Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 05-21-2014, 01:46 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-I
Favorite beer: Yuengling
Post Entry-level Resume Critique

Last edited by jas1290; 05-08-2015 at 07:48 PM..
Old 05-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Format looks horrible. I'd look through other resumes posted here and borrow from the best. A few years back, seattleguy had compiled some links to resumes and that might be a good place to start. Just search the forum for "seattleguy resume" and you should find the thread.

If you keep the objective, just cut it off at "position". The rest is meaningless filler.

I'd call it Actuarial Exams rather than SOA/CAS. Yeah, people are particular about being truthful - saying preliminary pass - and I'd leave it that way. The good news is that just about everyone, including people who are picky about calling it the preliminary pass, recognize that history has shown that the preliminary pass is effectively a pass, anyway. You don't need the bullet or the parenthesis. Or the comma. I'd just space them slightly apart.

I'd put the degree under the college rather than sticking it on the right margin. Get rid of "Degree:". Abbreviate B.S. I'd put a graduation date on the right margin. My first thought on not seeing the graduation date is that you're trying to hide something. That made me immediately stop reading and start analyzing your timeline to try to figure out when you graduated. You don't want to get the reader looking for problems and I think leaving it out causes that.

Coursework is unnecessary. I'd get rid of it. As a math major, I'd expect to see a bunch of math courses. No surprise there. If you keep them, you can list course topics rather than official course names - so C++ Programming I can just be C++ programming. But, really, I'd get rid of them.

And I'd especially get rid of it after seeing that you don't list C++ under computer skills. I'd leave the Mac stuff off, as nobody cares. I'd leave off the "Microsoft"s. I'd normally leave off Word, too, but that doesn't leave much.

I'm raising money for children's cancer research by getting my head shaved again - my 11th year!!! - at a St Baldrick's event. Please help out by making a donation! Any amount helps!

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE

Or if you're in the area, you can come out to the event and say hi, see me get shaved, have a beverage or two, and see an appearance by Stark Raving Dad. It's at the Kerry Piper in Willowbrook, IL on Sunday, March 17th, 2019 probably from about 11AM to 3PM. If you show up, you'll get a chance to hear me sing Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's "Almost Cut My Hair".

Please help this great cause and make a donation!
Old 05-22-2014, 01:03 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-I

Old 05-22-2014, 01:06 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

I'd put Excel first if you list other stuff.

You take a long time in the first bullet to get what you did. "Receive ..." is irrelevant. "various" is never necessary nor good. When you cut off the first half, it looks like the first two bullets are pretty much the same. So make it one bullet.

It is way better if you can list results rather than just the tasks you do. (Not lab results, but what the significance of the lab results are) That might not be possible, though.

You have some very weak starts - assist, communicate, handle, operate. Focusing on results may let you avoid some. In other cases, focusing on what you did can help - did you "assist" in setting up the lab by setting up the lab?

The communicate bullet is particularly bad. The only real hint to what the whole point of communicating was is from the job title. "communicate ... regarding ... services" is all you say. That's about as vague as you could be.

I'm raising money for children's cancer research by getting my head shaved again - my 11th year!!! - at a St Baldrick's event. Please help out by making a donation! Any amount helps!

Or if you're in the area, you can come out to the event and say hi, see me get shaved, have a beverage or two, and see an appearance by Stark Raving Dad. It's at the Kerry Piper in Willowbrook, IL on Sunday, March 17th, 2019 probably from about 11AM to 3PM. If you show up, you'll get a chance to hear me sing Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's "Almost Cut My Hair".

Old 05-22-2014, 01:15 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas1290 View Post
In addition, making a hasty generalization by saying "nobody cares" about the Mac equivalents of Word and Excel is a bit unfair.
Maybe if you hadn't already listed the MS-equivalents it would be different. Excel and Word were already on there. The fact that you yourself felt it necessary to try to give some explain as to what they are by adding the stuff in parenthesis seems to indicate that even you feel they're not of importance.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:19 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-I
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
Maybe if you hadn't already listed the MS-equivalents it would be different. Excel and Word were already on there. The fact that you yourself felt it necessary to try to give some explain as to what they are by adding the stuff in parenthesis seems to indicate that even you feel they're not of importance.
Yes, I suppose you're right. I'll take those out.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:31 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Did you have to handle Hydrofluoric acid as a lab assistant?

I'm pretty sure that's the only thing in the world I'm scared of.

-Riley
Old 05-22-2014, 01:34 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-I

Old 05-22-2014, 11:18 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas1290 View Post
Yes I did, it was horrible. I totally agree with you, it scared me as well. I actually got a drop on myself once when it bounced out of the beaker onto my arm, I had to put a calcium rich cream on my arm to draw out the acid.
Yeah it was in one of the labs I worked in and I was being trained to work with it so I'm glad I'm no longer around that!

-Riley

Tags
resume advice, resume critique, resume help