Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:03 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for PA,FAP
College: When the smog clears, _ _ _ _
Favorite beer: PABST! BLUE RIBBON!
Default Entry Level resume help?

Hey AO,

I've weeded out most of the stuff I've done, for this resume (i.e. only the most defining activities/experience is in it) but for some reason it feels simultaneously stuffy and not descriptive/deep enough.

What do you think about it? Is it in the Goldilocks zone for information on me professionally?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Dummy resume.pdf (86.7 KB, 69 views)

------------------------------------------
P FM MFE C MLC VEE Economics VEE Applied Statistics VEE Corporate Finance PA FAP

Want to connect on LinkedIn? PM me!
Old 07-23-2018, 06:20 PM
SOA

College: University of Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereIsNoSpoon View Post
Hey AO,

I've weeded out most of the stuff I've done, for this resume (i.e. only the most defining activities/experience is in it) but for some reason it feels simultaneously stuffy and not descriptive/deep enough.

What do you think about it? Is it in the Goldilocks zone for information on me professionally?
The formatting makes it difficult to read. The use of bold and tab alignment is inconsistent and doesn't look professional, IMO. More white space would help.

Other things that I think could be improved:
  • I don't think the bullets within the education section are needed.
  • The date formats are fine, but I would recommend putting the start and end dates on your work and volunteer experiences.
  • The bulk of your text is about your educational accomplishments and volunteer experiences. Assuming that you have 2 years of work experience, it looks like you are trying to hide your professional actuarial experience.
  • Verbs like updated, collaborated, tracked, validated, and prepared are very weak. They give the impression that you are a passive participant in the work and don't understand what you are doing. Use action oriented verbs to show that you understand your role in the process and how it impacts your team/company.
  • This may be nit picky, but I would not list yourself as a "High school financial management teacher" in the volunteer section. IMO, the use of the word teacher implies a profession for which you are paid. I'm assuming that you volunteered with a company that had a lesson plan that you presented to a class for a day or so. If you are actually developing lesson plans, curriculum, and grading without pay, I would recommend moving it to the work experiences section.
  • I'm of the opinion that if you can learn 1 coding language, then you can learn most of them. I don't think it helps to list proficiency levels. IMO, you can either use the language or you cannot.