Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 6 US - Regulation and Financial Reporting
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #91  
Old 06-20-2018, 04:18 PM
fsumath's Avatar
fsumath fsumath is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Studying for Exam 5
College: FSU Alumni
Posts: 657
Default

I know it sucks and for me I have to pay upfront then pass exam before getting reimbursed. Passing is a big deal financially for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
I know companies are paying for it but damn I feel like this shouldn't be worth $1200 plus they're charging.
__________________
1, 2, 3F, MAS-I, MAS-II, 5, 6, VEE Finance, VEE Economics, Online Course 1, Online Course 2, COP

Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 06-20-2018, 04:20 PM
ronaldy27's Avatar
ronaldy27 ronaldy27 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 'Murica
Studying for the credential
Posts: 3,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsumath View Post
I know it sucks and for me I have to pay upfront then pass exam before getting reimbursed. Passing is a big deal financially for me.
__________________
Spoiler - for size:



Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 06-20-2018, 06:37 PM
darunia484 darunia484 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 85
Default

when do the examiner reports usually come out?
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 06-20-2018, 06:44 PM
CFF CFF is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Studying for 789
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darunia484 View Post
when do the examiner reports usually come out?
IIRC, one month from now, or sooner.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 06-20-2018, 09:25 PM
Rev_'s Avatar
Rev_ Rev_ is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
College: Seattle Pacific
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsumath View Post
I know it sucks and for me I have to pay upfront then pass exam before getting reimbursed. Passing is a big deal financially for me.
I have never heard of a company doing this, that sounds terrible! Do you work for a small consultant?

But to expand on my previous criticism of the TIA. The main issue is that there are so many accounting words, I have to google a lot and there are not many examples. Like reinsurance provision, I dont know what that actually is? Is it premium paid for reinsurance? There are a lot of words and I dont think it would be efficient to explain all of them so I think it is a tough situation.

However I think the TIA for Exam 6 does an excellent job explaining the actual problems, which is really what I rely on most.

Edit: Got to schedule F and learned what the reinsurance provision is

Last edited by Rev_; 06-20-2018 at 09:35 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 06-21-2018, 11:33 AM
x_chuck_x x_chuck_x is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southeastern USA
Studying for 6
College: South Alabama(BS)/Jacksonville State (MBA)
Posts: 1,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_ View Post
But to expand on my previous criticism of the TIA. The main issue is that there are so many accounting words, I have to google a lot and there are not many examples. Like reinsurance provision, I dont know what that actually is?
https://www.irmi.com/glossary

Although, reinsurance provision is not in the glossary. So, glad you figured it out. I've noticed there are several topics that are touched upon briefly in the early part of the study that are indicated to be studied in more detail later on.

I've used and seen Annual Statements for years and never thought about the amount of detail in them. I just get the information off there I need and don't even think about it. One funny thing: Yellow/Blue Book. It wasn't until recently I found out about that. The ones we use are always pdfs. No cover.
__________________
1 FM 3F 3L 4 5 6 VEE (ec) VEE (fin) VEE (st)
Online Course 1
Online Course 2
COP
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 06-21-2018, 12:59 PM
ronaldy27's Avatar
ronaldy27 ronaldy27 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 'Murica
Studying for the credential
Posts: 3,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_chuck_x View Post
https://www.irmi.com/glossary

Although, reinsurance provision is not in the glossary. So, glad you figured it out. I've noticed there are several topics that are touched upon briefly in the early part of the study that are indicated to be studied in more detail later on.

I've used and seen Annual Statements for years and never thought about the amount of detail in them. I just get the information off there I need and don't even think about it. One funny thing: Yellow/Blue Book. It wasn't until recently I found out about that. The ones we use are always pdfs. No cover.
I love that site for being concise.
__________________
Spoiler - for size:



Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 06-21-2018, 01:25 PM
fsumath's Avatar
fsumath fsumath is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Studying for Exam 5
College: FSU Alumni
Posts: 657
Default

I work for the government so idea is using taxpayer funds to reimburse so they don't want it wasted if you have failed so I must eat the cost mainly of the exam fee alone if I fail. The study materials will be reimbursed along with exam fee when I pass.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_ View Post
I have never heard of a company doing this, that sounds terrible! Do you work for a small consultant?

But to expand on my previous criticism of the TIA. The main issue is that there are so many accounting words, I have to google a lot and there are not many examples. Like reinsurance provision, I dont know what that actually is? Is it premium paid for reinsurance? There are a lot of words and I dont think it would be efficient to explain all of them so I think it is a tough situation.

However I think the TIA for Exam 6 does an excellent job explaining the actual problems, which is really what I rely on most.

Edit: Got to schedule F and learned what the reinsurance provision is
__________________
1, 2, 3F, MAS-I, MAS-II, 5, 6, VEE Finance, VEE Economics, Online Course 1, Online Course 2, COP

Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 06-21-2018, 01:55 PM
Rev_'s Avatar
Rev_ Rev_ is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
College: Seattle Pacific
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_chuck_x View Post
https://www.irmi.com/glossary

Although, reinsurance provision is not in the glossary. So, glad you figured it out. I've noticed there are several topics that are touched upon briefly in the early part of the study that are indicated to be studied in more detail later on.

I've used and seen Annual Statements for years and never thought about the amount of detail in them. I just get the information off there I need and don't even think about it. One funny thing: Yellow/Blue Book. It wasn't until recently I found out about that. The ones we use are always pdfs. No cover.
That is helpful thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsumath View Post
I work for the government so idea is using taxpayer funds to reimburse so they don't want it wasted if you have failed so I must eat the cost mainly of the exam fee alone if I fail. The study materials will be reimbursed along with exam fee when I pass.
So do they have low expectations for you passing them?
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 06-21-2018, 02:30 PM
fsumath's Avatar
fsumath fsumath is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Studying for Exam 5
College: FSU Alumni
Posts: 657
Default

No they are not required for the job but it is preferable to pass them to advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_ View Post
That is helpful thanks!



So do they have low expectations for you passing them?
__________________
1, 2, 3F, MAS-I, MAS-II, 5, 6, VEE Finance, VEE Economics, Online Course 1, Online Course 2, COP

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.29354 seconds with 12 queries