Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-01-2015, 11:31 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbinnreine View Post
Looks to me like you're getting a bachelor's in business administration.... not stats. That could be the biggest problem. Or maybe you're not showing it correctly? Also - is it a BA or BS? 3.0 is low for a business admin degree IMO. What's your math GPA? I agree it seems like you have the technical skills needed for an internship plus 3 exams shows significant interest in the field, but your degree/GPA might be holding you back.
I disagree that the degree is holding him back. Who cares what degree you have if you have the aptitude to pass 3 exams? Actually, if you can pass 3 exams while in school and not be a math major then I'd be more interested.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:38 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
Do you require sponsorship?
Quote:
It's an internship
You would be surprised a lot of companies state that they require US citizenship. I know a good amount of friends who were restricted with what they could apply for.

As for the internship I honestly think that if you dont have an amazing resume getting an actuarial internship is difficult, the next best thing is to aim for an internship with underwriting, risk, data, accounting, IT etc. anything within the insurance industry and leverage that internship for an actuarial position when you graduate. Just understanding stuff from another role adds significant value to being an actuary.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:42 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

It's probably the combination of low number of applications and GPA. Also, nyc is pretty competitive. If you send out 50 or so applications across the country I think you'll get something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:09 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9

it's mainly because of the low number of applications. i had a very high GPA but my call-back ratio at entry-level was lower than 1 in 8 or 1 in 9. there are just a lot of applicants for most positions. they don't interview everybody, and it doesn't necessarily mean you're a bad candidate if they don't call you.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:27 PM
CAS AAA

It's obvious from your resume and wording in this thread that you are ESL (aka probably needs sponsorship). Between that, a low GPA and a strangely worded major, it's going to be a rough road to find an internship. Companies get hundreds of resumes for 2-3 spots, so they can choose to be picky.

You will need to apply to 10 times as many positions as you have to get a shot.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:01 PM
CAS

I would normally recommend removing your real name from the resume you posted but for other reasons I don't think it matters at this point.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:58 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

In addition to what I said above, calling it "Sas" (instead of "SAS") suggests that your "familiarity" isn't very deep.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 12-01-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
In addition to what I said above, calling it "Sas" (instead of "SAS") suggests that your "familiarity" isn't very deep.
How do you pronounce gif?

That is the technical question I ask in every interview.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:08 PM
SOA AAA

Couple of things that might be holding you back:
1. Low GPA. There are hundreds of other candidates with better GPAs.
2. CUNY (if your location is real). There are hundreds of other candidates from better schools with better GPA's.
3. Lack of networking. The above two issues can be mitigated somewhat with better networking, so that the people making the decisions will look past these shortcomings and see some potential in you. Can't do that unless and until they meet you.
4. People have met you, and have already decided that you will not fit. But, really, that is not as much you as it is the resume collectors, who are screening out 99% of the people they meet as undesirable. Sexually, that is. That's why they volunteer for the Career Fair. Now, ask them what they're doing afterward, that you know of a fun bar/café/restaurant that you can meet after this charade is over, and you can talk a little more privately about their company and you.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:11 PM
SOA

Studying for C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
Do you require sponsorship?
No I grew up in the U.S.

Quote:
Looks to me like you're getting a bachelor's in business administration.... not stats. That could be the biggest problem. Or maybe you're not showing it correctly? Also - is it a BA or BS? 3.0 is low for a business admin degree IMO. What's your math GPA? I agree it seems like you have the technical skills needed for an internship plus 3 exams shows significant interest in the field, but your degree/GPA might be holding you back.
I took this degree because it covered my stats and finance Vees. And I minored in Econ to cover my econ Vees. I could talk about this but I don't even have a chance to get an interview.

I always thought GPA matters but Exam will matter more. Focused on exam and work because i had to pay for living.

Tags
entry level advice, internship, job opportunity, no surprise really, real name as username, resume critique