Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-18-2015, 10:11 PM
CAS SOA

Favorite beer: Belly Flop

Show starts in 20 min. Love all the kids dressed up!!!!!
Old 12-19-2015, 09:24 PM

Star Jeebus Wars!
Old 12-20-2015, 09:09 PM
CAS

Overheard at family Christmas shindig from my 14 year old cousin: "I used to think Star Wars was stupid until I saw the new ones."

I had to leave the room.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:12 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGillotine View Post
Overheard at family Christmas shindig from my 14 year old cousin: "I used to think Star Wars was stupid until I saw the new ones."

I had to leave the room.
Yikes. Tell his parents on him!
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 12-21-2015, 11:57 PM
CAS

Found a copy of the de-specialized version of the original trilogy. You can download it legally if you have the blue-ray set. Google "Star Wars Despecialized". It's a really good restoration.

I watched Ep IV and V today and noticed a few things I hadn't last time I saw them or had forgotten.

- The dubbing for Darth Vader is actually pretty corny on Ep IV. The low budget shows in some areas but the effects overall are still pretty solid. The set design is pretty phenomenal and the Battle of Yavin should be remembered forever as one of the most exciting special effects scenes ever. You do have to pay attention though, as the deaths of the other rebel fighters have some importance to the intensity (as Luke is their last hope and the stakes get higher as the rebels ahead of him fail or die).

- Alec Guinness actually puts on a really nuanced performance. My entire life I've had a pretty set image of him based on seeing the whole trilogy, but if you forget you know him there's a legitimate question of how sane he is in Ep IV. He's got a little madness in his eyes. Also for some reason I had it in my mind that the lightsaber battle between him and Darth Vader in the Death Star was super cheesy but it's really not. It's not acrobatic but it's a totally fine fight scene. Better than any of the fights involving Count Dooku or the Emperor.

There's a good line in Empire Strikes Back as Luke is about to leave to save the others: Yoda: "Told you I did, reckless is he. Now... matters are worse."
Obi-Wan: "That boy is our last hope."
Yoda: "No, there is another."

Beautiful foreshadowing, and if you were seeing this for the first time, basically establishes that Luke is allowed to die in this movie, which makes things really interesting. Also appreciate how legitimate the dilemma is, unlike movies like The Dark Knight where it's totally contrived and pointless. Let Han, Leia, Chewbacca, and C3PO be tortured/killed and risk yourself, or stay and train. It's also interesting that the apparently selfless move here is a mistake. This movie gives you a lot to chew over.

- Vader really is like the weird henchman in Ep IV, and Tarkin is definitely the main villain. He's like Oddjob or Jaws. in Ep V, he's definitely the main villain, and he looks much more intimidating.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:58 AM

First if all....RN on odd job and jaws. 2nd, thanks for reminding me I had this ID. So many sleepers, so little time. Sadly no Jame bond which is weird because I've seen them all 100 times especially the Moore ones.

How long has it been since you've seen the originals? All of that seems about right. Was there something particularly poignant about the de-specialized version? Those are the ones I'm most familiar with assuming that means original original and not the post 97 shit. Since pre 97 were my prime star wars viewing years....Anywhoo more tomorrow kinda druno now.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:13 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Templar View Post
First if all....RN on odd job and jaws. 2nd, thanks for reminding me I had this ID. So many sleepers, so little time. Sadly no Jame bond which is weird because I've seen them all 100 times especially the Moore ones.

How long has it been since you've seen the originals? All of that seems about right. Was there something particularly poignant about the de-specialized version? Those are the ones I'm most familiar with assuming that means original original and not the post 97 shit. Since pre 97 were my prime star wars viewing years....Anywhoo more tomorrow kinda druno now.
The despecialized versions lack unnecessary cringe-inducing CGI nonsense slapped on the screen. But they've been digitally restored so that it has blue-ray quality picture.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:01 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Actuary View Post
Ha, most of this could be said about VII lol imo
Lol, I thought it was, and was trying to figure out what the numbers meant. Then I saw the post-date.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:51 PM
CAS

Wonder if we could eventually get a true ROTJ remake with this ending. This would be awesome. I'd almost forgive the new trilogy for aping TESB and ROTJ if this is how it ended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kurtz
We had an outline and George changed everything in it. Instead of bittersweet and poignant he wanted a euphoric ending with everybody happy. The original idea was that they would recover [the kidnapped] Han Solo in the early part of story and that he would then die in the middle part of the film in a raid on an Imperial base. George then decided he didn't want any of the principals killed. By that time there were really big toy sales and that was a reason.
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/aug...rtz-20100812/2

EDIT: THIS IS IN THE WRONG SUB-FORUM! PLEASE, THINK OF THE CHILDREN.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:36 PM
CAS

RIP Gary Kurtz