Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Around the World > United Kingdom / Europe > Actuarial Exams: United Kingdom / Europe
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 11-02-2011, 08:34 AM

Studying for CA1

Bumping a dead topic, it's funny the UK students view it differently

CT1 CT2 CT3 CT4 CT5 CT6 CT7 CT8 CT9 CA1 CA2 CA3 ST5 ST6 SA6
Old 11-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_Shekhar View Post
If you're talking about the difficulty of =exams=, then as one of the posters over there notes:

Quote:
Looks like they weren't sneering at the UK exams, just the university exemptions. Maybe somebody who's attended these courses can better detail how objectively their papers were evaluated, in comparison with the IOA exams.
I have looked at UK exams, and they look fine to me re: difficulty.

The thing that I question is the comparability of college courses to passing actuarial exams. Even getting a good grade in a college course (B or better) tends to be a lot easier than passing actuarial exams, whether UK or SOA/CAS.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 11-02-2011, 07:37 PM

Studying for CA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
If you're talking about the difficulty of =exams=, then as one of the posters over there notes:
That was me over there!

CT1 CT2 CT3 CT4 CT5 CT6 CT7 CT8 CT9 CA1 CA2 CA3 ST5 ST6 SA6
Old 11-02-2011, 08:20 PM
Mary Pat Campbell

Studying for Anglo-Saxon
Favorite beer: Bass Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_Shekhar View Post
That was me over there!

Now offering online seminars, live seminars, and everything else under the sun and over the moon for actuarial exams.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:04 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: University of Manitoba, Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKstudent View Post
On point 1 it is worth noting that actuarial exams at universities are similar to the exams that the institute sets and are also moderated by them to ensure that standards are maintained.

On point 2 the CT exams can be converted to credits in the US system due to mutual recognition agreements.
I do SOA Exams and I also work at a UK university, where students may be granted 8 exemptions upon graduation, as an assistant professor.

Are the university exams difficult? Is it hard to obtain exemption? NO WHERE YOU CAN COMPARE TO SOA EXAMS IN TERMS OF DIFFICULTY. There are two to three courses required for exemption from one exam. And there are mid-terms, assignments, finals, etc. Sometimes instructors give tips, sometimes the exam is just a duplicate of past exams.

If you hold a BSc and a MSc then you are very close to becoming an FIA. I really hope that SOA would not grant waivers to IFoA students who are granted exemptions from exams.

All in all, just want to let everybody know that UK universities are mostly for profit, especially those who offer an actuarial science program.

VEE's

FAP 1 2 3 4 IA 6 7 FA
Old 12-04-2017, 04:44 PM

Favorite beer: the closest one

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg too ez View Post
I do SOA Exams and I also work at a UK university, where students may be granted 8 exemptions upon graduation, as an assistant professor.

Are the university exams difficult? Is it hard to obtain exemption? NO WHERE YOU CAN COMPARE TO SOA EXAMS IN TERMS OF DIFFICULTY. There are two to three courses required for exemption from one exam. And there are mid-terms, assignments, finals, etc. Sometimes instructors give tips, sometimes the exam is just a duplicate of past exams.

If you hold a BSc and a MSc then you are very close to becoming an FIA. I really hope that SOA would not grant waivers to IFoA students who are granted exemptions from exams.

All in all, just want to let everybody know that UK universities are mostly for profit, especially those who offer an actuarial science program.
But the IFoA has nothing to gain from allowing substandard universities grant exemptions. I know that the IFoA checks that the material covered in the exams is of sufficient standard to justify an exemption, I take it from this that there are no similar checks on the exams being set, or on the quality of the tutoring?
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:02 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWaiting View Post
But the IFoA has nothing to gain from allowing substandard universities grant exemptions. I know that the IFoA checks that the material covered in the exams is of sufficient standard to justify an exemption, I take it from this that there are no similar checks on the exams being set, or on the quality of the tutoring?
Dues?

Personally, I am skeptical of anything that doesn't have blind grading, which you simply don't have at a university. The student's name is right there on the paper, test, whatever.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:37 PM

Favorite beer: the closest one

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
Dues?
I don't think there's much difference in the IFoA income when you compare a qualified actuary to a student sitting a couple of exams a year

Quote:
Personally, I am skeptical of anything that doesn't have blind grading, which you simply don't have at a university. The student's name is right there on the paper, test, whatever.
I don't know the specifics of this university, but my exams were marked anonymously. Well, unless the lecturer made the effort to memorise our student numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Dues?

It's cheaper to pay for exemptions that to sit the exams. Although you would transfer quicker from student dues to associate or fellow dues.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:55 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWaiting View Post
I don't think there's much difference in the IFoA income when you compare a qualified actuary to a student sitting a couple of exams a year

I don't know the specifics of this university, but my exams were marked anonymously. Well, unless the lecturer made the effort to memorise our student numbers.
Has anyone graded SOA written exams? Do the candidate numbers appear on the exams?

Just wondering. Like if a grader was sleeping with a student (university or SOA) would they be able to figure out who it is?

I recall students being told that the instruction to not make any stray marks on their papers was to keep it anonymous... so a student wouldn't tip off a grader by marking every paper with a heart in the lower left hand corner, or something like that.

But if the candidate numbers are on the papers that the graders get, then there wouldn't be any need to draw little hearts of whatever because the student could just tell the grader his/her candidate number.

Or does the SOA strip off the candidate number before the papers go to the graders (in which case I assume they assign a different candidate number and have some cross-reference to change them back after the exam is fully graded?)