has a short campaign just for a weekend.
Yeah, that is interesting.

Sometimes there are advantages to rentals WRT licensing. Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon have great libraries, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I really want to watch something new that isn't on the subscription services yet. For times like that, I'm willing to spend $5 to rent it on Vudu.

Basically, I'd be willing to pay a la carte if it meant a better selection.

From Sony's POV, they may still have their eyes set on the kind of revenue they got with the PSOne Classics market. If I remember correctly, FFVII pulled in about a million dollars in revenue in the month of it's release on PSN. No bad, and I can't imagine it took that much effort to put it on the network.
President Trump is a white supremacist.

Spoiler:
We've been over this many times, but since some people like to pretend we haven't, I'm using my sig as a place to list the fairly obvious examples of treating whites as superior to others.

Now, when lazy and disingenuous people try to claim ignorance, I'm 100% entitled to dismissing them as lazy or disingenuous. Hope it helps!

The short list
Old 06-11-2014, 12:55 PM

College: Ohio State Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is my Alt View Post
Played some Mario Kart 8 last night. Won a 150 CC cup and came in second on another one.

Is there a more challenging level than 150 CC? It seems like I should be able to completely stomp the computer once I get more experience
Try to beat the ghosts in time trial if you want a challenge.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:21 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by donny5k View Post
Try to beat the ghosts in time trial if you want a challenge.
Time trial is boring though. I like the chaos of the races. Just need better than CPU opponents.

Is the online any good?
Old 06-11-2014, 01:27 PM
SOA

I think the subscription model works for movies and music because the average person consumes several items in a given period. For games, some people settle in with a game for a month or so. At that point, and subscription model is not that different from a rental model.

I really really hope Sony gets pricing right. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that rental prices are going to be high. Like, I wouldn't be shocked if they try to get $3-4 for a 7-day rental of a game you can buy for $10.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:00 PM
SOA

College: college is for squares

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
They said it'll launch with 100 games. I think most will be PS3 games.
This is fine because I haven't played many PS3 exclusives and I'll have to catch up anyways to play things like Unchartered 4 and Killzone and the like.

On the other hand, plzzzzz bring back Crash Bandicoot Sony plzplzplzplzplzplz I wanna break wooden boxes and run around with a flying tiki mask and eat apples. What can I say? It brings out the eight year old in me.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
would those headphones work as wireless headphones for my bedroom TV? Because $80 is probably a fair bit cheaper than a couple marriage counselling sessions.
My understanding is that you could hook them up, but they wouldn't be wireless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by This is my Alt View Post
Played some Mario Kart 8 last night. Won a 150 CC cup and came in second on another one.

Is there a more challenging level than 150 CC? It seems like I should be able to completely stomp the computer once I get more experience
1) 150 CC Reverse is unlockable I bet
2) There's enough rubber banding, that I don't think you can consistently win even with practice.
3) Play people online for a challenge
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
I really really hope Sony gets pricing right. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that rental prices are going to be high. Like, I wouldn't be shocked if they try to get $3-4 for a 7-day rental of a game you can buy for $10.
I thought they already announced that prices would range from $2.99-$19.99
Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarialyle View Post
On the other hand, plzzzzz bring back Crash Bandicoot Sony plzplzplzplzplzplz I wanna break wooden boxes and run around with a flying tiki mask and eat apples. What can I say? It brings out the eight year old in me.
Someone made a Crash game for 360. It was not the Crash you know. I know you can buy the original 3 Crash games as PSOne Classics on PS3.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:09 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarialyle View Post
This is fine because I haven't played many PS3 exclusives and I'll have to catch up anyways to play things like Unchartered 4 and Killzone and the like.

First of all - shit I'm old

Second of all - I enjoyed me some Crash Bandicoot, and I think it's time for a comeback. However, I'm not convinced anyone can do it justice. I really don't want an "open world" Crash. If anything, take a page from Rayman games to reboot Crash.

According to rumors, Sony bought the IP from Activision late in 2013, so we may see a new one someday.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:11 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
I thought they already announced that prices would range from $2.99-$19.99
They did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
Someone made a Crash game for 360. It was not the Crash you know. I know you can buy the original 3 Crash games as PSOne Classics on PS3.
They DID?!?!
Old 06-11-2014, 02:44 PM

I was eavesdropping on people in Watch Dogs last night and came across an Actuary. I tried to take a screen shot, but it didn't work out. I can't remember was the character was known for, but it said she made $51,000. The game's believability went right out the window for me.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:43 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
I was eavesdropping on people in Watch Dogs last night and came across an Actuary. I tried to take a screen shot, but it didn't work out. I can't remember was the character was known for, but it said she made $51,000. The game's believability went right out the window for me.

I came across Aisha Tyler randomly on the street once. I know she does the Ubisoft E3 presentation, so I wasn't too surprised she was in the game. I was surprised I randomly came across her though.

Then I did an eavesdropping mission and there she was again...talking about her farts smelling or something really dumb.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one