Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:58 PM
SOA

Default What Should I Do?

I'm a recent college grad who started working full time about two months ago. I passed P and FM and got all the VEEs out of the way during school. I signed up for the May sitting of MLC because I was taking a class that covered a lot of the material. The exam was right after graduation weekend so between that and trying to live up my last semester of college I did a pretty awful job studying.

I officially found out I failed MLC when scores came out a week or two ago and now that I'm starting to studying again I'm nervous that I won't be able to do a thorough enough job studying for the October sitting to pass. My best chance of passing would probably be to wait until Spring 2017 but waiting might make it harder to get my ASA by the July 2018 curriculum changes.

Should I spend every free minute between now and October studying? Or wait until Spring? If I wait until spring should I try to sit for C or MFE this fall/winter? Should I wait to try MFE until next summer when some of the concepts are removed? Just give up on an ASA by July 2018 and do it at my own pace?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks in advance for any advice
Old 08-02-2016, 08:04 PM
CAS

I'd sit MLC
Old 08-02-2016, 08:08 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

One thing you should do is check with your new boss. Taking nothing until May 2017 would be frowned upon in many study programs. If you need to take something MLC is probably best, but that depends on how much you know now.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:28 PM
SOA

There's not much of an organized study program. Nobody's mentioned anything about how often I should be sitting for exams but I also haven't heard anything about study hour or if they cover any costs. I know a coworker of mine hasn't passed an exam in a few years.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:57 AM
CAS AAA

It is August 4, the Exam is October 28 which is nearly 3 months away. If you had this material in college, that should be enough of time to prepare for the exam without spending "every free minute" studying for the exam.

The transition from college to the working world especially for an actuarial student can be tough. You probably had a bunch of free time in college, and now you are at work 40-50 hours a week (including lunch) plus another 5 to 10 hours week getting to work, so available time definitely takes a hit.

If I were you, I would clarify your study program at work (you should at least 5 hours a week), and I would try to find 15 hours a week outside of work to study (that is 3 hours a day, 5 days a week). That will give you about 200 hours of study time before the exam. If you had this material in college, that feels like enough time to prepare.

To answer your direct question, if you don't have a deep understanding of the material on exam C, it will be require more study time than MLC. MFE is a little bit less material, but I still feel like your best shot is at MLC.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:37 AM
SOA

Studying for ILA-LRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBP View Post
I'm a recent college grad who started working full time about two months ago. I passed P and FM and got all the VEEs out of the way during school. I signed up for the May sitting of MLC because I was taking a class that covered a lot of the material. The exam was right after graduation weekend so between that and trying to live up my last semester of college I did a pretty awful job studying.

I officially found out I failed MLC when scores came out a week or two ago and now that I'm starting to studying again I'm nervous that I won't be able to do a thorough enough job studying for the October sitting to pass. My best chance of passing would probably be to wait until Spring 2017 but waiting might make it harder to get my ASA by the July 2018 curriculum changes.

Should I spend every free minute between now and October studying? Or wait until Spring? If I wait until spring should I try to sit for C or MFE this fall/winter? Should I wait to try MFE until next summer when some of the concepts are removed? Just give up on an ASA by July 2018 and do it at my own pace?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks in advance for any advice
Definitely just go at your own pace. If you hit the deadline, you hit the deadline. If you don't, then take some more exams and get more raises.

As for which exam you should take, go for MLC in October. You've already studied some of it, and with a little less than three months to go, you should be able to get solid study/practice time in.