Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 11-04-2003, 09:05 PM

Default Course 3 vs Course 4

I wrote course 3 and course 4 this week and it seemed that course 4 was easier than course 3. I thought the level of difficulties for both exams would be a lot easier this time since those exams were so difficult for the May exams.

Course 4 was reasonable and course 3 was quite hard. I don't know if anyone wrote course 3 and course 4 together this week. If so, please give your comments!
Old 11-04-2003, 09:14 PM

Man, 2 exams at the same time! Are you working full time? Course 3 was a living hell for me! I will have to practice more next time.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:22 PM

I'm still studying at University and currently taking 5 courses. I'll graduate in 2004 and I hope I can complete 4 exams when I graduate. You're right. There are a lot of materials covered for course 3 and 4 and the time for those exams are pretty close to each other. I wrote both exams this sitting but I don't think I'll pass course 3. I'm not sure about course 4 (course 4 is ok for me). If I don't pass course 4 this time, I'll write 3 and 4 together again next year.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric
I'm still studying at University and currently taking 5 courses. I'll graduate in 2004 and I hope I can complete 4 exams when I graduate. You're right. There are a lot of materials covered for course 3 and 4 and the time for those exams are pretty close to each other. I wrote both exams this sitting but I don't think I'll pass course 3. I'm not sure about course 4 (course 4 is ok for me). If I don't pass course 4 this time, I'll write 3 and 4 together again next year.
blah blah blah
And I can't be your hero today
-Jimmy Buffett
Old 11-05-2003, 10:42 AM

I took both this sitting and I think I did well. They both seemed harder than the prior exams, but I put in a lot of time and I feel pretty confident. I got blasted on the course 4 forum for mentioning that I felt the exam was easy for me so hopefully I don't offend anyone here.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:50 AM

Default Course 4 is relative easy

I took both of them last May. I think C4 is relative easy because most of its content is applied math. For guys good at it, it is no problem. I got 8 by reading through the material without doing any problems at all. For C3, there are more new concepts for me so that it is a lot harder for me. I checked the answers for C3, don't feel good at all.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:43 PM

I wrote both, and while i don't regret it, there were some formulas for course 4 i didn't memorize. the concepts for c4 were relatively easy, but I knew i didn't have time to memeorize all those formulas, so I just tried to memorize the most important ones. I thought it was easy, but without those formulas, I think I would be lucky to pass, but I don't think it is impossible.

Course 3 I thought was easier than May, but really hard. I did the first 10, and then the last 10, and i thought the exam was going to be soooooooooooooo easy...I was celebrating waaaaaay to early. I got to the middle and got ROCKED, so hopefully I did enough to pass. In May I wrote 2 and 3, and passed 2 and failed 3 (with a 5, I might add - grrrrr!).
Old 11-05-2003, 05:11 PM

Are you guys students? I am amazed!
Old 11-05-2003, 05:20 PM

No, but I work full time. i figure i can take the gamble while i am young. it took me a long time to pass course 1, so i figure i need to play catch up now.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:35 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExamAce
I took both this sitting and I think I did well. They both seemed harder than the prior exams, but I put in a lot of time and I feel pretty confident. I got blasted on the course 4 forum for mentioning that I felt the exam was easy for me so hopefully I don't offend anyone here.
Yes, that's exactly what you said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExamAce
You are definitely right, these exams are just not that difficult. I didn't even spend that much time studying as I dedicated most of my study time to course 3, which I am taking tomorrow.
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree