Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #16241  
Old 06-14-2014, 12:26 AM
This is my Alt This is my Alt is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoo View Post
So RP bought a Wii U. I was um, kind of eyerolly about it. I just watched a trailer for Yoshi's Woolly World.... OMG...
Play Mario Kart, bro
Reply With Quote
  #16242  
Old 06-14-2014, 12:29 AM
This is my Alt This is my Alt is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoo View Post
So RP bought a Wii U. I was um, kind of eyerolly about it. I just watched a trailer for Yoshi's Woolly World.... OMG...
Just watched the trailer

Wow - that game has cool art direction. Looks like similar gameplay to Yoshi's Island
Reply With Quote
  #16243  
Old 06-14-2014, 09:34 AM
mlschop's Avatar
mlschop mlschop is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 36,417
Default

While I think Yarn Yoshi looks cool, I'm kinda surprised it's getting all the media attention given Nintendo did the yarn art style 3-4 years ago with the Kirby game on the Wii.

Having HD graphics probably helps.
Reply With Quote
  #16244  
Old 06-14-2014, 11:43 AM
snoo's Avatar
snoo snoo is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Basestar
Favorite beer: Summer Shandy
Posts: 18,567
Default

It's going to be awesome!!!!!
__________________
Hello.
Follow me.
Wait.
Reply With Quote
  #16245  
Old 06-14-2014, 10:55 PM
mlschop's Avatar
mlschop mlschop is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 36,417
Default

More thoughts/questions on Destiny:

- Am I missing something, or can you only have one mission available at once? That seems really annoying if that's the case...

- The "always on" gameplay is a bit annoying for people that need the flexibility of being able to pause the game. I didn't realize the menu button didn't pause the game until I died once in menu. I hope this is something that can be adjusted in settings and I just haven't bothered looking yet.

- Not as loot-crazy as I would like, but I guess they are taking a more serious route than Borderlands.

- Being able to spawn a speed bike to travel around is awesome.

- Having to open a cube and walk super slow just to see mission points and "bread crumb" trail for mission direction is pretty annoying.
Reply With Quote
  #16246  
Old 06-16-2014, 10:56 AM
whisper's Avatar
whisper whisper is offline
Member
CAS AAA
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago
Favorite beer: Hefewizen
Posts: 38,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
- Am I missing something, or can you only have one mission available at once? That seems really annoying if that's the case...
It's an alpha - so it's hard to say.

Quote:
- The "always on" gameplay is a bit annoying for people that need the flexibility of being able to pause the game.
It's a MMO, so you can't have a player pause without impacting everyone else.

Quote:
- Having to open a cube and walk super slow just to see mission points and "bread crumb" trail for mission direction is pretty annoying.
I was just relying on the arrow from the map.
Reply With Quote
  #16247  
Old 06-16-2014, 11:23 AM
sloppyjoe's Avatar
sloppyjoe sloppyjoe is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Detroit, MI
Favorite beer: Batch Brewing
Posts: 2,344
Default

Finished Chapter IV of The Witcher, on to the last chapter.

I'm still in a long quest to find the best way to play PC games with a controller. After using the PS3 and motionjoy/DS3tool and having that hiccup almost any time I happened to have friends over, I was set on waiting for the Xbox One controller to get Windows drivers. Well now it does, but you still can't use it wirelessly since they haven't sold an adapter for PC as far as I'm aware, and it's not bluetooth. Which reminds me of a reason I dislike MSFT and their priorietary b.s. (go figure that Sony, maker of memory stick, is fairly open on their consoles)

So... I came across some work that people are doing for the Dual Shock 4. I guess one guy made a way for it to emulate a 360 controller on PC, and that there was a fork in development since he stopped. Looks like it works via bluetooth, and my bluetooth dongle happen to work out-of-the-box on my Win 8.1 machine, which is the one that I plan to do the Steam streaming feature through.
Reply With Quote
  #16248  
Old 06-16-2014, 11:30 AM
The Wizard of Awe's Avatar
The Wizard of Awe The Wizard of Awe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
I've been playing Tomodachi Life for the 3DS recently.

The premise of the game is that you get your own island and you can populate it with Miis. Then will then interact with each other, ask you to buy them things, ask you to help them solve problems, etc.

The game runs on a 24 hour cycle with different content available at different times of the day. For example, every evening you can go and watch the Miis rap battle eachother. There are tons of experiences like this which is good, but they are all rather shallow. Once you've seen 2 or 3 rap battles, you've essentially seen them all.

There are mini-games too, but they all have a WarioWare level of depth though (make this person sneeze, catch this item, etc.) This is a problem I run into a lot in these kinds of life simulation games. They build this really nice world, but all the traditional "game" experiences in it are too shallow to hold my interest and keep me in the world. I thought the game Catherine did a really good job of this. About half of that game takes place in the same, one room bar. There are lots of interesting people to talk to, but there is also a rather lengthy arcade game that you can play too. This game within the game kept me playing Catherine for awhile.

Anyway, Tomodachi Life is really charming and has a good sense of humor. I'm sure there is a ton more content for me to experience, I just wish it was a little deeper.
This sounds a lot like Animal Crossing, but replace animals with Miis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiepie View Post
Meanwhile I finally started Skyrim, and OHMAN am I bored. The fighting is simplistic, the quests/dungeons are tedious, the dialogue is awful, and the story/world are flavorless. The most exciting moments are when I accidentally fall off a cliff.
Turn up the difficulty, instead of following the main quest, spin around and randomly stop, then head in that direction and explore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
More thoughts/questions on Destiny:

- Am I missing something, or can you only have one mission available at once? That seems really annoying if that's the case...

- The "always on" gameplay is a bit annoying for people that need the flexibility of being able to pause the game. I didn't realize the menu button didn't pause the game until I died once in menu. I hope this is something that can be adjusted in settings and I just haven't bothered looking yet.

- Not as loot-crazy as I would like, but I guess they are taking a more serious route than Borderlands.

- Being able to spawn a speed bike to travel around is awesome.

- Having to open a cube and walk super slow just to see mission points and "bread crumb" trail for mission direction is pretty annoying.
-I was wondering the same thing about missions.
-It's an MMO.
-Yeah, I was hoping for more loot in the alpha as well.
-Speed bike is sweet, especially when you spawn it and go into a building where you can't spawn it.
-Agreed. I would be ok with the bread crumb mission direction if I didn't have to re-open my cube after every 2 (about how long it stays up while sprinting).

My thoughts are:
1) Am I going to sink hundreds of hours into this? Or get bored after 10?
2) The "explore" level got really boring and repetitive really fast. Also, not sure how it can be considered for "Level 4" when my second mission in it took me to a place to fight Level 8 & Level 9 creatures. Took forever to kill them.
3) I wish the tank's parts could be destroyed in the Strike mission/ open world event. The part you hit blinks, so I kept thinking eventually, I would just break its leg or its gun.
4) Has anyone played the PvP yet? Would that hold my interest for the long term?
5) Do you upgrade abilities through use or XP? Like, do I just need to jump around with my double jump a bunch to get the ability that lets me jump even higher? Or does it unlike with XP? Or do I need to jump up to high things? More info would be nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
I was just relying on the arrow from the map.
Wait, what? How did you get a map? Where is this arrow?
Reply With Quote
  #16249  
Old 06-16-2014, 12:00 PM
whisper's Avatar
whisper whisper is offline
Member
CAS AAA
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago
Favorite beer: Hefewizen
Posts: 38,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
My thoughts are:
1) Am I going to sink hundreds of hours into this? Or get bored after 10?
I think this could people's attention - especially when the map is more alive with players.

Quote:
2) The "explore" level got really boring and repetitive really fast. Also, not sure how it can be considered for "Level 4" when my second mission in it took me to a place to fight Level 8 & Level 9 creatures. Took forever to kill them.
I think this makes more sense when you have additional people helping.

Quote:
4) Has anyone played the PvP yet? Would that hold my interest for the long term?
Didn't get to it.

Quote:
5) Do you upgrade abilities through use or XP?
I think there is a set upgrade path - so essentially XP.


Quote:
Wait, what? How did you get a map? Where is this arrow?
No map.

In the "radar" section, if you're doing a mission - there is an arrow that shows where to go.
Reply With Quote
  #16250  
Old 06-16-2014, 12:44 PM
The Wizard of Awe's Avatar
The Wizard of Awe The Wizard of Awe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
In the "radar" section, if you're doing a mission - there is an arrow that shows where to go.
Where is this "radar" section?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.52750 seconds with 12 queries