Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 08-01-2018, 05:35 PM
CAS

College: College
Default Resume Review Request

Hi everyone. If you so choose to review my resume, please feel free to be as critical or kind as you would like to be. I am attempting to present myself in the best light possible given the boundaries that my experience creates.

Any advice is appreciated!

***For anyone who reviews my resume, I have edited my technical skill levels to Intermediate, Beginner to Intermediate, and Beginner in that order.

Last edited by freeprinter; 08-15-2018 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: Edit on my resume
Old 08-07-2018, 02:14 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

It's really dense for what it is. I'd try to thin it out.

I'd try to leave a 1" margin.

I'd indent all text under the section headings a little. That generally makes the overall format stand out more and tends to make the resume look less dense. If you do that, you wont need to use all-caps, bolding, and big font on the section headings.

I'd be careful with the big font and bolding. It draws attention away from everything else, and everything else is really what you want the reader to see.

I'd right justify all dates, maybe with the exception of exams. I'd not put anything else on the RHS.

I'd put the exam section first. I'd leave off the exam description. I'd put the Passed/Sitting fairly near the exam name and would left align them. No need for the comma, then. Maybe the exam dates, too.

I'd leave periods off the ends of lines

I'd abbreviate B.A. and try to put the minor on a separate line. And I'd try to put the GPA on a separate line. It's good and where it is now, it's harder to see. I'd leave off the "/4.00"s. If you're gonna bold anything with the GPA, it ought to be the actual GPA and not the label for it. I'd leave off the "expected". As it's based on GPA, dean's list is obvious. Pi Mu Epsilon isn't a big deal, as requirements are not all that stringent. And FACHEX says more about your parents than you. You can leave that whole bulleted thing off.

I'd not use two levels of bullet.

The actuarial intern bullets could all be better. They focus on tools and tasks. It is better to write as much as possible in terms of results or the business. So "conducted ... analysis using SQL..." isn't really the point. Neither is "built a table". And there's no point in just saying you did anything ad hoc. Just say what you did. "to conclude a rise" is really awkward.

If the point was increased efficiency, make that the point of the bullet. Do you know how much time you saved? Maybe how long did it take to assemble docs before and after?

I'd probably leave off the "to avoid ..." and "for clarity...", which seem fairly obvious.

You spend too much space in computer skills imo. It makes you not want to read it. Even without mentioning Excel and SQL, the actuarial intern bullets would make the reader think you've used them. I don't think you gain anything by mentioning that you've used vlookup, etc. I'd keep it simple and trust the reader.

Involvement is a weird work to use imo. It's volunteer work and I think a title along those lines would be clearer. I'd keep the section simple. The bullets are padded and aren't really even necessary. It is totally obvious what a calculus tutor would do - teach calculus. The GED bullet is OK, as it's not exactly clear from the title, but I'd use "taught" rather than "led classes" and I'd put the GED part nearer the start.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:24 PM
CAS

College: College

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
It's really dense for what it is. I'd try to thin it out.

I'd try to leave a 1" margin.

I'd indent all text under the section headings a little. That generally makes the overall format stand out more and tends to make the resume look less dense. If you do that, you wont need to use all-caps, bolding, and big font on the section headings.

I'd be careful with the big font and bolding. It draws attention away from everything else, and everything else is really what you want the reader to see.

I'd right justify all dates, maybe with the exception of exams. I'd not put anything else on the RHS.

I'd put the exam section first. I'd leave off the exam description. I'd put the Passed/Sitting fairly near the exam name and would left align them. No need for the comma, then. Maybe the exam dates, too.

I'd leave periods off the ends of lines

I'd abbreviate B.A. and try to put the minor on a separate line. And I'd try to put the GPA on a separate line. It's good and where it is now, it's harder to see. I'd leave off the "/4.00"s. If you're gonna bold anything with the GPA, it ought to be the actual GPA and not the label for it. I'd leave off the "expected". As it's based on GPA, dean's list is obvious. Pi Mu Epsilon isn't a big deal, as requirements are not all that stringent. And FACHEX says more about your parents than you. You can leave that whole bulleted thing off.

I'd not use two levels of bullet.

The actuarial intern bullets could all be better. They focus on tools and tasks. It is better to write as much as possible in terms of results or the business. So "conducted ... analysis using SQL..." isn't really the point. Neither is "built a table". And there's no point in just saying you did anything ad hoc. Just say what you did. "to conclude a rise" is really awkward.

If the point was increased efficiency, make that the point of the bullet. Do you know how much time you saved? Maybe how long did it take to assemble docs before and after?

I'd probably leave off the "to avoid ..." and "for clarity...", which seem fairly obvious.

You spend too much space in computer skills imo. It makes you not want to read it. Even without mentioning Excel and SQL, the actuarial intern bullets would make the reader think you've used them. I don't think you gain anything by mentioning that you've used vlookup, etc. I'd keep it simple and trust the reader.

Involvement is a weird work to use imo. It's volunteer work and I think a title along those lines would be clearer. I'd keep the section simple. The bullets are padded and aren't really even necessary. It is totally obvious what a calculus tutor would do - teach calculus. The GED bullet is OK, as it's not exactly clear from the title, but I'd use "taught" rather than "led classes" and I'd put the GED part nearer the start.
Thanks a lot for the reply vjvj. I have changed it some since then but most of your advice can still be implemented.

Tags
resume advice, resume critique