Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #51  
Old 06-29-2016, 05:10 PM
slinkydoe's Avatar
slinkydoe slinkydoe is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Studying for MLC and/or Modules
Favorite beer: 3 Stars Brewing Peppercorn Saison
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo Von Matterhorn View Post
What was so much harder about the exam process during these times? I'm not challenging whether or not that's true, it's more out of curiosity. Other than the fact that four of the prelims are CBT exams and candidates don't have to wait for results, has the tested material changed all that much?


from what older actuaries have told me, it is the quality and availability of exam study material.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 06-29-2016, 05:25 PM
actuarialyle's Avatar
actuarialyle actuarialyle is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2014
College: college is for squares
Posts: 1,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkydoe View Post
from what older actuaries have told me, it is the quality and availability of exam study material.
IMO all candidates should be sure to order with super slow ground shipping to simulate the difficulties of "back then"

also don't use calculator functions that weren't available to people in the old days because that also makes it easier

also no mechanical pencils only old fashioned ones to increase difficulty

EDIT: I forgot, when you receive your manual rip out random sections so it's less effective, making the exam more difficult. Then you'll really know how hard it was to be an old timer.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 06-29-2016, 05:31 PM
Mogwai Mogwai is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarialyle View Post
IMO all candidates should be sure to order with super slow ground shipping to simulate the difficulties of "back then"

also don't use calculator functions that weren't available to people in the old days because that also makes it easier

also no mechanical pencils only old fashioned ones to increase difficulty

EDIT: I forgot, when you receive your manual rip out random sections so it's less effective, making the exam more difficult. Then you'll really know how hard it was to be an old timer.
Pass rates were a lot lower back then.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 06-29-2016, 06:07 PM
kimjongfun kimjongfun is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeAustin25 View Post
Also remember that MFE for July 2017 looks to be getting the fire hose treatment.
What are they changing about MFE and will it be getting easier or harder?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 06-29-2016, 09:13 PM
slinkydoe's Avatar
slinkydoe slinkydoe is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Studying for MLC and/or Modules
Favorite beer: 3 Stars Brewing Peppercorn Saison
Posts: 318
Default

No Brownian motion and some other less drastic stuff. I think the intention is to make the material easier. As for the effect on the pass rate / difficulty, that doesn't mean it's going to be an easier exam.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 06-30-2016, 09:32 AM
Moctuary Moctuary is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogwai View Post
Pass rates were a lot lower back then.
Maybe the candidates weren't as prepared? Unless you know that the pass marks were higher in the past, this is a weak argument.

If a candidate knows the material, whether that's 30% of the candidates or 50%, they should be graded as such.

I'll forfeit your point about the quality of study materials.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 06-30-2016, 10:52 AM
actuarialyle's Avatar
actuarialyle actuarialyle is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2014
College: college is for squares
Posts: 1,698
Default

I will concede the entire experience may have been more difficult due to logistical inconveniences, but I refuse to believe the material was harder back then. I agree mostly with Moctuary, because you're essentially saying it was harder back then because you didn't have internet/amazon prime/there were less study materials. kinda flimsy IMO
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 06-30-2016, 10:55 AM
Tramopoline!'s Avatar
Tramopoline! Tramopoline! is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Studying for GH Core
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarialyle View Post
I will concede the entire experience may have been more difficult due to logistical inconveniences, but I refuse to believe the material was harder back then. I agree mostly with Moctuary, because you're essentially saying it was harder back then because you didn't have internet/amazon prime/there were less study materials. kinda flimsy IMO
But the walk to the testing center was uphill, both ways. In the snow.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 06-30-2016, 12:00 PM
actuarialyle's Avatar
actuarialyle actuarialyle is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2014
College: college is for squares
Posts: 1,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramopoline! View Post
But the walk to the testing center was uphill, both ways. In the snow.
reminds me of that Afroman lyric

"My grandpa said he had to walk 13 miles to school. I said, oh, is that why you didn't graduate?"
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 06-30-2016, 02:59 PM
Mogwai Mogwai is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarialyle View Post
I will concede the entire experience may have been more difficult due to logistical inconveniences, but I refuse to believe the material was harder back then. I agree mostly with Moctuary, because you're essentially saying it was harder back then because you didn't have internet/amazon prime/there were less study materials. kinda flimsy IMO
There were also way less prior exams to look at to know what would be tested. And there was no internet to just go on to and look at old exams.

You sound like a classic young millennial. Up for bitching about anything and everything.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.43978 seconds with 9 queries