Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 01-20-2015, 01:14 PM
CAS

Studying for 5
College: South Alabama(BS)/Jacksonville State (MBA)
Favorite beer: Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
Rumor alert.

The SOA adjusts the difficulty dynamically depending on the performance of previous students sitting for the exam in that window. If more students are passing than usual, the difficulty is increased. The opposite is true as well. This protects the integrity of the exam process and maintains the quality of the ASA credential.

This could be a total lie, but this is what I've been told.
I'm taking it on the last day hoping everyone who takes it before me fails and they make it super easy.
Online Course 2
COP
Old 01-20-2015, 01:28 PM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness0632 View Post
FWIW red text on the AO means sarcasm.

They don't adjust the difficulty that would completely ruin the SOA's integrity.

It's very simple, people who take the exam earlier in the window are more prepared so they think the exam is easier. People later in the window are less prepared so the exam seems harder.(on average)
Old 01-20-2015, 02:46 PM
SOA

See what the SOA has to say on this..

"Some of the preliminary examinations are administered and scored according to computer–based testing methodologies. For the other multiple–choice examinations, a modified Angoff passing score study is performed. This is a common testing and measurement technique where a panel of experts in the subject material reviews the examination. Each expert is asked to review each question in the examination, and assess the difficulty of that question. More specifically, they are asked to estimate the likelihood that a candidate with minimum adequate knowledge competency would answer the question correctly. The sum of these probabilities, averaged across the panel of experts, gives a preliminary estimate of the pass mark.

The estimated pass mark resulting from the modified Angoff passing score study is compared to and balanced with the actual performance statistics on the examination in finalizing the pass mark. The effects of any particularly difficult questions are also factored into the determination of the final pass mark."
Old 01-20-2015, 03:19 PM
SOA

I do not believe that the pass marks are adjusted based on early exam takers for the sitting in question.

I suspect that each question is given a weight on a scale of 1-10 based on difficulty (which may have influenced by the results on previous sittings). A panel then decides how many correct answers are required based on a series of average scores. Eg. avg. difficulty of 6 may require 20/30 to pass whereas an exam with an avg. difficulty of 5 may require 22/30 to pass.

Perhaps, each CBT randomly generates questions with a uniform distribution of average difficulty of say 5 to 7 with each exam pass mark already predetermined. This would ensure that the papers are fairly assessed from sitting to sitting so if more students meet the minimum requirement on a particular sitting than normal then so be it. What this means is that more students would have been more adequately prepared than other sittings.

My two cents worth on this.. I could be wrong.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:21 PM
CAS

False.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:31 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicn@rf View Post
I do not believe that the pass marks are adjusted based on early exam takers for the sitting in question.

I suspect that each question is given a weight on a scale of 1-10 based on difficulty (which may have influenced by the results on previous sittings). A panel then decides how many correct answers are required based on a series of average scores. Eg. avg. difficulty of 6 may require 20/30 to pass whereas an exam with an avg. difficulty of 5 may require 22/30 to pass.

Perhaps, each CBT randomly generates questions with a uniform distribution of average difficulty of say 5 to 7 with each exam pass mark already predetermined. This would ensure that the papers are fairly assessed from sitting to sitting so if more students meet the minimum requirement on a particular sitting than normal then so be it. What this means is that more students would have been more adequately prepared than other sittings.

My two cents worth on this.. I could be wrong.
Apparently here goes..

"each administration consists of multiple versions of the examination given
over a period of several days. The examinations are constructed and scored using Item Response Theory (IRT). Under IRT, each operational item that appears on an examination has been calibrated for difficulty and other test statistics and the pass mark for each examination is determined before the examination is given. All versions of the examination are constructed to be of comparable difficulty to one another."
Old 01-20-2015, 03:32 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness0632 View Post
FWIW red text on the AO means sarcasm.

They don't adjust the difficulty that would completely ruin the SOA's integrity.

It's very simple, people who take the exam earlier in the window are more prepared so they think the exam is easier. People later in the window are less prepared so the exam seems harder.(on average)
This.

I was tangentially involved when the CAS helped transfer the joint prelininary exams to CBT. They used "standard computer–based testing methodologies". Which don't involve one person's performance in this window affecting other people sitting later in the window. I would be shocked if the exams were adjusted that way. I would be not-at-all-shocked to learn that people who think they need two more days to study are, on average less prepared than people who pick a conveninent date that happens to be earlier in the window, or than people who want to get it over with as soon as possible.