Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-05-2016, 03:32 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Angelo State University

No
Old 09-05-2016, 09:17 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
I got a BS Math a couple years ago, and have 2 exams under my belt. After a few months of applying for jobs to no success, I entered graduate school for MS Stats degree because I didn't see a better option (thought I might become a statistician instead of an actuary).

I would like to give the actuary thing another go now, but I don't really know what my chances are.

I know in most industries nowadays, it's important to have an internship even just to get an EL position. Most internships require you to be in college, and an undergraduate (not a graduate like me).

Does anyone know what my chances are of finding employment without an internship, and if/how I can overcome this? I don't want to be forever exiled from the industry just because I don't have an internship.

Thanks for your advice.
I was in the similar situation 3 years ago. I had my BS in 2010 and MS in 2011. It was probably the worst time to graduate, especially, I was international student at the time... I didn't have a internship either, but I did eventually land a job at one of the largest health insurance company 3 yrs ago, and have been excelled ever since.

During my 3 years of break, I worked in all kinds of hourly jobs, but one thing I did not give up was learning, especially programming skills, and try to take courses in a university. I was actually planning to go to PhD right before I get this job. So I don't know how often this happens, but the lesson here for me is to never give up.

Good luck!
PRF Module
GH Core
Old 09-06-2016, 12:56 AM
CAS

Studying for 5
Favorite beer: Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
Thanks a lot for the broader advice on my situation. First of all, as you said I obviously will not likely mimic your friend's situation, but even as an average MS statistician, do you really think that would pay as well, or be better overall as an actuary?
I think long term, MS stats plus actual, demonstrable ability with programming and ML/stat methods (like everything in ESL), will be better than an FCAS who struggles to perform a linear regression in excel.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:45 PM
SOA

College: University of Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactuarialStatement View Post
I think long term, MS stats plus actual, demonstrable ability with programming and ML/stat methods (like everything in ESL), will be better than an FCAS who struggles to perform a linear regression in excel.
All those acronyms are killing me. >_<
Old 09-06-2016, 10:46 PM
SOA AAA

Yes
Old 09-06-2016, 11:07 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactuarialStatement View Post
I struggle to perform a linear regression in excel. I just can't bring myself to do it when I could just open R.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:18 PM

Favorite beer: Talschänke Wöllnitzer Weißbier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
I struggle to perform a linear regression in excel. I just can't bring myself to do it when I could just open R.
Well in getting an MS in Stats they will make you do one in two variables by hand, proving that it is BLUE. You won't complain about doing it in Excel after that.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:49 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
Well in getting an MS in Stats they will make you do one in two variables by hand, proving that it is BLUE. You won't complain about doing it in Excel after that.
Do they at least let you sort the values first?
Old 09-06-2016, 11:58 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

rn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:25 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

This general idea that someone with a statistics background will have a decent understanding of machine learning from the start is misguided. Unless you graduated from a handful of specific programs, your knowledge will be very limited at best.

It would be extremely difficult for the average MS stats person to break 6 figures without some outside learning.

But to answer the original question, you just need to keep trying. There is no formula to success and more than likely it has less to do with your internship being nonexistent and more to do with something else you haven't revealed to us, either consciously or subconsciously. Are you terrible at interviews? Can you talk to people correctly? Are you saying the wrong things but don't realize it? Does your resume look like trash? Are you foreign? There are literally a hundred things that could be preventing you from getting a job.

-Riley

Last edited by whoanonstop; 09-07-2016 at 07:28 AM..

Tags
#predanal, actuary, big data, data science, employment, entry, intern, internship, machine learning, predictive analytics, programming languages