Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 04-07-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erosewater View Post
ATV won't be dead, pretty sure they'll release an updated one this summer. Might have games and live TV
That would be really interesting. If I can just get family and Nick for ~$10, I would dump the cable TV instantly. Canadian netflix collection sucks compare to what you have.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:48 AM
SOA

Studying for LP
Favorite beer: Cider

Quote:
Interface is very fast, intuitive, no stuttering at all, flies through everything. Voice search works great. Remote is responsive and has all the buttons you need (I'm look at you AppleTV). I didn't buy the controller so I haven't tried gaming.

Quote:
The voice search does only return Amazon content, but I know when I was browsing Amazon stuff there was a "other ways to watch this" button that would show the other places it was available. I would assume that shows up when you voice search too, but need to confirm once the old lady is not using the TV
That was one of my complains. I'll have to look for this "other ways to watch".
Old 04-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
I have a lot more playing around to do, but it played my videos from Plex just fine, smooth, with audio. I saw some early reports of it not passing through 5.1 DTS audio, but not of no audio. But as far as I know there is not a FireTV specific Plex app, it's just the standard Android app and the Plex guys were not involved beforehand. I would expect now that they have one in hand there will be FireTV specific updates coming.
Quote:
My initial playing around last night was a big dud. Nothing was working, Netflix and Plex didn't play anything. Rebooted it and then everything worked fine. I could not try Amazon streaming because I share Prime with my GF, never even realized I didn't get to stream video that way. Will logout and login with her account this weekend to try it.
These posts seem really inconsistent.

I thought I read that Plex had been involved in pre launch development. Let us know if it gets better.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:27 PM

Studying for your mom
Favorite beer: Schlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondlife View Post
That would be really interesting. If I can just get family and Nick for ~$10, I would dump the cable TV instantly. Canadian netflix collection sucks compare to what you have.
I think it would be able to work as a box for your cable company, not provide a la carte programming. And be careful what you wish for, a la carte may not save you any money
Old 04-07-2014, 02:30 PM

Studying for your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara Oswald View Post
These posts seem really inconsistent.
First try nothing worked. Then I rebooted and every thing worked fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara Oswald View Post
I thought I read that Plex had been involved in pre launch development. Let us know if it gets better.
I would need to confirm, but I'm pretty sure they were not. I know that I read that they didn't have one themselves until it was available for sale. It's just running the normal Android app, and you can sideload pretty much any Android app AFAIK, though depending on the app and how you control it some of them won't really work, like if they need touch input, etc.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:57 PM
SOA

Studying for LP
Favorite beer: Cider

Quote:
And be careful what you wish for, a la carte may not save you any money
Didn't have much time to read into this, but I saw the majority of cable costs is for sports. As a non-sports fan, this makes me angry.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:15 PM

Studying for your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgadd View Post
Didn't have much time to read into this, but I saw the majority of cable costs is for sports. As a non-sports fan, this makes me angry.
Marginal Revolution has some good posts about how unbundling TV channels may not save you any money
Old 05-26-2014, 04:15 PM

Trying to decide on what device to get for a vacation cottage. At home we have the apple tv and it works adequately for our needs (faster access to netflix/hbo go then the crappy tv/dvd software) but we want something for the cottage which has DSL connection but no cable access. Apple TV seems dated and lacking content relative to the Amazon Fire and Roku 3. Read a few reviews and it seems like Fire gets the win for speed/ease of use but Roku dominates in content (seems consistent with Eroses comments). Also the headphone option for the remote actually seems really nice as well.

Seems like the Roku wins out for current content but Amazon seems to have more room for future content upgrades. Does either Roku or Fire have much access to college football? Think its silly to discount the superior amazon hardward and future content additions?

Also we have a sling box on our home tv, does it work well with Roku or Amazon Fire? We've tried using it when traveling on ipads but have been rather disappointed by the quality (could have been wifi issues).

Last edited by lulzEMH; 05-26-2014 at 07:46 PM..
Old 05-27-2014, 04:25 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Four Peaks Kiltlifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulzEMH View Post
Does either Roku or Fire have much access to college football?
Roku has Watch ESPN on it, but of course you have to have a full-blown account with ESPN to watch it (or at you had to a few months ago).

I can get games shown on ESPN3 via my tablet, and if I want to watch it on TV I use chromecast to cast it from the tablet to the TV.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:14 PM
SOA

Got really fed up with Boxee Box recently and decided to dump that in the bedroom and XBMC in the living room and go Plex on both for simplicity. Fire TV is on sale for $84 this week if you didn't already notice. I'm pretty excited.

I tried Plex once before and thought it was unnecessarily complicated but it's going really smoothly now as I go through the setup.