Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 06-29-2016, 10:13 AM
SOA

Studying for APC

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarialyle View Post
what is the statute of limitations on VEE credit assuming you have earned it a year or two ago in uni? Should I apply ASAP or wait until/if I ever make it to ASA modules?
There is no SOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the SOA, from the link posted earlier in this thread
VEE Transitions

When discussing VEE there are two important dates. One is when the course is completed. This is referred to as the “earned” date. The second is when the candidate applies for and receives the credit. This is referred to as the “claimed” date. There is currently no time limit between when the credit is earned and when it is claimed.

Economics – All currently approved courses will continue to be approved. New courses and those being renewed will be held against the slightly revised learning objectives.
Accounting and Finance – With the addition of accounting, this will be a two-part approval. Candidates may earn the accounting and finance credits through separate courses, but may only claim the credit once both are earned. Candidates who have earned corporate finance credit prior to July 1, 2019 [sic] may claim this credit at any time and convert it to accounting and finance credit. All other candidates must earn both components. Schools with corporate finance courses may use them until the approval period expires. As with economics, all new applications will be held to the new learning objectives.
Applied Statistics – Credits earned prior to July 1, 2018 may be claimed at any time and converted to VEE Mathematical Statistics and SRM Exam credit.
Mathematical Statistics – The process for schools to submit courses will begin soon. Because this is a fairly stable subject, many applications will include retroactive approval (courses taken in prior years can be claimed). Further information on which candidates will need to complete this requirement is in a later section.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:34 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 6
College: University of Notre Dame - alumni
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkydoe View Post
Depends on Actuaial Student Programs at companies. My company makes you take an attempt per 6 months and is STRONGLY against taking three sittings a year. I have MFE C and MLC left. Assuming I pass MFE I can't get my ASA before 1/1/2018
You have until 7/1/2018 to get the three exams in, which is fall 16, spring 17, fall 17, and spring 18, depending on the exam timings. Work the rest in between exam sittings. Also remember that MFE for July 2017 looks to be getting the fire hose treatment.

On a general note to everyone (not just quoted poster), the VEEs can easily be done over a 3-month window if needed, or you can spread them out over a year fitting them in. It's about 1-2 weeks for econ CLEPs, 1-2 weeks for CPCU 540, and between 4-12 weeks for applied stats, depending on how you obtain. These are time windows from someone with 2 kids and no background coursework for any of the VEEs, so adjust accordingly to your scenario.

VEEs, OC1, OC2, COP
Old 06-29-2016, 10:50 AM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: Vanderbilt Alum
Favorite beer: Lucky Bucket IPA

So how often is the Associateship Professional Course offered? I'd hate to have everything else done and have the timing of this cause me to miss the 7/1/2018 deadline?

FAP: 1 2 3 4 5 IA 6 7 8 FA
APC
Old 06-29-2016, 11:08 AM
SOA

Studying for APC

Once a month. APC shouldn't be what makes you miss the deadline, because you're not required to complete everything else before you can register for it. You can sign up for it as soon as you finish the prelims and pass the FAP modules 1-5 and IA, or when you have 4 prelims and all of FAP done.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:38 PM
SOA

College: college is for squares

i'm over the initial but I still don't like this, you guys.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:47 PM
SOA

Studying for APC

I don't think any of us like it. But the reality is that, for most of us, it's only one more thing to have to do (and that's only if we don't finish before the deadline). And that thing looks like it's going to be more like a FAP module + assessment, than an exam.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:48 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarialyle View Post
i'm over the initial but I still don't like this, you guys.
Things were a lot harder in the 1980s and 1990s. You should be grateful the road is as easy as it is. The SOA needed to tighten things up a bit, way too much influx of ASAs over the last decade.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:13 PM
CAS

How long before the CAS responds to the changes?

My money is on 6 weeks or so.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:59 PM
CAS

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alum
Favorite beer: Red Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherCareerChanger View Post
How long before the CAS responds to the changes?

My money is on 6 weeks or so.
My thoughts exactly. This terrifies me. I love that they've announced this the day after I failed C. (-.-') Had I known this 2 weeks ago the motivation would have skyrocketed.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:14 PM
SOA

Studying for ILA-LRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogwai View Post
Things were a lot harder in the 1980s and 1990s. You should be grateful the road is as easy as it is. The SOA needed to tighten things up a bit, way too much influx of ASAs over the last decade.
What was so much harder about the exam process during these times? I'm not challenging whether or not that's true, it's more out of curiosity. Other than the fact that four of the prelims are CBT exams and candidates don't have to wait for results, has the tested material changed all that much?