Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:50 AM
CAS

Studying for nothing at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Durant View Post
Did you forget the red font?

If there's even one name missing from the CAS staff listing on their website, then 5,417 / 26 = 208.

I'd consider the staff/member ratio a non-issue given those numbers.
I didn't say it was a significant difference.

And yes, I agree that it is a non-issue.

Bourbon(16)
Pappy Van Winkle-Family Reserve 15yr & lot "B" 12yr
Baker's 7yr
Blanton's
Knob Creek - 9yr
Basil Hayden
Maker's Mark - 46 & Cask Strength
Woodford Reserve
Jack Daniel's-Gentleman Jack, Single Barrel & Old #7
Four Roses Small Batch
Noah's Mill
Kirkland Bourbon - 7yr

Rye(6)
Angle Envy's - Finished Rye
Ravenswood Rye
Bulleit
High West - Double Rye
Whistle Pig - 10 yr
Old Overholt

Scotch(4)
Glenfiddich - The Distiller's Edition
Tomatin 12yr
The Dimple Pinch - 15 yr
Dewar's White Label

Irish(6)

Middleton Very Rare
Redbreast 12yr
Bushmill - Single Malt 16 yr
Connemarai
Jameson - Caskmates Stout and Regular
Old 10-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Past SOA President
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA '76
College: MIT '74

Copied from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
The AAA was created in 1965 partly to do certain things that the SOA is prohibited by law from doing (like lobbying). You simply can't merge the SOA and AAA. Another reason is the fact that SOA is international, while AAA is U.S.-only. How would the Canadians feel about such a merger? It's really preposterous. And an incredible distraction. And cannot be accomplished in a single presidential term. What a waste of time.

Note that Brad Smith never seemed to mention education or research in his speech, even though those are central to the SOA's mission. Might have been nice. Will they be neglected for the next year?
Quote:
Of course this has been discussed for years and years. CRUSAP was just the latest report to recommend merger. When I was SOA president, I effectively said that we shouldn't waste our time on such nonsense and, instead, should just try to work together more cooperatively. That happened reasonably well. I also tried to craft a close alliance between the SOA and CCA, which is far more natural than any other possibility. Even that broke down (due to staff objections, amazingly).

Brad is just wasting all of our time. And he should be focused on the SOA's mission: education and research. Not public policy and impossible mergers.
Quote:
Is it possible that nobody at all has commented yet on the SOA Blog posting of Brad's speech? Or am I just not seeing the comments for some reason? I'm tempted to post about what a terrible idea it is, but then I'll be blamed when others post the same thing.
Quote:
It's also worth observing that CAS is planning to celebrate its centennial in 2014. That's an event of real historical significance. Does anyone believe for a second that CAS would seriously consider merging before 2014? I don't. And Brad will be long gone by then. His presidential term ends in 2012, and he leaves the SOA Board in 2014. He'll be just a footnote while CAS celebrates 100 successful years.
Quote:
One "problem" that Brad cited in his speech -- and there is sympathy for this view -- is that aggregate dues might decrease from eliminating duplication of effort. And employers, for the most part, pay those dues. But the premise is simply not true. There is precious little duplication of effort among the larger actuarial organizations. (CCA, arguably, does duplicate much of what SOA, in particular, already does.) The dues of the combined organizations wouldn't drop very much, unless they stopped doing some of what they do now or stopped accumulating reserve funds. Both of those are actually good ideas, but they can -- and should -- be done without a merger.

The SOA doesn't even really need dues, which represent only about a fourth of its revenue! Alternatively, SOA could reduce exam fees (as I tried to do when I was president). The basic-education system runs a large surplus that subsidizes the rest of the organization. And employers pay most of those costs, too.

As others have said here, Brad should get the SOA's house in order before trying to swallow up all the other organizations.
Bruce
Old 10-21-2011, 11:31 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for unpacking boxes
Favorite beer: Bombadier, London Pride, Any Samuel Smith Beer

I don't really care about consolidation - however - the Academy, the CCA, and the SOA all do continuing education.

I routinely attend webinars from all 3 of those groups. And most of them our usually co-sponsored by at least 2 of them.

I cannot believe that this is efficient.

Along with this, for pension actuaries there are at least 3 continuing education requirements - Enrolled Actuary, Academy and SOA. All of these have different definitions of what is structured content, professionalism, etc.

Let's fix the continuing education nightmare - Let's get standard definitions for structured learning, ethics, professionalism, etc....

Along with this, why the heck does it matter if I have 3 actuaries in a room listening to a webinar or if we each do it at our desks. That is ridiculous.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooHoo View Post
Along with this, for pension actuaries there are at least 3 continuing education requirements - Enrolled Actuary, Academy and SOA. All of these have different definitions of what is structured content, professionalism, etc.
Are you aware that you meet the SOA CE requirements by satisfying the AAA CE requirements? So really you only have 2.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooHoo View Post
I don't really care about consolidation - however - the Academy, the CCA, and the SOA all do continuing education.

I routinely attend webinars from all 3 of those groups. And most of them our usually co-sponsored by at least 2 of them.

I cannot believe that this is efficient. . .
See, this is one of the areas where I think we do better by having separate groups. I go to CAS webinars on casualty topics, and to AAA webinars (co-sponsored by the CAS, but developed by AAA folks) on professionalism. Both are probably more focused and have a better sense of what will be interesting and useful to their constituents than some umbrella organization would. And how is it inefficient? It takes the same number of people to develop and deliver the webinar either way, and both groups buy webinar software from some big organization that does that. It's not like either the CAS or the AAA has a huge IT staff or huge IT needs to make these happen, and that's the only part that would overlap.

(And CAS continuing ed rules are clear enough. Sounds like another reason to stick with what we have.)
Old 10-21-2011, 11:59 AM
CAS SOA COPA

Favorite beer: Westmalle Tripel

Maybe instead of consolidation, we should change this to, proposed elimination of AAA.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Non-Actuary

Did Brad run on this point?

Last edited by merlin; 10-21-2011 at 06:58 PM..
Old 10-21-2011, 07:09 PM

Studying for my SAG card
Favorite beer: whatever other folks are buying

no

http://www.soa.org/leadership/electi...eos-smith.aspx

http://www.soa.org/files/pdf/elect-2010-bod-ballot.pdf
Old 10-28-2011, 05:23 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Wisconsin
Default I can see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammyself View Post
What's this crazy talk? I am an FCAS and I object.
http://blog.casact.org/
Having the seperate training groups in the CAS and SOA promotes a serious weakness for the profession when it comes to our competition in other financial professionals.

Actuaries already start with a black mark as many business people do not see actuarial as a business discipline (a consequence of most colleges housing their actuarial training in Math rather than the Business School).

Having 2 sets of training groups implies that each set of actuaries is a one-trick pony and can never really be expected lead a company as a whole.

At some point, the SOA and CAS need to combine so that business leaders see "an actuary is an actuary" like they do "a CPA is a CPA" and "a CFA is a CFA" or we will be marginalized and left behind.

The AAA is another animal given that it is focused on U.S. items only.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:33 PM
CAS SOA COPA

Favorite beer: Westmalle Tripel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthx View Post
"a CPA is a CPA" and "a CFA is a CFA" or we will be marginalized and left behind.
These are also "one-trick ponies." Don't let your designation define you.