Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Depends on the employer. Previous employers, it would have been difficult for the employer to keep up. At my current place the compensation structure would be able to match the demands of a high performer.
While there is certainly correlation between high performers and high salary demanders, they are absolutely not identical.
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Somebody - might be John Oliver, but can't recall for sure - said of Trump's tweets "He has to keep saying how smart he is because certainly nobody else is going to say that". Corporate talking points are a lot like that. "We value people" and "We care about work-life balance" etc - sometimes those are true, sometimes not, but everybody knows that they have to say that, so everybody says that regardless of what they do.
It's a new version of the emperor has no clothes.

Real wages have declined in the past couple decades and workers are begging for more pay, but the executives just troll everyone and proclaim, "it's not our low wages; it's our corporate culture. Why give everyone a 5% annual raise when we can just put in a $1000 billiards table? It's genius!".
Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
Corporate culture is corporate speak.
For the most part, all corporate cultures are the same - Fun and hardworking people. Why any company would want any other kind of culture is beyond me.

"Corporate culture" just a term executives made up to justify paying their employees garbage wages. They're trying to find any reason to avoid paying higher wages.
How many companies have you worked for?
Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
Offers do not "dry up" if you bring expertise to the table.

This has been discussed on here many times, and the consensus is usually that it is more likely than not that moving around every two years or so will not hurt you, assuming you have a credible story to back this up with when interviewing.

And the difference in salary between jumping every few years and staying put can be pretty significant over time.
I would almost never hire a fellow who jumped ship every ~2 years. Just too many possible warning signs and what expertise could someone who never cemented themselves within an organization possibly bring that I couldn't find from a more stable, dependable source?
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

If you jump every couple of years, it's much harder to be in a leadership role, in my opinion. You simply don't know enough about the company to be high up. Most people who are high up spend 7+ years at one firm at some point - even if their leadership role is at a different firm.

Stuck in middle management.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Flynn View Post
How many companies have you worked for?
check out the user name.
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivamS View Post
If you jump every couple of years, it's much harder to be in a leadership role, in my opinion. You simply don't know enough about the company to be high up. Most people who are high up spend 7+ years at one firm at some point - even if their leadership role is at a different firm.

Stuck in middle management.
That only happens when the company in question is very conservative, and more often than not, they tend to be far behind the curve in terms of flexible working, agile working, IT systems etc.. I have seen this before as well where senior management had been at the company for like 20+ years (they never learned anything outside of the company and where not able to apply improvements based on that knowledge) Rest assured that their wages also matched their lack of expertise.

If you want to work for a company like that, be my guest.

At a senior Actuary level, what they care about is expertise and management skills, as you will already have a decent understanding of the products most companies sell.

Best thing to do is develop expertise in very niche actuarial work, as that increases your value significantly, and you can leverage that when jumping from company to company.

Tags
riley being riley