Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-31-2016, 12:01 AM
SOA

Default Exams Order and Prerequisite

I have been searching on this topic for a little while, but it seems that I can't find the exact answer that I'm looking for. So I have passed two exams so far, P and FM, and I'm thinking about taking MFE next. However, the next two settings will take place in November 2016 and March 2017, respectively. I don't think I would be able to sit for the November exam since it's only 3 months away and my school season is starting soon. However, the March sitting would be 7 months from now, which seems to take "too long" for a typical exam (since the average is around 3 months per exam without any constraint). Therefore, I'm thinking about sitting for C in February 2017 and MFE in March 2017 (it would be 7 months for 2 exams altogether now). As far as studying goes, I don't think I would have any problem studying for 2 topics simultaneously since that's what I did for P and FM. However, my only concern would be the content of the later exams. Does C require anything from MFE and/or MLC that I should be aware of? I've looked at the syllabus for C and it seems that a lot of stuff requires prior knowledge from P. Same for MFE, the first topic starts with put-call parity from FM. This got me thinking if anything from MFE/MLC serves as a prerequisite to the content in C. Also, the reason why I don't want to sit for MLC is that it's an exclusively SOA exam and I'm not sure what route I wanna go with at this moment, so I want to take MLC last (if I decide to go with the SOA route).
Old 07-31-2016, 12:11 AM
CAS SOA

College: Iowa State University Graduate

There is a very small bit of notation from MLC used in C. It's practically negligible and is fully explained anyways with whichever resource you choose. Other than that, C is pretty much completely its own deal. Many people including myself took C before MFE/MLC.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:25 AM
CAS SOA

As far as which exam you take next, it depends on how busy you are this semester. Three months of study while working full time is plenty of time for MFE, however adding school to that would make it pretty tough.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:34 AM
CAS

Full time school and full time work? Wat
Old 07-31-2016, 01:37 AM
CAS SOA

Maybe his schooling is part time, maybe his job is part time.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:48 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RannowA View Post
As far as which exam you take next, it depends on how busy you are this semester. Three months of study while working full time is plenty of time for MFE, however adding school to that would make it pretty tough.
I'll be a full-time third year undergrad in the fall with 18 credit hours and about 20 hours of part-time work per week. I have tried 23 credit hours course load for the past two semesters along with about 30 hours of part-time per week on the side and still managed to do well (granted that I can cram for a semester worth of course materials two days before the midterms and finals and forget them all after the exams). Therefore, I don't think the upcoming semester would be any different to interfere with my study time for the actuarial exams. In fact, consider that the later exams are known to be more difficult than P and FM, I have reduced my course load and work hours quite a bit to accommodate for more study times. However, I'm hesitated on signing up for MFE in November because I'm not sure if I can prepare for the entire thing within 3 months exactly, so I want to leave myself with some wiggle room by studying for 2 exams in 7 months instead.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:54 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RannowA View Post
Maybe his schooling is part time, maybe his job is part time.
Full-time undergrad working part-time on campus. Sad soul
Old 07-31-2016, 03:15 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
Full time school and full time work? Wat
been there
Old 07-31-2016, 03:16 PM
SOA AAA

not fun