Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 10-12-2019, 06:31 PM
SOA

Studying for IFM
College: UCONN
Favorite beer: Blue Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecko09 View Post
Congrats dude. I am not using CA as I found that there are too many other study resources for this exam. May I ask: At what difficulty level will you put the SOA sample questions? At the same time, what exam level are the ASM practice exams?
I just did the MC section of Fall 2018 exam and got a 17/20 in just under 80 minutes. Since I get a similar score on an Adapt EL 5 while barely finishing on time, I would estimate these problems between level 3 and 4 for the most part. I'm not sure what the general consensus is on the MC section of this exam, but I know the exam itself had a very low pass rate, so these questions might even be harder than they will be going forward.

As far as ASM, I have not had any experience with those practice exams, so I can't comment.
Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylartheactuary View Post
How generous are you guys usually with partial credit? I'm doing pretty well on the exams but feel like it's largely due to me being overly generous with the partial credit I assign. Is there any methodology you guys follow?
I've been giving myself about half of the points if the formulas were more or less correct, but I couldn't figure the answer out (for example, if I make a mistake in an integral or something).

I've had a couple written answer questions where I know that I got it right, but I don't know if my explanation was good enough to convey that I knew what I was talking about, so 50% for that as well.

For questions where I don't do any work and just write down the formula, I usually give myself one point (if it's like a 3 pt problem).

Not sure there's a good way to do it. I just try to remember if I'm generous on one part, I'll be harsher on a different part.
APC
Old Today, 02:04 PM
SOA

College: Monster University
Favorite beer: Root Beer Count?

Less than two weeks left, but SOA hasn't still updated the exam center yet. Should I expect the exact location sometime this week?