Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-01-2015, 01:40 AM
xilyn xilyn is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Studying for C
Posts: 21
Default 3 Exams No Interview

I am currently a junior studying Statistics and Quantitative Modeling. I have been applying for a summer internship since October but I have not got one call or an email to go in for interviews. I even went to career fairs and hand in my resume in person.

Here is a summary of my Qualificaitons:
-3 exams: P, FM, MFE
-Pretty good with Excel and familiar with VBA
-GPA is 3.0
-No previous experience. Worked mostly in Bars, Bartending for weddings
-A lot of extracurricular activities and I was on e-board
-I am not shy and have no problem talking to people
-I was told the format of my resume good (not sure about the contents but they are what i listed above)

I don't understand why I am not getting any replies. I don't think I am the best candidate but I was hoping that I could of at least get an interview.

Can anyone shed some light or offer some advice? What can I do to land an internship? Is 3 exam not enough or my gpa too low?

Last edited by xilyn; 12-02-2015 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: add in attachment
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-01-2015, 01:54 AM
Domingo Montoya's Avatar
Domingo Montoya Domingo Montoya is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 14,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilyn View Post
I am currently a junior studying Statistics and Quantitative Modeling. I have been applying for a summer internship since October but I have not got one call or an email to go in for interviews. I even went to career fairs and hand in my resume in person.

Here is a summary of my Qualificaitons:
-3 exams: P, FM, MFE
-Pretty good with Excel and familiar with VBA
-GPA is 3.0
-No previous experience. Worked mostly in Bars, Bartending for weddings
-A lot of extracurricular activities and I was on e-board
-I am not shy and have no problem talking to people
-I was told the format of my resume good (not sure about the contents but they are what i listed above)

I don't understand why I am not getting any replies. I don't think I am the best candidate but I was hoping that I could of at least get an interview.

Can anyone shed some light or offer some advice? What can I do to land an internship? Is 3 exam not enough or my gpa too low?
Exams and gpa are fine. How many applications have you sent out? Some companies get their internships for the next summer lined up pretty quickly.
__________________
I like turtles.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-01-2015, 02:06 AM
redearedslider's Avatar
redearedslider redearedslider is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,461
Default

Post a resume. 3.0 is on the low end.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
ASM does not have a discussion of stimulation, but considering how boring the manual is, maybe it would be a good idea.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-01-2015, 02:50 AM
haleema.24 haleema.24 is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 50
Default

How do they verify your gpa? Is that included in the background check or unofficial transcript?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-01-2015, 03:09 AM
redearedslider's Avatar
redearedslider redearedslider is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleema.24 View Post
How do they verify your gpa? Is that included in the background check or unofficial transcript?
They ask for a transcript. The government doesn't hand out your GPA as part of a criminal background check, don't worry.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
ASM does not have a discussion of stimulation, but considering how boring the manual is, maybe it would be a good idea.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-01-2015, 03:49 AM
haleema.24 haleema.24 is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
They ask for a transcript. The government doesn't hand out your GPA as part of a criminal background check, don't worry.
My current employer got my gpa when they did a background check. Some companies include that too. Thus I asked.

Thank You.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-01-2015, 05:01 AM
xilyn xilyn is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Studying for C
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domingo Montoya View Post
Exams and gpa are fine. How many applications have you sent out? Some companies get their internships for the next summer lined up pretty quickly.
I'm going to be honest with you so far I only applied to about 8-9 companies. Mainly the ones I know or heard of. My friend linked me to the thread where there was a map of all the actuary companies across U.S. I'm going to start applying more tomorrow.

I know i should be applying to more companies but I just didnt expect to not even get an interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
Post a resume. 3.0 is on the low end.
Hey, I posted my Resume. Please take a look thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleema.24 View Post
How do they verify your gpa? Is that included in the background check or unofficial transcript?
They never ask me for a transcript. I always thought they can find that out though.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-01-2015, 09:10 AM
ichbinnreine's Avatar
ichbinnreine ichbinnreine is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Studying for ever.
Favorite beer: Long Trail Ale
Posts: 1,706
Default

Looks to me like you're getting a bachelor's in business administration.... not stats. That could be the biggest problem. Or maybe you're not showing it correctly? Also - is it a BA or BS? 3.0 is low for a business admin degree IMO. What's your math GPA? I agree it seems like you have the technical skills needed for an internship plus 3 exams shows significant interest in the field, but your degree/GPA might be holding you back.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-01-2015, 09:14 AM
Guest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Do you require sponsorship?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-01-2015, 09:24 AM
ichbinnreine's Avatar
ichbinnreine ichbinnreine is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Studying for ever.
Favorite beer: Long Trail Ale
Posts: 1,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
Do you require sponsorship?
It's an internship
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
entry level advice, internship, job opportunity, no surprise really, real name as username, resume critique

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.47676 seconds with 9 queries