Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:20 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

The link works for me. . .
Excerpts:
See your point status for 2016 on MySOA later this year.
Earn points in 2016 through member participation, such as by volunteering, attending events and more.

FAQ
1. What is this program and why was it created? The SOA created the Member Recognition program to acknowledge the ongoing efforts of our members. This program is another way to recognize your member participation and volunteer efforts that advance the actuarial profession. We developed the recognition point system based on multiple years of data on member involvement.
2. How can I earn points?
You can earn points in one or more areas of involvement: volunteerism, professional interest section participation, continuing professional development, and accessing SOA information (including completion of directory information). Your points are tracked on a calendar year basis.
3. Who is eligible for a gift?
Members who have reached a minimum threshold of 23.5 points or above are eligible for a gift.
4. Is there a limited time to redeem gifts?
Yes, 2015 gifts must be redeemed by July 1, 2016. Click the link in the email you received to redeem your gift.
5. Do gifts change each year?
Each year the SOA plans to have different types of gifts available through this member recognition program.
6. Why are you spending SOA resources on gifts for members?
The SOA appreciates member participation and we want to acknowledge our membersí ongoing participation and volunteer efforts that advance the actuarial profession. If you do not wish to redeem a gift, you can choose to have the SOA make a donation to the Actuarial Foundation.
7. How can I earn points?
You can earn points in many different ways, including: participate in SOA activities; volunteer on projects or committees (research, education, etc.); join a section and get involved; attend an SOA meeting, event or webcast; make sure your directory information is up-to-date and opt in to receive SOA emails.
8. How can I see how many points I have?
Your points for 2015 were included in the special email sent to you. We will send you another email later this year with a status of your 2016 points earned thus far. Towards the end of 2016 you will be able to view your points on your personal MySOA page.
9. I lost my email. How can I find my points and/or redeem my gift?
Contact us to request a copy of your email showing your points and gift eligibility. The special link for redeeming a gift is only for members within the set threshold (23.5 points or above).

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Oct 13, 2017.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
I recommend you get perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
Dude, you can't fail a personality test. It just isn't that kind of test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
I'm disappointed I don't get to do both.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:33 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

original announcement

https://soa.org/News-and-Publication...cognition.aspx

Quote:
Board Announcements – 2016

Plain Talk: Member Recognition

Thank you. These two words hold much meaning. John F. Kennedy said, "As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them."

In honor of the ongoing efforts from our members, and to live by our words, we have created the Society of Actuaries (SOA) Member Recognition program. Through your participation and volunteer efforts you help to advance the actuarial profession. As I noted in a recent issue of The Actuary , the best way we give back to our profession is to be the best actuaries we can be. We want to recognize those who have engaged with the SOA.

We appreciate your involvement with SOA events, projects and activities. Some of you volunteer with exams and education, or reach out to students so they can learn more about becoming an actuary. Others of you conduct studies or review important research involving our industry. Many of you attend SOA events, webinars and meetings, read and share SOA articles and publications, or participate with professional interest sections. There are so many ways you engage with other members, candidates, the actuarial profession and the SOA.

Later this month, you will receive an email with detailed information about the Member Recognition program, as well as its benefits. Through this program, members earn recognition points for their involvement in SOA activities, events and volunteerism. These points may qualify you for a gift from the SOA. Those who qualify will receive a special link to select a gift of your choice. You will also receive information on how you can earn points for future rewards. I encourage you to keep an eye out for this note in your email inbox.

Again, thank you for being part of the SOA and the actuarial profession. I am proud to be a part of this initiative to demonstrate our gratitude for your participation and service.

I am always interested to hear your feedback about this program. Write to me at craig.reynolds@soa.org . You can also connect with me on Twitter @CraigWReynolds and through the SOA President Showcase page on LinkedIn .

Sincerely,
Craig W. Reynolds, FSA, MAAA
SOA President

There's no date on the post, but I think this was in May, so only last month.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 06-13-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
This was generically announced by Craig Reynolds, I believe, some months ago. It was -just- implemented, and I think this is kind of backtesting their system. I assume they'll give us more info going forward.

I got a shirt.
How many points did you have? Sounds like the shirt is one of the "fancy" gifts!
Old 06-13-2016, 07:43 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

and this made me check out my account, and I found that one section keeps track of my most recent publications for me....and upcoming speaking engagements (none, currently). And it lists the various committees I'm on.

Cool, that's gonna be helpful.

Now they just need a function where I can upload this all into LinkedIn.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 06-13-2016, 07:45 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Anyone? View Post
How many points did you have? Sounds like the shirt is one of the "fancy" gifts!
Same as DrNo.

I'm betting we have the same points for about the same reasons - section council stuff, giving presentations, etc.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 06-13-2016, 08:46 PM
SOA AAA

I had 57 points - took the charger.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:09 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Just when CAS thought they had a firm command of the lead...

-Riley

Map of Actuarial Hiring Companies
Old 06-14-2016, 05:37 AM

Thanks for posting! I just searched for the email and found it -- I think I glossed over it as spam. Now if only my company's net-nanny wasn't blocking the site...

As I work for a predominantly P&C company, I think free hats and t-shirts are a much better way to spend my employer's dues contributions than the CAS Invasion they were otherwise going toward.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:22 AM

SOA invokes JFK's Thanksgiving proclamation to announce their new gamification program. It's just perfect.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:03 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Look, nothing wrong with a lot of the SOA leadership being old Democrats.

Other than when they book sketchy ex-Senators as speakers at SOA meetings. hmmm

LinkedIn Profile