Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > That card g@me that starts with P
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
oh is that how poker works

never know from the games I play
The hand history said the guy put 1100 in preflop with AQs. That's not the kind of guy likely to slow play KK or TT.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:37 AM
SOA

College: UC Santa Barbara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repair Man View Post
3bet shove the flop. He can't have KK or TT or you would have found out preflop. If he has 66 or KT that's poker. If he calls you with a flush draw and hits, that's poker.

As played, I think you have to bluff catch here. Maybe he has the As and knows you can't have the nuts. Also, there are hands he could be betting for value that you beat, like AK.
Main reason I posted the hand was to get thoughts on the flop play. I was tempted to send it in, but didn't want to barrel him off a king. Don't see a lot of 3-bets with TT in this game either, so thought that was live.

Once he auto-checked 4th I felt much better. I called off after 30 seconds or so and beat K7o. Live poker!
Old 09-09-2019, 04:33 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Adams Summer Seasonal

Was playing in a home game tournament ($20 buy-in). Made it to heads up. About even stacks after a double up. He is a little agitated as he did not want to give me chips to play with, but now I'm coming back with a fury. Effective stacks are about 14 BB each. My opponent is playing a little tight, but occasionally playing back on me. He's been folding to several of my raises when I raise from the SB and BB. I have K7 in the BB, he calls his SB. Would you check or raise? If raise, what size?

Last edited by ItsATrap; 09-09-2019 at 04:55 PM..
Old 09-09-2019, 05:29 PM

Favorite beer: Ummmmm....Beer

Jam.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:54 PM
SOA AAA

Should have chopped, then hit the cash game full of losers.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 09-09-2019, 11:55 PM
SOA AAA

He's gonna snap call with AK

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 09-10-2019, 11:20 AM
SOA AAA

I ended up raising to 3BB. He ended up being a little frustrated (genuinely, not acting) realizing that he was essentially in a spot that he needed to determine if he just wanted to shove. He had just doubled me up a few hands prior. He thought about it for a bit and ended up shoving. At this point, there's ~16 BB in the pot, and I have to call ~10, which is almost entirely my stack. Based on my read, I figured his range to be a small pair, 4s-6s, QJ, or QT, which I'm either ahead or coin flipping. I also put him on maybe KT (which dominates me) or a weak to mid-ranged A, which likely my cards are live against. There's also a chance he's doing it with air as he had come over the top of me a couple of times when he thought I was trying to push him around. Based on the range I put him on, I ended up calling. He ended up having AT, which was a little better than I expected, but my cards were live. Flopped a 7, and that was all she wrote.

Certainly not my best played hand of the night, but was discussing with a friend later. He hated the preflop raise from the BB, arguing that when you do that, you should do it only with strong hands or garbage, so that your decision is easy if he comes over the top. My thought was heads up, K7 is strong than a random hand, so I don't know why I wouldn't at least raise. I'm more than happy to 3x the BB, have him fold, and me grab the pot. It had been working, and mathematically it only has to work half the time for me to break even.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohete009 View Post
Jam.

i think you have to just put him to the test rather than making a crying call with what is probably the worse hand when he goes over the top.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:32 PM
SOA AAA

At that point, your cards are not all that important. Depending on how often he's limping on the button/SB, and then getting a glance at his cards when he's doing it, that should tell you a lot more.
S.O.P. is to raise the button regardless of cards. Position is important.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:43 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triweasel View Post

i think you have to just put him to the test rather than making a crying call with what is probably the worse hand when he goes over the top.
So at ~14BB each, your philosophy is jam or nothing? I feel like there is SOME room to play a game that isn't just all in or fold.