Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2017, 09:10 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by willel2338 View Post
As someone who recently commenced college, how do you know that you want to be an Actuary, specifically an FCAS?
I enjoyed studying for and taking Exam P and naturally found and made connections between what I learned for this exam and peculiar life situations in my head all the time. I also love working with numbers and looking at and making numerical evaluations. I really like statistics and was always fascinated with data. I also really like the idea of doing predictive modelling. I also do really well with exam-taking in general and the process of rising up by taking exams is very appealing. I also

And I know I want to be an FCAS because when I first learned about the actuarial profession and job-shadowed, I've always been most interested in working on that side. I've also recently heard that the P&C side is in a better place and it's more statistics-based. Working in auto- and property-insurance feels more interesting to me. Also, a lot of people even within the actuarial community finds a lot of the stuff that has to do with insurance boring, but I personally find it fascinating.

And I won't lie, but to top all that off (and of course this isn't the only reason), the pay gets really good after getting credentialed and even the starting salaries are pretty high.

I'm a Statistics major (and not actuarial science) though, in order to keep some backup prospects in case I do change my mind or if I must change my field for whatever reason.

Last edited by R3d Anonymous; 01-09-2017 at 09:29 PM..

Tags
babysitting, chessboxing, data science, real analysis