Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-03-2018, 12:52 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier View Post
my team is properly rated today! Go Cats!

Me and gosu are gonna party like its 1985!
Congrats. Two titles in three years is pretty impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
what's a JAS
Old 04-03-2018, 12:59 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pujols4Prez View Post
Not counting play in wins because that just gets you into the field of 64. You should check again. ACC had 9 teams get in so they have 9 losses.
I meant 12-9... so if Syracuse had lost would you have counted that? :P. It's still a tournament win whether you like it or not. Do we count Kansas St. beating UMBC as a win?
Old 04-03-2018, 01:07 PM
SOA

College: Caltech, Class of 2000

Play-in games are different from regular games; it's OK to count them separately.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:17 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
I meant 12-9... so if Syracuse had lost would you have counted that? :P. It's still a tournament win whether you like it or not. Do we count Kansas St. beating UMBC as a win?
If they lost I would not. PAC 12 was 0-1. They only had one team make the tournament. The only other way to count play-in games as a result is to then give all of the other 60 teams an extra win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Play-in games are different from regular games; it's OK to count them separately.
This.

Quote:
what's a JAS
Old 04-03-2018, 02:32 PM
SOA

Quote:
If they lost I would not. PAC 12 was 0-1. They only had one team make the tournament. The only other way to count play-in games as a result is to then give all of the other 60 teams an extra win.

This.
So you count Kansas beating the sisters of the poor but you dot count Syracuse beating a team that was ranked similarly to them.

So if Syracuse had lost in the play-in game that wouldn't be a mark against the ACC but if they won that game and then lost to the 6 seed then that counts as a poor performance?

It's almost as if this metric of "record in the NCAA tournament" is stupid.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:39 PM
SOA

Quote:
So you count Kansas beating the sisters of the poor but you dot count Syracuse beating a team that was ranked similarly to them.

So if Syracuse had lost in the play-in game that wouldn't be a mark against the ACC but if they won that game and then lost to the 6 seed then that counts as a poor performance?

I don't put regular season games, conference tournament wins, or play-in wins in the same category as NCAA Tournament wins.

From my perspective play-in games are just that, games that give you the opportunity to make it into the 64-team bracket.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:42 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:

Yeah, I don't count that, because Syracuse had to win that game JUST to make the field of 64. That metric has its flaws just like every metric. I don't even think comparing conferences is that useful of an exercise because there are so many variables. I just don't see what causes people to say the Big XII is overrated this year compared to any other conference. I even heard a color guy on an ACC game this year (apparently he played at Virginia) say that the Big XII was nice and all, but what Trae Young was doing wasn't impressive because the competition was poor. He then doubled down to say Marvin Bagley would average 50 points a game if he was in the Big XII. He was obviously nuts, but that seems to be the sentiment, but I don't see metrics that back it up.

Quote:
what's a JAS
Old 04-03-2018, 03:31 PM
SOA

Quote:
Yeah, I don't count that, because Syracuse had to win that game JUST to make the field of 64. That metric has its flaws just like every metric. I don't even think comparing conferences is that useful of an exercise because there are so many variables. I just don't see what causes people to say the Big XII is overrated this year compared to any other conference. I even heard a color guy on an ACC game this year (apparently he played at Virginia) say that the Big XII was nice and all, but what Trae Young was doing wasn't impressive because the competition was poor. He then doubled down to say Marvin Bagley would average 50 points a game if he was in the Big XII. He was obviously nuts, but that seems to be the sentiment, but I don't see metrics that back it up.
That metric has way more flaws than most metrics.

The Big 12 is a great conference, no doubt. Mostly I say that because it has only 10 teams and usually 8 or 9 of them are pretty good. That means that there are very few nights off.

This doesn't mean the top teams are any better than the top teams in other conferences. Kansas/WV/Texas Tech certainly aren't any better than UVA/Duke/UNC or Mich St./Purdue/Michigan. The ACC and B10 just have more teams at the bottom.

Do you rate a conference based on their top teams or their bottom teams? I'd say we generally care a lot more about the top teams.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:55 PM
SOA

This is roughly how I rate conferences:

- Championships
- Final Fours
- Combined Tournament wins (usually 10+ is very good)
- Number of teams to make the Tournament

Usually the metric for a dominant conference in a particular season is:
- Win Championship (this is a must)
- 2+ teams in Final Four
- 15+ wins
- 5+ teams (Half the teams if conference has 9 teams or fewer)

Conferences to meet all these metrics:
1985 Big East
1989 Big Ten
2000 Big Ten

Curiously this has never been done by the ACC.