Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-06-2013, 08:34 PM
CAS

Studying for 5
Favorite beer: Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuary View Post
Hello AO! This is my first post after being a long time lurker, so please inform me if I break any faux pas.

I am a 27 y.o. career changer who switched from a Culinary and Baking and Pastry background, to an actuarial back ground. I know this will confuse some of you
What is confusing about this? Seems like a popular switch lately. Must be all the dough.
ACAS
Old 08-06-2013, 08:37 PM

You have a 3.2

Congrats on the exams

What is the "ASA Club"? Be aware that people who didn't go to your college will be reading your resume. Also, that sort of stuff doesn't really belong up in education, that seems like an extracurricular that belongs in a different section. Same with the NHS comment

The formatting is off a little on your experience. Experience is ok, but if you were working a lot, I would like for you to list how many hours a week you worked if it was a lot. Like, if you were going to college full time, passing exams, and working 20+ hours a week, that's a pretty big load to balance.

Second place in the math contest is a little bit too much like "second prize in a beauty contest" from Monopoly. I'd get rid of it.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:44 PM
CAS SOA

College: GSU Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
vjvj's advice is good. Also, in your EL job, how often are you bringing cake to the office? I'm asking for a friend.
HAHA I kid you not, I will mention this in an interview if given an opportunity to outline the advantages of hiring me. Of course I will mention serious stuff, but then I get to the real serious issue of pastry possibilities. Just to be safe, I'll probably bring in a cake or other pastry at least once a month for the first six months. You know, get some of that job security.

Imagine it:

Boss- Did you pass your sitting of super uber hard SOA exam XYZ?

Me- I was unsuccessful at my attempt, but successful at my attempt of handcrafting this German chocolate cake with piped couveture chocolate and covered in a carmel pecan lace.

Boss- What were we talking about?

Me- Cake I think.

Boss- Yes, yes. Excellent work son.

Me- Thank you.

Ok, back to seriousness. lol
Old 08-06-2013, 09:06 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus1233 View Post
You have a 3.2

Congrats on the exams

What is the "ASA Club"? Be aware that people who didn't go to your college will be reading your resume. Also, that sort of stuff doesn't really belong up in education, that seems like an extracurricular that belongs in a different section. Same with the NHS comment

The formatting is off a little on your experience. Experience is ok, but if you were working a lot, I would like for you to list how many hours a week you worked if it was a lot. Like, if you were going to college full time, passing exams, and working 20+ hours a week, that's a pretty big load to balance.

Second place in the math contest is a little bit too much like "second prize in a beauty contest" from Monopoly. I'd get rid of it.
Thanks for the reply.

So the second place in the math competitions was actually tied for first both times. Because there were cash prizes associated, the other guy got first for a "more correct answer". I can see how this is distracting, I just was concerned about getting some actuarial "looking" items on there.

The ASA club is an actuarial school club, and you are right about it at minimum being moved to the bottom. The "National honor soc..." is actually our schools honor society for business students. It required some work to join, as well as grades, and ended up looking more like a fraternity on paper. : / Maybe I should just replace it with something along the lines of made deans list multiple times type bullet.

As far as my work time goes, I actually was working some 60 hours and two jobs when I was in culinary school and baking and pastry school. After I transferred to GSU I began working 20 hours my first year, and then started working closer to a measly 10 hours the following 3 years. I actually earned more during that time than the previous job due to the much higher pay as a private tutor. To be honest, this would not have been sustainable if my nurse wife wasn't assisting. It was a decision we made together.

And I know realize that if it takes that much explaining, it shouldn't be on there. I'm going to make many changes and update in just a few minutes. Thanks for all the critiques.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:24 PM
CAS SOA

Thank you all for the wonderful critiques. I have applied the vast majority of them I believe, and took a while to reformat the resume. Please feel free to take a look at the changes, and critic more if you wish. I hope I got all of your advice represented in this draft.

Thank you all for your help so far, you all rock.

Last edited by Joshuary; 07-02-2015 at 07:37 PM..
Old 08-06-2013, 11:01 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Kwak

imo the last three bullets of the Grocery Store job can be cut out.

Right align the dates better (so they line up on the right side).

Grocery store date dash is a hyphen and not a dash, make it same style as the others.

Computer SKills below Education since they're more relevant than experience.

Font size isn't consistent (Skills and Activities are smaller)

Spacing after bullets isn't consistent.

Section underlines are not consistent (Experience is way above its line).

Have consistent line breaks after every section.

Overall the text spacing looks inconsistent.

My use of "inconsistent" vs "not consistent" in this post is not consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
you are a visionary
Old 08-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

-Created a database in Access for a study, and imported the data into Excel

This bullet says nothing currently, but you need to find a way to explain why you were making the database and what results came out of it, especially since those are the most relevant softwares to our field that you have experience with.

The main problem in your resume currently is that everything you have on there is task oriented. We don't need you to explain the responsibilities of your job, but rather how you impacted results while performing these responsibilities. Instead of "kept track of perishable items" -> "Increased cake efficiency (or whatever metric you use) from 80% to 90% while managing supplies." You need to approach every bullet with that in mind.

I would recommend adding descriptions to the exam titles. Older actuaries often don't know that MLC is Modeling: Life Contingencies. I also don't like "Sitting for in November 2013." Just "Sitting, November 2013" reads a little cleaner. If you make this change, also add commas after "Passed."

Otherwise, your formatting is fine.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:49 PM
SOA

You said you aced your Actuarial Science courses. Does your college give you a separate GPA for your major? If so, and it's higher, I'd list it separately.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:15 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
I would recommend adding descriptions to the exam titles. Older actuaries often don't know that MLC is Modeling: Life Contingencies.
Whoever is reading the resumes should know the exams. Even if they don't initially, you have to think, if they're sitting there with even just 20 resumes in front of them, the majority are going to just use letters or numbers, not full titles, so they'll figure it out within a few minutes.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
Whoever is reading the resumes should know the exams. Even if they don't initially, you have to think, if they're sitting there with even just 20 resumes in front of them, the majority are going to just use letters or numbers, not full titles, so they'll figure it out within a few minutes.
You'd be surprised how many actuaries don't really keep up with the exam system once they finish. If he was hurting with space I'd go your way, but since he's already committing 1 line per exam on the resume, it's not going to crowd anything else out. For the people who know the exam system, it won't hurt him because they can still breeze through the parts they need to without delays. For the people that don't know the exams, it will help a lot.

Tags
career advice, resume critique, tl;dr