Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Modules 1-5
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-07-2016, 02:57 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP

In retrospect, EOM4 was probably the easiest assignment. For this question, it would have been nice to have the model to play around with, but they're not actually asking you to come up with a better or ideal solution, just to look at the numbers and comment on whether doubling marketing expenditures worked or not.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:36 PM
SOA

Studying for pidgeys
Favorite beer: Capt. Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthemyst View Post
In retrospect, EOM4 was probably the easiest assignment. For this question, it would have been nice to have the model to play around with, but they're not actually asking you to come up with a better or ideal solution, just to look at the numbers and comment on whether doubling marketing expenditures worked or not.

still waiting for results but yeah wasn't that bad

FV DP GH-S
HE HF PRF/ERM DMAC FAC
Old 11-29-2016, 05:28 PM
CAS SOA

Am I to assume that the only mitigation strategy the model takes into account is to just double the marketing budget? Or are there multiple strategies going on and I have to make up what they are?

It seems to me that they have at least a couple mitigation strategies going on here since wages went down but rent stayed the same. Which, to me, implies that they aren't closing stores, just trying to run more efficiently after the tainted sh*t hit the fan?

Really frustrated because I could bang this out pretty quickly either way, I just don't know which way to go with it.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:32 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Koi View Post
Am I to assume that the only mitigation strategy the model takes into account is to just double the marketing budget? Or are there multiple strategies going on and I have to make up what they are?

It seems to me that they have at least a couple mitigation strategies going on here since wages went down but rent stayed the same. Which, to me, implies that they aren't closing stores, just trying to run more efficiently after the tainted sh*t hit the fan?
They are only asking for you to analyze the scenario outputs and comment on whether you think the marketing strategy worked. I don't think it can hurt to elaborate on what you are seeing, clearly marketing fees is not the only changing variable.

I said something along those same lines of wages and salaries decreasing by a large %, while gross profit shrunk by a smaller %, and tried to tell a story around those observations. It may have been more than they were asking for in the question, but I haven't gotten my grade yet...
Old 11-29-2016, 08:57 PM
CAS SOA

Thanks Kid
Old 12-08-2016, 09:49 AM
SOA

In the process of working through this section as well. Similar to others, my initial thoughts are to look at percentage changes of the line items and draw conclusions from there, although it seems really open ended in terms of what you can deduce.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:01 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by oswaldcobblepot View Post
it seems really open ended in terms of what you can deduce.
Ya I'm about to drop a deduce on this module. Hopefully It'll be a one flusher and doesn't resurface 60 days from now.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:08 PM
SOA

College: UNC-Chapel Hill

I believe Wages, Salaries, and Equipment decreasing by ~20% implies that roughly 20% of stores close. Rent does not decrease by a similar amount because the stores are under rental contracts.

Tags
eom4