Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 05-05-2015, 12:08 PM

In general you need to develop the skill of knowing when a supposed expert is snowballing you. No proof by obfuscation or proof by fancy language here, buddy. Let's get down to brass tacks. Which aren't even brass anymore.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:12 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Kwak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Every insurance company nowadays wants a brand-spanking new analytics team/Big Data/Data Science or whatever you want to call it. When you become that techno-illiterate manager, how are you going to make sense of what your army of PhD drones tell you, what if it's all over your head?
The same way they'll have to convince the other techno-illiterate managers.

Besides, it won't be over my head since I have a math background. I'll crack open a stats book and go through the methods they recommend. I'm not asked to conduct new research in the area, or to even implement the methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
you are a visionary
Old 05-05-2015, 12:21 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral Omen View Post
Not a straight shooter. Upper management not written anywhere on you.
Meh, I did other things that were frowned upon in that job in trying to change things, but hey, what else do you expect to do when you come into a company with a low-leveled position when you're more qualified than your managers to do the work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Every insurance company nowadays wants a brand-spanking new analytics team/Big Data/Data Science or whatever you want to call it. When you become that techno-illiterate manager, how are you going to make sense of what your army of PhD drones tell you, what if it's all over your head?
You just force them to do it the way you want it done.

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: Linear Optimization/Programming, Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition
Old 05-05-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetist View Post
Meh, I did other things that were frowned upon in that job in trying to change things, but hey, what else do you expect to do when you come into a company with a low-leveled position when you're more qualified than your managers to do the work?
TZK?
Old 05-05-2015, 12:38 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Kwak

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetist View Post
I'd learn to more effectively influence people, since you really can't have much impact working by yourself on an enterprise level, no matter how good you are.

Even if you go off and start your own actuarial tech services firm, you'll still have to sell your solutions to the same managers.

I have no idea how to go about this, but that's my current strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
you are a visionary
Old 05-05-2015, 12:41 PM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral Omen View Post
I'd learn to more effectively influence people, since you really can't have much impact working by yourself on an enterprise level, no matter how good you are.

Even if you go off and start your own actuarial tech services firm, you'll still have to sell your solutions to the same managers.

I have no idea how to go about this, but that's my current strategy.
You've gotta be able to explain it to people like they're about 10, without being insulting. Short sentances, very clear and persauding messaging. Some also resort to just shouting through dissenting opinion, but that's sub-optimal.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:31 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikelfritz View Post
You've gotta be able to explain it to people like they're about 10, without being insulting. Short sentances, very clear and persauding messaging. Some also resort to just shouting through dissenting opinion, but that's sub-optimal.
So should I hand out my copies of "The Cat in the Hat" to warm them up before my next code peer review, or just save that for show-and-tell on Friday?
Old 05-05-2015, 01:34 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Oveur View Post
So should I hand out my copies of "The Cat in the Hat" to warm them up before my next code peer review, or just save that for show-and-tell on Friday?
Onefish
Twofish
Redfish
Bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:36 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

You're not going to convince snikelfritz. As a non-tech saavy guy he can't understand why napster is one of the greatest things to have happened in the tech age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.