Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 6 US - Regulation and Financial Reporting
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-20-2018, 04:18 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 5
College: FSU Alumni

I know it sucks and for me I have to pay upfront then pass exam before getting reimbursed. Passing is a big deal financially for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
I know companies are paying for it but damn I feel like this shouldn't be worth $1200 plus they're charging.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:20 PM
CAS

Studying for the credential

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsumath View Post
I know it sucks and for me I have to pay upfront then pass exam before getting reimbursed. Passing is a big deal financially for me.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:37 PM

when do the examiner reports usually come out?
Old 06-20-2018, 06:44 PM
CAS

Studying for 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by darunia484 View Post
when do the examiner reports usually come out?
IIRC, one month from now, or sooner.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:25 PM
CAS

College: Seattle Pacific

Quote:
I have never heard of a company doing this, that sounds terrible! Do you work for a small consultant?

But to expand on my previous criticism of the TIA. The main issue is that there are so many accounting words, I have to google a lot and there are not many examples. Like reinsurance provision, I dont know what that actually is? Is it premium paid for reinsurance? There are a lot of words and I dont think it would be efficient to explain all of them so I think it is a tough situation.

However I think the TIA for Exam 6 does an excellent job explaining the actual problems, which is really what I rely on most.

Edit: Got to schedule F and learned what the reinsurance provision is

Last edited by Rev_; 06-20-2018 at 09:35 PM..
Old 06-21-2018, 11:33 AM
CAS

Studying for 6
College: South Alabama(BS)/Jacksonville State (MBA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_ View Post
But to expand on my previous criticism of the TIA. The main issue is that there are so many accounting words, I have to google a lot and there are not many examples. Like reinsurance provision, I dont know what that actually is?
https://www.irmi.com/glossary

Although, reinsurance provision is not in the glossary. So, glad you figured it out. I've noticed there are several topics that are touched upon briefly in the early part of the study that are indicated to be studied in more detail later on.

I've used and seen Annual Statements for years and never thought about the amount of detail in them. I just get the information off there I need and don't even think about it. One funny thing: Yellow/Blue Book. It wasn't until recently I found out about that. The ones we use are always pdfs. No cover.
COP
Old 06-21-2018, 12:59 PM
CAS

Studying for the credential

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_chuck_x View Post

Although, reinsurance provision is not in the glossary. So, glad you figured it out. I've noticed there are several topics that are touched upon briefly in the early part of the study that are indicated to be studied in more detail later on.

I've used and seen Annual Statements for years and never thought about the amount of detail in them. I just get the information off there I need and don't even think about it. One funny thing: Yellow/Blue Book. It wasn't until recently I found out about that. The ones we use are always pdfs. No cover.
I love that site for being concise.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:25 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 5

I work for the government so idea is using taxpayer funds to reimburse so they don't want it wasted if you have failed so I must eat the cost mainly of the exam fee alone if I fail. The study materials will be reimbursed along with exam fee when I pass.

Quote:
I have never heard of a company doing this, that sounds terrible! Do you work for a small consultant?

But to expand on my previous criticism of the TIA. The main issue is that there are so many accounting words, I have to google a lot and there are not many examples. Like reinsurance provision, I dont know what that actually is? Is it premium paid for reinsurance? There are a lot of words and I dont think it would be efficient to explain all of them so I think it is a tough situation.

However I think the TIA for Exam 6 does an excellent job explaining the actual problems, which is really what I rely on most.

Edit: Got to schedule F and learned what the reinsurance provision is

Old 06-21-2018, 01:55 PM
CAS

College: Seattle Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_chuck_x View Post

That is helpful thanks!

Quote:
I work for the government so idea is using taxpayer funds to reimburse so they don't want it wasted if you have failed so I must eat the cost mainly of the exam fee alone if I fail. The study materials will be reimbursed along with exam fee when I pass.
So do they have low expectations for you passing them?
Old 06-21-2018, 02:30 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 5

No they are not required for the job but it is preferable to pass them to advance.

Quote:
That is helpful thanks!

So do they have low expectations for you passing them?