Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:02 PM
CAS SOA COPA

Favorite beer: Westmalle Tripel

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
It would be great to have one actuarial society, just so I can hang out with the saucy P&C people.
You can crash the CAS meetings like I crashed the SOA meeting.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:12 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness Falls View Post
How is this a great idea?
Do we organize ourselves based upon personal interest or public interest? I fail to see how the public benefits in having two actuarial organizations because of an arbitrary line (the work I do is nothing like, say, pension work, but I don't worry about having my interests represented). I used to do disability. I think it'd be good to integrate that work more with worker's comp actuaries. I admit, haven't really thought this through, so don't treat this as any more than rambling.

Lucky for you I was raised by people with a good moral center because if that were not the case, you guys would be in a lot of trouble.
So be very, very glad people like me exist. Your future basically depends on it. --jas66kent

The stock market is going to go up significantly due to Trump Economics --jas66kent
Old 10-20-2011, 02:15 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
I agree that the smaller, focused CAS better serves both casualty actuaries and those who rely on casualty actuaries than a larger joint organization would.

Why not break the SOA into smaller pieces then and hey maybe the CAS as well to serve their constituencies better? How do you know what is the "right" size? There must be some criteria.

Lucky for you I was raised by people with a good moral center because if that were not the case, you guys would be in a lot of trouble.
So be very, very glad people like me exist. Your future basically depends on it. --jas66kent

The stock market is going to go up significantly due to Trump Economics --jas66kent
Old 10-20-2011, 02:27 PM
CAS SOA COPA

Favorite beer: Westmalle Tripel

I'd break them into job segments. You can break CAS into personal and commercial.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLocke View Post
Why not break the SOA into smaller pieces then and hey maybe the CAS as well to serve their constituencies better? How do you know what is the "right" size? There must be some criteria.
Pension actuaries have broken off twice, iirc. If that were a grwoing field I suspect there'd be more traction to that split. And health actuaries would be better served by a society more geared to their needs, imo.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Do we organize ourselves based upon personal interest or public interest? I fail to see how the public benefits in having two actuarial organizations because of an arbitrary line (the work I do is nothing like, say, pension work, but I don't worry about having my interests represented). I used to do disability. I think it'd be good to integrate that work more with worker's comp actuaries. I admit, haven't really thought this through, so don't treat this as any more than rambling.
As Jon Evans remarked, why don't we merge with the accountants and other finance professionals as well, if combining forces is so much in the public interest. I mean, we do have to know a lot of the same stuff, right?

It's not clear to me that such a merger would improve actuarial practice from the point of view of the public, frankly. It's not like other countries with singular actuarial societies have stronger public pension systems, as an example.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 10-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Quote:
There are "smaller pieces" to the SOA, by the way. We've got multiple FSA exam tracks, and then there are the special interest sections, which do a lot of interesting stuff.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 10-20-2011, 02:33 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
There are "smaller pieces" to the SOA, by the way. We've got multiple FSA exam tracks, and then there are the special interest sections, which do a lot of interesting stuff.
Well, right, that's my point. The breaks between SOA/CAS must seem arbitrary to an outsider, since the variation within the SOA is quite vast.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:35 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Pension actuaries have broken off twice, iirc. If that were a grwoing field I suspect there'd be more traction to that split. And health actuaries would be better served by a society more geared to their needs, imo.
The question is why they felt the need. Because the SOA is dominated by life actuaries? I don't know. To me the current setup hardly seems optimal. If smaller pieces are the way to go, then the SOA is too big. I don't see how it can be both that CAS as a smaller focused org is best but the SOA should be this big umbrella org.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Quote:
Well, right, that's my point. The breaks between SOA/CAS must seem arbitrary to an outsider, since the variation within the SOA is quite vast.
It really wouldn't bug me if the SOA and CAS merged (they can't merge with the AAA, but nothing is stopping the two international, educational orgs from merging).

But I'm thinking that it may bug P&C actuaries. They may not like being a few interest sections within the SOA as opposed to their own org.

And really, if there's any proposal for merger, it should be coming from the CAS side, not the SOA side. The SOA side wouldn't have difficulty absorbing their smaller cousin.

LinkedIn Profile