Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams - General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 01-11-2018, 02:20 AM
CAS

Default New to CAS

Hi everyone,

I am one of the few people taking CAS Exams in Europe and I would like to ask a couple of questions to you guys that have more experience than me.
First of all, let me explain my situation to give you an overview of myself. I have done all the technical exams with the IFoA(UK) and I found them really interesting, however this is not the case for the upper level exams. These are more essay exams rather than technical and/or mathematical as the CAS exams are.
This reason is the main driver why I have started to look into the CAS exams and why I have decided to go down this route, moreover I am willing to move to the US (my wife is from Illinois) and having a US qualification may help me to find a job there rather than having a UK one.
I have contacted the CAS study department and I should be granted credit for the preliminary exam and so I have decided to take Exam 7 this May.
The main question is about what study material do you guys advice me to take? I have done some research and downloaded sample from the various websites and the material provided by ALL10 is the one I like the most; I think I will get that one (actually I really like TIA, but my company is not paying that much).

What do you guys think? Do you guys have any piece of advice to give me? Any suggestion or recommendation will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much
Old 01-11-2018, 03:28 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco_park View Post
Hi everyone,

I am one of the few people taking CAS Exams in Europe and I would like to ask a couple of questions to you guys that have more experience than me.
First of all, let me explain my situation to give you an overview of myself. I have done all the technical exams with the IFoA(UK) and I found them really interesting, however this is not the case for the upper level exams. These are more essay exams rather than technical and/or mathematical as the CAS exams are.
This reason is the main driver why I have started to look into the CAS exams and why I have decided to go down this route, moreover I am willing to move to the US (my wife is from Illinois) and having a US qualification may help me to find a job there rather than having a UK one.
I have contacted the CAS study department and I should be granted credit for the preliminary exam and so I have decided to take Exam 7 this May.
The main question is about what study material do you guys advice me to take? I have done some research and downloaded sample from the various websites and the material provided by ALL10 is the one I like the most; I think I will get that one (actually I really like TIA, but my company is not paying that much).

What do you guys think? Do you guys have any piece of advice to give me? Any suggestion or recommendation will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much
Why have you chosen to jump into CAS exams with exam 7, Mr. Polo, rather than, say, 5? If your in the UK, why is your company paying anything for CAS exams?

Questions about third-party study materials for a particular exam might get a better response in that exam's sub-forum (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...play.php?f=284). To some degree an answer to those questions might have more to do with personal preference. If you like ALL10, it fits in your budget and your personal learning style, by all means go for it. I'm many years removed from exams but I did not personally find much value in ALL10's materials that were available. (It's very possible they have improved since then.) In addition to ALL10 and TIA, I have also heard good things about The Casual Fellow and Rising Fellow for exam 7.

Finally (for now), if you're looking for the profession to be very technical/mathematical, you are likely to be disappointed, at least in the US. Most actuarial roles are business positions with a quantitative bent, rather than math jobs with some business application, if that makes sense.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:19 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

Why not complete your credentialing in the UK and just apply for mutual recognition?

http://www.casact.org/membership/join/mr/

The only thing that you're likely going to need to get "caught up on" in terms of working for a US company would be the accounting material (CAS Exam 6U); but you're better off learning the things about this with your company than trying to tackle the Exam in an environment that is absent of (US) Annual Statements.

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 01-15-2018, 09:38 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 8

Most people I know use TIA for the upper level exams (company pays). Some people use Casual Fellow or Rising Fellow or something else but more often than not they also have TIA.

Also, is the format really that different? There are essay questions on the US exams too.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:50 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
Most people I know use TIA for the upper level exams (company pays). Some people use Casual Fellow or Rising Fellow or something else but more often than not they also have TIA.

Also, is the format really that different? There are essay questions on the US exams too.
The UK exams are much tougher at the upper level from what I have observed.
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Old 01-16-2018, 03:37 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 7
Favorite beer: Spruce Springsteen

I would recommend the Casual Fellow & Rising Fellow package for Exam 7.