Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 05-01-2015, 03:23 PM
SOA Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphacoa View Post
Well I certainly think you should apply for the job, whats the worst that can happen? People in this thread all seem to think you already have the job. More than likely they will consider you over qualified and you wouldn't even get the offer.

Personally, I think working is better than not working generally. The longer you are out of school without a position the worse off you will be, that's a fact.

...there's no guarantee that you'll get the job. Apply if it will make you feel better. I recently just did this for a temporary position (not mail room clerk, but pretty close) at a local insurance company, thinking pretty much the same thing as you are (networking opportunity?!) and didn't even get a rejection letter...
Old 05-01-2015, 03:44 PM
SOA

Studying for ILA - Life Pricing
Favorite beer: Blanche de Chambly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgray189 View Post

...there's no guarantee that you'll get the job. Apply if it will make you feel better. I recently just did this for a temporary position (not mail room clerk, but pretty close) at a local insurance company, thinking pretty much the same thing as you are (networking opportunity?!) and didn't even get a rejection letter...
In that case, I would advise andyrising to not apply to this job.
FAC PEC
Old 05-01-2015, 04:21 PM

Current President and former CEO of GEICO started in the mailroom as far as I know.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:37 PM
SOA

Tony Nicely (Geico's CEO) says he started in the mailroom. I foresee some snarky comments about Geico following this post, but ultimately, CEO of a top 3 auto insurer is still CEO of a top 3 auto insurer.

What working full-time (in any position) proves is that you have work ethic. No one here seems to have mentioned that (I don't think), but I think that's the most important part. Employers want to know you have a job, not just to prove that you can both work and study at the same time (although that is important), but to show that you are a working type of person.

It's unrealistic to think that you'll be studying 8 hours/day; and even if you did, studying full time in the comfortable home that someone else is providing for you still looks lazy. It shows no real-world capabilities. Passing exams is important, but a candidate that can study hard but can't work hard or communicate well is completely worthless.

Have you ever had an interviewer ask you what you'd do if you won the lottery? The answer they want to hear is "Well, I think I'd still be working here. I love my job; I love to work."
Old 05-01-2015, 04:49 PM
SOA

Studying for ILA - Life Pricing
Favorite beer: Blanche de Chambly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhst25 View Post
Tony Nicely (Geico's CEO) says he started in the mailroom. I foresee some snarky comments about Geico following this post, but ultimately, CEO of a top 3 auto insurer is still CEO of a top 3 auto insurer.

What working full-time (in any position) proves is that you have work ethic. No one here seems to have mentioned that (I don't think), but I think that's the most important part. Employers want to know you have a job, not just to prove that you can both work and study at the same time (although that is important), but to show that you are a working type of person.

It's unrealistic to think that you'll be studying 8 hours/day; and even if you did, studying full time in the comfortable home that someone else is providing for you still looks lazy. It shows no real-world capabilities. Passing exams is important, but a candidate that can study hard but can't work hard or communicate well is completely worthless.

Have you ever had an interviewer ask you what you'd do if you won the lottery? The answer they want to hear is "Well, I think I'd still be working here. I love my job; I love to work."
Solid post.

Now wait for the haters to nitpick on your last paragraph.
FAC PEC
Old 05-01-2015, 04:59 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
LOL what a donkey response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:01 PM
CAS

Quote:
I have never been asked such a question, but if someone did I'd have a hard time not going with a humorous answer. "Two chicks at one time".
Old 05-01-2015, 05:02 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Itas View Post
I have never been asked with such a question, but if someone did I'd have a hard time not going with a humorous answer. "Two chicks at one time".

Quote:
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:02 PM
CAS

also, RN

Quote:
Old 05-01-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
What a donkey answer! I have nothing against work but, come on.
edit : nijaed by CS on that one lol