Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 07-19-2018, 10:47 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
Have you done ADAPT quizzes? I do 10-question quizzes after each section.
I'm on premiums right now.

So far, there wasn't a single problem I didn't know how to solve. I make a silly calculation mistake on my quizzes and end up with a 9, but I at least know how to solve every problem.

Now, my ASM and TIA friends & coworkers on the other hand...

We decided to study together once and I was a bit afraid when I saw them solve problems in ways I haven't seen, but every single time, they say "Wait, was it this formula or that formula"?
I got all the questions right in our get together sessions, while they got almost everything wrong.
You must be so proud of yourself. I have an average IQ and TIA worked pretty damn well for me and helped me master MLC...
Old 07-19-2018, 10:48 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NchooseK View Post
1) Memorize the integral of xe^-x.

2) And know the geometric series well.

3) If this needs to be said, be comfortable with the laws of exponents.

4) If you see a tough integral, there is probably a better way to do it.

5) They go easy on the Calculus. No limits, time-consuming integrals, I can't recall any derivatives. No trig, no surface-area integrals. The only double integrals will look like this: int(from 0 to inf) of e^(-int from 0 to t of likely a constant). Also double integrals in the Markov Chain section. Markov chains can get messy, so perform each integral on one line. You will see. They are very easy individually if you avoid the clunkiness.

6) Again if this needs to be said, remember to switch the sign of the inequality when mult/dividing by a negative number. You will be taking a ton of natural logs of positive numbers less than 1, which are obviously negative. Can kinda get screwy with tons of minus signs.

7) Spare yourself the Calculus and read Makeham's Law at the bottom of the new set of tables.

8) The new topic on Long-Term Insurance Coverage has some messing around with integral limits, but it is straightforward.

9) Know the following integral with respect to t: x^t.

10) mu_x+t = f_t(x)/S_t(x)

This forum needs native LaTeX.

You'll do great!
Liar has a pretty high IQ, so he should be okay.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:56 AM
SOA

College: University of Colorado

I'm really liking the CA manual so far. It feels like the way the manual is written is actually how we ought to write WA portion of the exam.

A lot of the derivations are straightforward but what might seem meticulous and tedious at first starts making a ton of sense and if I were a grader, I would give more partial credit to the way that CA derives a lot of the equations because they go step by step.

Anyway, plenty of time before October to practice this but I've started trying to take CA's approach even on the ADAPT MC problems, just in the hope that it subconsciously prepares me for the WA.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:18 AM
SOA

Can't decide if I should get just the manual or the manual plus videos from CA. Honestly, I can't decide if I should even sit for this in October or try Predictive Analytics in December. I'm giving myself until 7/24 when they release the PA modules to make my final decision and then I need to get to work.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:52 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicjello View Post
Can't decide if I should get just the manual or the manual plus videos from CA. Honestly, I can't decide if I should even sit for this in October or try Predictive Analytics in December. I'm giving myself until 7/24 when they release the PA modules to make my final decision and then I need to get to work.
You don't need a manual for this exam. Videos are enough. Honestly, I'd go with TIA but that's just my personal preference because the instructor for MLC/LTAM is incredible and explains everything very well.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:36 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuariallyDecentAtBest View Post
You don't need a manual for this exam. Videos are enough. Honestly, I'd go with TIA but that's just my personal preference because the instructor for MLC/LTAM is incredible and explains everything very well.
This will be my 4th (uggghhh) sitting, and I've been through the videos before (both TIA and CA, actually). So, while I normally am a proponent for the videos, I'm wondering if they are necessary/appropriate for me personally for this sitting. My biggest hurdle at this point is time, so I'm planning to really hammer on practice problems, BUT I definitely need something for learning the new material, and there are obviously topics I am weak on that I think a manual (or videos) could help me sort out.

On another note, I am VERY tempted to take a break from this exam and start from "scratch" for the spring sitting. Maybe do a live seminar at that time.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:53 PM
SOA

Studying for Undecided
College: University of Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicjello View Post
This will be my 4th (uggghhh) sitting, and I've been through the videos before (both TIA and CA, actually). So, while I normally am a proponent for the videos, I'm wondering if they are necessary/appropriate for me personally for this sitting. My biggest hurdle at this point is time, so I'm planning to really hammer on practice problems, BUT I definitely need something for learning the new material, and there are obviously topics I am weak on that I think a manual (or videos) could help me sort out.

On another note, I am VERY tempted to take a break from this exam and start from "scratch" for the spring sitting. Maybe do a live seminar at that time.
Which did you like most? TIA or CA?
Old 07-23-2018, 07:35 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meepo View Post
Which did you like most? TIA or CA?

I like the TIA videos, forum, and video solutions better, but I prefer CA Adapt to the TIA practice problem system and I like having the CA manual better than the TIA lecture "notes". I don't think either product is bad or weak, and personally haven't noticed a huge difference in one against the other for this exam (MLC at least). Some exams it seems that one is definitely the way to go, but here feels more like personal preference.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:42 AM
SOA

Studying for PA
College: Eastern Kentucky University Graduate

For those of you using the TIA seminar, how many questions have you completed in the worked problems bank and about whats your first pass percentage? I'm almost finished (Appx 600 problems worked) and sitting around 55%.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:15 AM
James Washer / Notes Contributor
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettin Lucky In Kentucky View Post
For those of you using the TIA seminar, how many questions have you completed in the worked problems bank and about whats your first pass percentage? I'm almost finished (Appx 600 problems worked) and sitting around 55%.
That's great!

This week we are going to add the SOA sample problems to the bank.

We help people pass actuarial exams.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.