Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 05-18-2013, 03:06 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9

Yeah, but to do that, I feel like you should switch role/company lines for the job too. Role should be analogous to degree and company should be analogous to school.

Although I do see what you mean about keeping the major and minor next to each other.

I think it'd be fine to bold Government Agency and italicize IT Systems Analyst underneath. Then for education, bold University ABC and italicize BA Mathematics & Economics underneath. Then right below, put the minor.

There could probably be some disagreement here about whether it's better to highlight the company or the role. One might argue that putting the emphasis on the role makes more sense. However, I don't think it matters too much, and putting the company first allows you to put the university first, which allows you to put the major and minor next to each other, which I think flows better.

We're getting kind of nitpicky, I know.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:07 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9

I don't know why I always feel the need to critique these resumes. My own resume isn't even that great.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:29 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
I don't know why I always feel the need to critique these resumes. My own resume isn't even that great.
GTFO
Old 05-18-2013, 06:26 PM
CAS

Wow, thank you for all the replies! So the consensus is to write "B.A. Math and Economics," right? I don't want to give the impression that I have a double major but I do understand that "Joint Major in..." pushes the important bit too far to the left.

Yes, it is very difficult to explain joint majors, but I thought that not being able to explain the major wasn't a good reason to not choose the major so... here we are. That's probably the "J" talking too.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTJgirl View Post
Yes, it is very difficult to explain joint majors,
You don't have to explain on the resume, imo.

I'm raising money for children's cancer research by getting my head shaved again - my 11th year!!! - at a St Baldrick's event. Please help out by making a donation! Any amount helps!

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE

Or if you're in the area, you can come out to the event and say hi, see me get shaved, have a beverage or two, and see an appearance by Stark Raving Dad. It's at the Kerry Piper in Willowbrook, IL on Sunday, March 17th, 2019 probably from about 11AM to 3PM. If you show up, you'll get a chance to hear me sing Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's "Almost Cut My Hair".

Please help this great cause and make a donation!
Old 05-18-2013, 08:10 PM
CAS

Should I add something about completed VEE requirements?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:13 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
"completed VEE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
"completed VEE"
I'd add "requirements", but, yeah, keep it short. Single line for sure. Just tack it on right after the exams. Don't change the section title.

I'm raising money for children's cancer research by getting my head shaved again - my 11th year!!! - at a St Baldrick's event. Please help out by making a donation! Any amount helps!

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE

Or if you're in the area, you can come out to the event and say hi, see me get shaved, have a beverage or two, and see an appearance by Stark Raving Dad. It's at the Kerry Piper in Willowbrook, IL on Sunday, March 17th, 2019 probably from about 11AM to 3PM. If you show up, you'll get a chance to hear me sing Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's "Almost Cut My Hair".

Please help this great cause and make a donation!
Old 05-19-2013, 11:33 PM
CAS

Hello everyone! I attached a third version with the OP. The very unpopular boxes around the exams were removed and I also took out the objective. I changed the experience bullets to elaborate on my project lead experience. However, I didn't switch the positioning of the role & major with the company & university. I felt that the role & major were more important so it should remain in bold and on top. My resume, my decision, not that I don't value your highly esteemed input...

Thanks again for reading!
Old 05-24-2013, 07:43 PM
CAS

If that came out as arrogant or disrespectful in any way, I sincerely do apologize as it was never my intention. I meant it in the literal sense in that I very much value any input I receive here. I'm just wondering why there has been no replies...

Tags
career advice, resume critique, resume help