Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:45 AM

Nicer pants - wool and linen and similar, but not cotton. Would still call that biz cas since there's no coat and tie, but definitely a step above "normal" biz cas.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
One company I worked at specifically excluded Dockers from their business casual dress code, after many years of allowing them.
I worked at one company that changed the dress code to business casual and then cut a deal with one of the local stores to provide suitable clothing to their staff at a serious discount. They didn't feel it was fair to junior people to suddenly have to purchase an entire new wardrobe in order to fit in.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:47 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
If they don't allow dockers, then what does "business casual" mean? I thought that was pretty much the typical example.

Did they want people to wear a suit without a tie like Nattymo said? I'd be pretty upset if a company said they were business casual and expected me to wear a suit every day.
In my mind it's a suit minus the jacket and tie. So the pants would typically be wool. Although at most offices I've been to, people wouldn't bat an eye at khakis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:21 PM
SOA AAA

I wear dockers every day, except Friday which is casual. Friday is jeans and Hawaiian print shirt (Tommy Bahama). 'Cause, no shorts.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:12 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

I think that so long as you're better dressed than the folks in I.T., you're close enough to business casual for your company.

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 05-29-2017, 08:29 PM
SOA

Just take a look at how the people around your office dress, and you can get a good sense. I would assume if things like chinos aren't business casual, your office has one of the more stricter dress codes (at least from what I've seen in actuarial).
Old 05-29-2017, 10:07 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

Chinos, in and of themselves, are :meh: . . . they could work and they could fail.

Choosing conservative colors and avoiding "woven belts" is a way to move them more toward the formal end . . . along with appropriate footwear (most specifically, "dress" socks that will cover any exposed skin when sitting).

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES