Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-17-2013, 11:25 PM
Non-Actuary

Teaching Assistant is a pretty common title for undergrads. Sometimes it's called Undergraduate Teaching Assistant. Grad students are often called Teaching Associates.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:27 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB89 View Post
Teaching Assistant is a pretty common title for undergrads. Sometimes it's called Undergraduate Teaching Assistant. Grad students are often called Teaching Associates.
I've heard the opposite, actually. One prof told me that undergraduate students are typically known as "Academic Assistants," and that graduate students are known as TAs.

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: GLMs, Bayesian Stats, Time Series
Old 11-17-2013, 11:29 PM
Non-Actuary

I'm sure it varies by institution. I was a Teaching Assistant as an undergrad, Teaching Associate as a grad student. On the other hand, graduate students at my undergrad institution are still called Teaching Assistants.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:35 PM
SOA

College: San Francisco State University

You all are so awesome, now that my entire resume is gutted and I realize that I don't qualify for much more than to be a pizza delivery guy, would you mind looking one more time?

Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf The_Taps_Resume.pdf (45.5 KB, 127 views)
Old 11-17-2013, 11:38 PM
SOA

College: San Francisco State University

Unfortunately, my schools website is down so I cannot really check the exact titles, but I think for one of my positions I am called a Student Assistant, but I have three separate jobs, more or less doing the same. I know that my professors refer to me as a TA so I sort of just ran with that.

Man, I thought I had a really good resume, now it just looks naked.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Non-Actuary

I'd put 1 bullet point in for each of the 3 jobs that look empty. Maybe one for the activity you listed.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:45 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tapatio_Man View Post
You all are so awesome, now that my entire resume is gutted and I realize that I don't qualify for much more than to be a pizza delivery guy, would you mind looking one more time?

Thanks again!
Sarcasm? (FYI, use red text to signal this on the AO.)

Honestly, I can't stand reading bullet points that are easily implied from the job title. It may fill up your resume, but it doesn't help to display anything unique about you being in that position.

For example, when I think of a TA, I think of someone who:

1) Needs to communicate w/students on a frequent basis so that they understand the material
2) Probably has to grade for the professor(s).

Just those two things are what were on your bullet points, essentially. Did you do anything out of the ordinary while you were in those positions? Is there any detail that I cannot figure out just by reading the job title? That is what I feel should be emphasized in a resume.

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: GLMs, Bayesian Stats, Time Series
Old 11-18-2013, 09:24 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tapatio_Man View Post

Thanks again!
At least one bullet point for each position that would distinguish you. Dont be generic.

For example, TAs are expected to tutor, lead review sessions, and grade papers. No need to put that on. Instead focus on distinguishing features. What did you accomplish? Did students in your tutor session consistently score better on the exams? Were you a very highly rates tutor based on feedback?

In your deli job, an earlier version said you were a leader. What did you accomplish? Did you improve anything as a result of you going above and beyond? What distinguishes you from other shift leaders?

In general, with resume bullets, dont just say what you did. Explain the effects resulting from what you did.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

I'm not too keen on relevant work experience that isn't particularly relevant. I don't see that you really gain anything by splitting jobs into two sections.

I don't see the point in specifying "Current Address:".

I think the overall look would be much better if you indented everything under the section headings a little. It will make the sections stand out more, plus it generally give the resume a more open look.

Your margins look small. That also gives it a denser look.

I'd not put GPAs on the right margin. I'd right justify stuff on the right margin.

Personally, I think abbreviated months are easier to read. The make things line up nicer, too.

I'd leave a tutor bullet in there that just covers subjects. If you feel it is too redundant with the job title, just leave "Math" off the job title. If you built up a sizable business, you might also get a business bullet out of it, but I suspect that's not the case since you had other simultaneous jobs and school.

For the TA bullet, don't start with "Help", as it is too passive and really attributes most of the work to the prof. We don't care what the prof did and there is no reason to mention to professors. Just take credit for what you did. Listing the subjects is good, but you can combine it oito the "Led student discussion sessions" part.

I'm not fond of the tech exp section. First, the title seems slightly misleading. When I think of "experience", I think of work. But your experience doesn't seem to be "experience". Also, what you list are computer skills and I'd probably just go with Computer Skills instead. The long explanations do a good job of hiding the apps. They don't stand out. Also, the "with writing reports" is really awkward and made me read the bullet several times to try and decipher it. Don't count on the reader making multiple tries at reading something. More likely, they'll just chalk it up to bad communication and it will be just one more thing likely to get it in the reject pile. SAS bullet is really awkward, too. So it the last one. I see no reason to declare it "additional experience" first, not to say "includes", which implies you're not telling us something. Also, don't use those hyphens. Use bullets.

"Member" indicates you weren't active in the econ assoc and it doesn't warrant being placed above anything else in the resume.

Put the jobs in reverse chronological order.

Team leader , which seems to be the most important thing on the resume, is listed absolutely last without comment. Hype this. How many people were working for you? This is another reason for not splitting the work experience. You've hidden your best experience imo that way.

I'm raising money for children's cancer research by getting my head shaved again - my 11th year!!! - at a St Baldrick's event. Please help out by making a donation! Any amount helps!

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE

Or if you're in the area, you can come out to the event and say hi, see me get shaved, have a beverage or two, and see an appearance by Stark Raving Dad. It's at the Kerry Piper in Willowbrook, IL on Sunday, March 17th, 2019 probably from about 11AM to 3PM. If you show up, you'll get a chance to hear me sing Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's "Almost Cut My Hair".

Please help this great cause and make a donation!
Old 11-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Oh, didn't read the thread, btw. Sorry if they're all repeats.

I'm raising money for children's cancer research by getting my head shaved again - my 11th year!!! - at a St Baldrick's event. Please help out by making a donation! Any amount helps!

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE

Or if you're in the area, you can come out to the event and say hi, see me get shaved, have a beverage or two, and see an appearance by Stark Raving Dad. It's at the Kerry Piper in Willowbrook, IL on Sunday, March 17th, 2019 probably from about 11AM to 3PM. If you show up, you'll get a chance to hear me sing Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's "Almost Cut My Hair".

Please help this great cause and make a donation!

Tags
internships, resume, resume critique, resume on internet