Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-29-2019, 02:02 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Some formatting clean up would be good on the resume. Namely, try to have all of your dates "right aligned" to the right margin.

And I would group the Activities and Awards together into a single section. For an actuarial resume, there is nothing in either one that would need to be distinguished separately . . . this section is to offer some "ice breaker" material. To that end, I would drop the artist residency and they work/study grant items.

You can rework your items to be something along the lines of "Five drawings exhibited at . . ." and "Forty works, including Hour of the Wolf, exhibited at . . .". I would also suggest shortening the last item to "Published short story: . . .".

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 05-29-2019, 08:31 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Studying for IFM
Favorite beer: 805

Great, thank you! I made some adjustments. Not really sure what more I can do regarding formatting. I tweaked some margins and rephrased a few things, per suggestion.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:08 AM
CAS

This is looking a lot better. Initially I thought it best to leave on the programming jobs, but now that I look at the new one, I think leaving them off works. Your resume is short, looks a bit more like a "typical" candidate, you're less likely to face age discrimination, but you still list your computer skills and note your software background in the objective.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:10 AM
CAS

Also it's worth noting that resume services are notoriously bad. It's partially because many of the people guiding you have never been on the receiving end of a resume and have illusions about what hiring managers want to see.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:31 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
This is looking a lot better. Initially I thought it best to leave on the programming jobs, but now that I look at the new one, I think leaving them off works. Your resume is short, looks a bit more like a "typical" candidate, you're less likely to face age discrimination, but you still list your computer skills and note your software background in the objective.
OP will have the opportunity to talk about the programming experience during an interview. I doubt that they'd add value to the resume given how long ago they were.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 05-30-2019, 03:41 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Studying for IFM
Favorite beer: 805

Great, thanks all. Now I have to see if I can get this thing past the HR firewall. All the online job sites force you to feed the resume into the companies auto-field-filling template which usually does a terrible job. I wonder if the original resume even gets seen.

Does anyone have thoughts on the cover letter? I tried to throw a little personality into it, but unsure if it translates.