Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Actuarial Science Universities Forum > University of Central Florida
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

University of Central Florida Actuarial Contacts - Stephen G. Kellison, Matthew Modisett, Jerry Han, Gary Gau
http://www.cas.ucf.edu/statistics/actuarial.htm

Old 06-05-2009, 10:34 AM

Default UCF to Cut Act. Sci Program

The future has the words "could", a friend of mine at the school didnt put it so lightly....

http://www.centralfloridafuture.com/...ions-1.1759764
Old 07-06-2009, 03:54 PM

Dear UCF Alumni:

As you all know, UCF has proposed a plan to eliminate the Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science. Personally, I believe this is a bad and wrong idea. The department has received a lot of supports.

On Monday July 13, the UCF Board of Trustees (BOT) Educational Programs committee will meet to discuss the program elimination. Then, on July 23, the full BOT will decide whether to approve the Provost's recommendation for program elimination.

Take care,

Gary
Old 07-08-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
Dear UCF Alumni:

As you all know, UCF has proposed a plan to eliminate the Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science. Personally, I believe this is a bad and wrong idea. The department has received a lot of supports.

On Monday July 13, the UCF Board of Trustees (BOT) Educational Programs committee will meet to discuss the program elimination. Then, on July 23, the full BOT will decide whether to approve the Provost's recommendation for program elimination.

Take care,

Gary
Is this Gary Gau?
Old 07-08-2009, 03:53 PM

Yes, it's me. Let's hope for the best.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:58 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

while I think it is a shame, how big is the department? how many majors graduated this year? how many faculty/staff are there? does the department offer courses that are used by those outside the department?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
Yes, it's me. Let's hope for the best.
Good to hear from you again. Dont know if ya remember me or not, but I do wish you guys the best. Per Nickersons suggestion a bunch of us wrote letters to the school for you. Best of luck.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier View Post
while I think it is a shame, how big is the department? how many majors graduated this year? how many faculty/staff are there? does the department offer courses that are used by those outside the department?
The whole statistics/actuarial department has been determined to be cut. Actuarial was about 80 and my guess is stats is about 200. Factult/Staff is probably around 20. From what I have heard through the grapevine all the stats classes are being cut, which is odd to me since stat 1 and 2 (methods, not theory (((the easy stat classes)))) were used in course catalogs of things like psychology and chemistry amongst many others.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

I assume another department would be offering the easy stats classes. The experimental sciences needing such classes could also come up with their own classes -- for example, "Experimental stats for Psych". Sometimes the math department offers the "easy stats" classes.

I assume if something is required for a major, the major departments will figure out something.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 07-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Will Durant

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerhs5 View Post
The whole statistics/actuarial department has been determined to be cut.
My guess is this means the stats and act sci majors will be eliminated, perhaps replaced with concentrations under a math major. And the general ed stats classes will be offered under the math department. Doesn't sound like the end of the world.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

College: Yes

http://orlando.bizjournals.com/orlan...29/story2.html

Quote:
The University of Central Florida will use $36.6 million in federal stimulus funds over the next two years to save five academic programs and 51 jobs, and prevent salary cuts for 236 faculty and staff members.

On June 4, UCF President John Hitt announced $77.2 million in budget cuts would result in the elimination of the university’s cardiopulmonary sciences, engineering technology, management information systems, radiologic sciences, and statistics and actuarial sciences programs.

But on June 18, the Florida Board of Governors recommended state lawmakers give UCF the stimulus money for fiscal years 2009-10 and 2010-11, allowing the school to save those programs for at least two more years.

However, there’s little chance of those programs being reinstated beyond that time period, said UCF Provost and Executive Vice President Terry Hickey. “These are programs that, for one reason or another, need to be eliminated.”

More...