Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:38 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
Maybe she'll discuss the problems with bending your data until you get something publishable
Spoiler:
Old 05-10-2017, 04:02 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I think I'll have to Vogue before my next presentation.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:23 PM

Favorite beer: BBC Bourbon Stout

If you struck a power pose while typing the bolded lines, OP, you wouldn't have had to bold them.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:25 PM
SOA AAA

That speaker had better be wearing some Power Pose shoes at the SOA meeting if she wants to get her message across.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:03 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for naught.
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
― J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 05-11-2017, 05:08 PM
SOA

College: Alumni

I have not seen this particular presentation, but my impression from the description was that it is intended to help actuaries, who generally speaking tend to be poor communicators, improve their communication skills. Given that non-verbal cues are a very important aspect of communication, I would think this type of presentation would be a good thing. Having said that, I am surprised to hear all of the negative comments, but then again, I have not actually witnessed the presentation.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:14 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Actuary View Post
I have not seen this particular presentation, but my impression from the description was that it is intended to help actuaries, who generally speaking tend to be poor communicators, improve their communication skills. Given that non-verbal cues are a very important aspect of communication, I would think this type of presentation would be a good thing. Having said that, I am surprised to hear all of the negative comments, but then again, I have not actually witnessed the presentation.
This is her Ted talk that was referred to. Was a big viral hit when I was in Uni going on job interviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks-_Mh1QhMc
Old 05-11-2017, 05:36 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

I think it's akin to the feather given to Dumbo.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 05-11-2017, 05:52 PM
SOA

College: Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
This is her Ted talk that was referred to. Was a big viral hit when I was in Uni going on job interviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks-_Mh1QhMc
This looks like a worthwhile presentation that many actuaries could benefit from to me. Thanks for posting!
Old 05-11-2017, 06:15 PM
SOA AAA

Could save some money by just showing the youtube viddeo at the meeting.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.